Your favourite picks, and why?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just made a wooden one from silver birch. I love carving but had never made a pick before. So far I really like it, and didn't expect to. Nice warm tone. Going to have a go at making some more, I think.

DSCF6495.jpg

DSCF6499.jpg

• Members

I thought the same myself from looking at the pictures. The Stiletto looks quite pointy. Any opinion as to which V-pick would best approximate a Fender medium? I like to get strummy with those & picky with JazzyT.

I really like the "Small Pointed Lite" for acoustic playing. It's thicker than I usually use, but sounds and feels really good. And I don't play Fender picks, but other than the fact that it's thicker, the "Tradition Lite" is really similar in size/feel to the Tortex picks I've used forever.

EDIT: There's a "Jazz Pack" on the front page of the V-Picks site that looks awesome.

• Members

I never thought too much about picks until I bought a V-Pick Freakishly large on a whim. Holy cow! What a revelation. I went on a V-Pick splurge and my favorites are the Diamond and Dimension Junior for electric, and the Insanity and Colossal for the resonators. The X-Pick is also cool for electric, as well.
Wegen picks are also cool. I have one called The Button, which is excellent for rhythm guitar.

• Members

DV016_Jpg_Large_110080_single_front.jpg

I've played Jazz III for years, but when I started playing my 12 string strat, this pick made tuning individual strings a lot easier. It's really hard, sharp attack, and they last forever. Never dropped one live either.

• Members

Fender mediums or heavies for me in either black or white. I have a very heavy touch and will go through at least a pick a rehearsal so I prefer to buy them by the gross when I can. Also for the price of picks just try a bunch and see what you like. It's sometimes good to play with a different pick en you are used to anyway as it can certainly bring out some different aspects of your playing. Especially if you go from a heavy or stiff pick to a lighter or more flexible one.

• Members

FenderPicks.jpg

Yes these.

I will also take white or pearl.

I keep some mediums, some extra-heavies and some Tortex and Claytons around too.

They don't seem to make my favorite medium-heavy anymore.

The older ones were shaped better. The ones in the pic have a good point.

• Members

so, don't you notice any extra string wear when you use those?

Heck yeah, but it still sounds OK.

Especially notice wear after I've filed/sanded the edges to a sharp point :)

• Members

Been using yellow Tortex for ages they feel just comfy.

But have one of these:
http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/1051-dava_master_control_nickel_silver_pick
Interesting trial, feels accurate and bright.

2542_standard.jpg?1330438256

the MASTER CONTROL PICK offers the flexibility and grip of plastic plus the power and precision of our insert-moulded nickel silver tip

How flexable is this stevics? And the moulded tip is metal right?

• Members

If I hold it in my conventional manner it's similar flex to a Tortex yellow. If you hold it shorter it gets stiff.

Having said that, I suppose that applies to most picks!

Yes its just the tip that is nickel.

• Members

I buy my picks from this guy.

Rep.+Henry+Waxman.jpg

But srsly,

I use these. They're Clayton Black jazz (I think acetate?). I really like them. I tend to pick with a scrape and you never hear it when I use these. I use the step above .50 mm whatever that is, maybe .63? Good picks and they last well.

nm2UZ.jpg

I wrote a brief article about this a while back in the HCC Newsletter. I have a box. An Altoids tin would work, but I use a small metal cigarette box that I put "found" picks into. I find a lot of picks that get left behind, and if I can't find their rightful owners, the picks go in the box. Consequentially, I have a large collection with a wide variety of different types of pics. Different picks are one of the fastest ways to get different tones and textures...

Anyway, I normally use (yawn) Tortex. Typically the yellow ones - they seem to have the best balance overall in terms of usefulness on both acoustic and electric, although if I'm after a wispier sound, I'll use the thin red Tortex, and a beefier one on electric, I'll use the green or blue Tortex.

I also like Herco, Dunlop and Clayton nylon picks. I've owned agate picks (way back in the 80s), but they're too thick for my tastes. I like the playing feel otherwise, but they're too chunky in between my thumb and finger, and a bit too slick when my hands sweat - I like textured or non-slip pick grips for that reason - I tend to sweat when I play.

• Members

I use guitar craft picks. thin for elec., medium for acoustic.

they have the best sound for me.. reminds me of fingernails.

tort. shell is great but the ones ive had were too thick and if i lose one it sucks.

• Members

A few weeks ago I bought a dozen or so different types of picks and I settled on the Cool Heavies. I've been playing Pickboy Metacarbonites for about 15 years but I like how these complement my current playing style, although I still like the Pickboys better for acoustic.

856c2f1cb1c911e1b2fe1231380205bf_7.jpg

Archived