Gibson les paul 50's tribute - any good?

ollenorin

• Members

I think the biggest knock on them has been their inconsistent build quality, but that's generally true of Gibson overall it seems. But if you've found one you like, and it sounds good, at a good price seems like a no brainer to me. That one does look nice. They don't have binding on them do they?

Edit, I don't like yogurt that much, if we're talking about the food that is.

I think the concept is great, and I like the looks of many of them, but I'd pass on the 50s due to the neck profile. IOW, I'd personally rather have the 60s version due to the slim taper neck profile. YMMV as far as that preference goes. I've generally heard good reports about these guitars, although as always, individual examples may vary.

Remember that these were pretty budget-friendly guitars (at least by Gibson-branded standards) to begin with - how good of a deal are we talking about?

• Members

Found one cheap and i like its looks. Humbuckers on it.

Whats your verdict?

WP_000039.jpg

I bought one of the original run '50s with the P-90s. When I took it in for setup the neck ended up slightly back-bowed, and the truss rod was already fully relieved. The guitar went back to the factory, and as it was produced near the end of the limited run I ended up with a '60s tribute as a replacement.

I found the neck on the '50s to be too beefy for my tastes, but then again I have carpal tunnel and a lot of necks just don't work for me because I end up with a numb fretting hand. The '60s neck is a lot skinnier, and I don't have the numb hand issue, but I don't really like the D-carve on it. FWIW the '50s was a tone monster except for a bit of fret buzz, which was why I took it in for the setup in the first place.

• Members

I think the biggest knock on them has been their inconsistent build quality, but that's generally true of Gibson overall it seems. But if you've found one you like, and it sounds good, at a good price seems like a no brainer to me. That one does look nice. They don't have binding on them do they?

Edit, I don't like yogurt that much, if we're talking about the food that is.

Really have to go on a guitar by guitar basis on these - I've seen two piece backs and four piece backs on some of them. Generally they're pretty decent guitars though.

• Members

I got a '60s one recently and really love it, but I agree about the inconsistency thing - I tried 4 and they each felt totally different to play and sounded very different too - and this is playing them back to back in a sound booth in the guitar shop through the same amp. The one I got I couldn't not buy - sounded too good.

• Members

I got a '60s one recently and really love it, but I agree about the inconsistency thing - I tried 4 and they each felt totally different to play and sounded very different too - and this is playing them back to back in a sound booth in the guitar shop through the same amp. The one I got I couldn't not buy - sounded too good.

I'd go with this. The one I tried (P90s) felt/sounded very mediocre though.

• Members

I'd go with this. The one I tried (P90s) felt/sounded very mediocre though.

One of the ones I tried was just terrible. The neck felt all wrong, and the sound was so insanely wooly. Wouldn't stay in tune either.

Sadly, it was the one my Girlfriend liked the look of best, so I was in the doghouse when I picked the gold top.

• Members

One of the ones I tried was just terrible. The neck felt all wrong, and the sound was so insanely wooly. Wouldn't stay in tune either.

Sadly, it was the one my Girlfriend liked the look of best, so I was in the doghouse when I picked the gold top.

If you were in the {censored} already you should have taken the opportunity to explain that you don't buy guitars to look at, or to match your handbag.

Wait... you took your girlfriend guitar shopping? You had it coming. :rolleyes:

• Members

Like everyone has already said, they are inconsistent in their quality. If you have played it already and you like the sound and neck on it then I would suggest buying it. If you're thinking of buying it blind I would be more hesitant.

Good luck, mate.

• Members

If you were in the {censored} already you should have taken the opportunity to explain that you don't buy guitars to look at, or to match your handbag.

Wait... you took your girlfriend guitar shopping? You had it coming.
:rolleyes:

:lol: Yeah I'm an idiot.

But to be fair she should have known I don't wear my handbag on stage so that shouldn't be a consideration!

Archived