Supernatural Ambient Reverb

BHz_econo

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by macadood

View Post

echoD said the flint was {censored} compared to this, but then again hes a sponsored spokesperson so no longer objective.

both seem excessive, get a WET andeh idea.gif {censored} i can just drop off my entire board with you next time im driving through to hamilton for a taste test

Hahaha where did I say that? I've never played a flint! It looks really rad though. I just said it was {censored}ing expensive, which it is.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by macadood

View Post

echoD said the flint was {censored} compared to this, but then again hes a sponsored spokesperson so no longer objective.

both seem excessive, get a WET andeh idea.gif {censored} i can just drop off my entire board with you next time im driving through to hamilton for a taste test

Hahaha where did I say that? I've never played a flint! It looks really rad though. I just said it was {censored}ing expensive, which it is.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 4nd3h

View Post

Any comparisons to the Flint yet?

Good question. I think both are awesome. I miss having the harmonic trem from the flint especially (though I could pick up that cbread pedal) and the verbs were all very nice on the Flint as well. I will miss the infinite hall setting especially. I actually think the Flint had a little more self-noise than the Ambient as i swear i would occasionally hear some kind of aliasing effect if I ran it before a ton of gain for shoegaze stuff. That could be caused by something else, though.

Flint also had the nice option to plug in an exp pedal and I think the plate (which is based on a bbd plate emulator on the flint rather than a real metal plate) was really nice. It also had a hall which this pedal doesn't exactly have though the modulated plate is kinda close.

As for how the verbs compare:

I think this spring is a little nicer. It just feels more natural to me even if it does sound a little different than a real tank. Sounds very good.

Plate is different on this and the Flint. I'd say they're about equal in that department with a possible edge to the Ambient. In that setting I find the decay can go up almost to infinite on both pedals, which is nice.

The flint doesn't share any of the other reverb types with this pedal as it only has a hall as its third effect. That hall is quite nice, but as it says, very 80s sounding. In the Ambient you have modulated plate as kind of close to hall on the Flint but still kind of a different animal.

The ambient of course has Shimmer which is a nice shimmer, I'd say, and Shine which is modulated shimmer and which i like better. I don't particularly use shimmer a lot myself but I think people who do will like it. It does a really nice organ-like sound, actually. I'll probably find a use for it.

Supernova is neat. I kind of dislike a lot of flangers but this is only flange on the reverb and I like that better. I think it'll be nice for synths, swells, and more ambient stuff but maybe less good for regular guitar work. Could be good for shoegaze.

Pherb I am surprised by. I actually like it quite a bit. It's very nice for subtle settings with the mix low as it adds a bit of motion to the reverb but not necessarily something you'd notice as obvious until you turn the mix up. I also think it will work very well on synths at higher mix settings and for the horror soundtrack work I do.

Nice pedal. I'd say both the Flint and Supernatural are very nice. Both pretty different and of comparable quality.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by V

View Post

No. They're all new. I never had an RV-7 though.

I'm curious, because the spring on RV-7 is excellent and I can't imagine it being any closer to the blackface sound. The plate sounds really good as well. I thought the main difference with supernatural is the addition of the huge pad like verbs.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nick fury

View Post

I'm curious, because the spring on RV-7 is excellent and I can't imagine it being any closer to the blackface sound. The plate sounds really good as well. I thought the main difference with supernatural is the addition of the huge pad like verbs.

All the verbs are indeed new. The new spring is even more accurate/realistic than the RV-7 (and the RV-7 is very good). I actually think the spring preset is the best preset on the pedal. Kind of ironic since we named it ambient verb. facepalm.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nick fury

View Post

i have both, and i LOVE the spring on the rv-7. the most notable differences are the option to go 100% wet (a big seal the deal thing with me) and the new algorithm is apparently dead on with a spring reverb tank. i havent had the opportunity to a/b the two yet, but i dont think i need to. you can get a wide range of spring sounds from ampeg type spring to fender blackface to quirky in between stuff. the level, liveliness, and decay knobs really work in concert to shape the sound. home run touchdown.

the rv-7 is still a keeper for more subtl stuff as well as that {censored}ing reverse. so god damn good. im also very fond of the room preset, surprisingly.

• Members

I wouldn't say it's exactly dead on with my blues jr's spring reverb or most amp verbs i've played as it's a little drippier and has slightly more distinct reflections, but it's really good-sounding.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by echodeluxe

View Post

in my experience the blues jr reverb is really unique as far as amp reverb goes. its got this really deep drippy sound in the higher settings. not a classic fender reverb in my opinion. but also part of its charm.

ive had two, btw.

Yeah, it's weird. I believe it's solid state driven. It also uses a short spring tank unlike most fenders. The Blues Jr III seems to have a pretty different but awesome-sounding reverb actually.

• Members

So, I recorded a bit of a jam with the timeline and the supernatural.

http://soundcloud.com/shoe-pedals/su...ambient-reverb

Gear used: Stereo strat with neck pickup and bridge pickup run into separate inputs on the timeline, out in stereo to the hardwire, into bass and normal channels of 1967 bassman (bass channel neck pickup, bridge pickup on normal channel) into a 1x12 cab sporting a heritage g-12-65 into an audix d3 mic and an edirol interface that I unfortunately clipped in some places frown.gif It's what I get for not checking my levels and forgetting to turn the limiter on.

• Members

Thanks. I played for like an hour with those two along with my JCM800 Preamp floor unit and a Savior Machine I made for myself. I've got some clips that might be good from the dirty parts too. Ha ha some of that was me figuring out how much reverb i could get away with in front of an extremely high gain preamp also going into a bassman.

Archived