One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.

Cirrus

• Members

I remember very vividly watching that on TV and I was only 4 at the time. A couple weeks later my family went to downtown Chicago to watch the ticker tape parade and I saw them ride past on the back of a big Lincoln Continental from my dad's shoulders.

After that, I went as Neil Armstrong for Halloween three years in a row. I was positively obsessed with all things space.

Kinda seems silly to say, but that event really did change my life and how I went on to view things - even at age 4. The appreciation I have for what they did and what has come since - I still marvel at it.

Just yesterday, I was with my kid and my dad at the Evergreen Air and Space Museum in McMinnville, OR and they have a life-size replica of Apollo 11's Eagle lander on display. Took me right back to that night in 1969 sitting 2 inches away from a black and white screen hanging on every word. If you weren't there to watch it firsthand, you really can't appreciate just how intensely riveting and emotional it was for people. I still think it's the biggest and best thing Humanity has ever accomplished.

A thousand years from now, mankind may have forgotten the name of the guy who ran Apple, or maybe even who the Beatles were, but we'll probably still remember the first man to walk on the moon.

I doubt the Beatles will be any less forgotten than other famous composers from history, but whether or not that winds up being true or not, the names Armstrong, Aldrin, and Collins go into the history books with the same kind of stature as names like Drake, Magellan, Polo, and Eriksson.

Goodspeed Neil Armstrong. Thank you for your service to humanity.

• Members

I remember very vividly watching that on TV and I was only 4 at the time. A couple weeks later my family went to downtown Chicago to watch the ticker tape parade and I saw them ride past on the back of a big Lincoln Continental from my dad's shoulders.

After that, I went as Neil Armstrong for Halloween three years in a row. I was positively obsessed with all things space.

Kinda seems silly to say, but that event really did change my life and how I went on to view things - even at age 4. The appreciation I have for what they did and what has come since - I still marvel at it.

Just yesterday, I was with my kid and my dad at the Evergreen Air and Space Museum in McMinnville, OR and they have a life-size replica of Apollo 11's Eagle lander on display. Took me right back to that night in 1969 sitting 2 inches away from a black and white screen hanging on every word. If you weren't there to watch it firsthand, you really can't appreciate just how intensely riveting and emotional it was for people. I still think it's the biggest and best thing Humanity has ever accomplished.

Ditto to everything you said. R.I.P. to a true American hero.

Archived