Do you find yourself coming back to one sound?

Ryan.

• Members

Realized this after a long time of trying out new pedals so I've basically stopped. I tend to dial them all in very similarly (particularly dirt pedals) so really it's not worth having a bunch. Just one or two full featured pedals with lots of options.

same here. I just own/use very different OD pedals... i use just 2 different highgain sounds for my productions and only one for band and jams... On the other hand, it is always fun to play a "new" dirt pedal with different flavour. But after a few weeks i use every dirt pedal for the same stuff to be honest. Boost with some grit to push the amp... -.-

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's good to learn something else. I'm actually making music now that I'm playing keyboard because it was the instrument that I feel the most at home with. I never really felt that way about guitar but it wasn't until I actually picked something else up did I realize that. Best O LUCK CHUM

Thanks babe! Best wishes to your ivory tickling.

Comfort zones are creatively detrimental for sure. Gotta shake it up some times. I'm way too comfy on guitar and I want to learn more about other styles of music technique through other instruments, breath of fresh air. Maybe even learn something new to incorporate into my guitar playing.

And I'm building a kazookeylele soon for {censored}s and giggles.

• Members

When I'm just playing guitar on my own no matter what I'm using I have an ideal clean sound I get close to, an ideal open and dynamic sounding distortion, and a really thick, saturated heavy tone. If there are two pedals that cover kinda the same ground you can bet I'll set them to sound the same if I'm not paying attention. A good example would be when I had a Rat II and SD Lava Boost on my board. No one could tell the difference between them.

A couple of thoughts, though. First being, even if two pedals sound the same, they might react differently in certain situations. With a les paul both might just sound like a typical middy distortion, but switch to a strat and one might have more sustain/ a fatter sound than the other. It might clean up better.

Second, it's once we have a song and arrangement that I start getting different ideas for tones. When it's just you and a guitar, who cares what it sounds like as long as you like the tone, right? But once there's drums and bass doing a specific thing and the production starts to take shape, that's when you start to work out whether you want a mellow or bright tone, how much sustain you need for the various parts, what extra effects work to spice things up etc. That's my favourite part of doing new songs because once the brums and bass are down I've got a blank slate to do my thing.

• Members

yep.

at first i thought a&e was about that television station. isn't there a tv station called a&e?

Double entendre

ERs in the UK are called A&E (Accidents and Emergencies)

In the book Feeding Back, Jason Pierce talks about always writing the same chord progressions, because they keep fitting the song.

• Members

I like it a lot, my only gripe is the volume. I'm at drum level volume at 2. where 1 is basically 0 (if that makes sense). I'm not a fan of using my volume knob on the guitar. If you're used to tweaking volume on guitar then you'll be good to go. The reverb in the amp is pretty surf rock in my opinion. i think dick dale everytime i crank the reverb. I only see the volume as an issue in the band room though, and the main issue is i've got good cleans at 2 but it makes dialing the dirt pedals difficult without totally going crazy and not being able to hear the singer and {censored}.

i play the lp and the cleans are nice, especially compared to my old half stack. tele will be even sparklyer i imagine.

Yeah fender is notorious for using linear taper pots for master volumes. They should always be audio taper to avoid that problem.

• Members

Oh yeah, on topic yes and no. I find myself using similar sounds when it comes to distortion a lot of times but less with fuzz and wilder sounds. I like having a kind of consistent tone for a lot of situations then using very diverse and more "out" sounds for things like solos and accents

• Members

i don't get gear to try something different or anything like that.

when i get a pedal it's because i think i can use that sound for something i'm looking for in my head. sometimes the pedal hits home and gets a permanent place in my board and sometimes it doesn't and i get rid of it, it's pretty simple. i don't really like having gear around that i don't use, though i have a thing or two that i'm pretty sure i can use with other intents or in other situations.

i use different sounds for a lot of things, though i do have some sounds that i use more, like a boosted Pharaoh into the Marshall or something. anyways, they're all consistent sounds that i found with time and experiments, and now all the ones i have on my board they all have their place. i like changing stuff around as less as possible and learn to do the best with what i have, but i couldn't have just one sound and live with that for what i'm doing at the moment.

• Members

My biggest problem isn't coming back to one sound, it's getting lodged in one key. Standard? Oh I'll play in G. DAEAC#E? Oh I'll play in A. FACGCE? Oh I'll play in C. I get burnt out so fast once I'm used to playing in the key, yet at the same time it's so hard to try others without feeling like your hands are broken.

Maybe that's just me.

This so hard.

For a sound though, its always light OD > delay > long plate and/or spring.

• Members

someone on this forum once said that you only really need 3 "tones" :

cleans (you might add delay, lite chorus, verb to taste)

crunchy (for me, I like this quite dry)

and a singing lead (add verb, delay, octave)

- that really helped me understand what I am going for in each song. One of the 3 that I've already got dialed-in

peace

Archived