OT: DEBATE |?!

RoboPimp

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Glad most you guys saw what I did. I caught the last twenty minutes, Romney was much more offensive, but seemed coached, worried, and of course phony. The body language he gave during his final speech was "I'm lying through my {censored}ing teeth".

Obama seemed to be holding his cards, and very tired from four years of being president. He missed a lot of chances to come out swinging, per the democrat course, but I found his answers far more thorough and his final speech much more sincere. I don't know how people didn't see that enough.

I think the media just wants the fight to go on, and the fact Romney was still standing after the first round was enough for them to declare "victory", so they can have their headline.

Apparently Paul is very obstructionist, and it's thought that they'll attack him heavily on that. I hope Obama is going for the rope a dope. The idea of Romney being president is depressing. He's such a weasel.

• Members

My favorite part was about halfway in when it sounded like someone got up and left and slammed the door on their way out. Probably fed up with the BS and lack of substance from both sides. I'd probably say Romney did better than was expected but their was really nothing new last night. Mostly the same BS both have been saying for months. Also, Jim Lehrer should have had an air horn or something. Neither candidate seemed to respect his pen.

• Members

I thought Romney did very well, actually, but I still can't stand him. Obama didn't do that well for most of the reasons I prefer him. He was calm, quiet, not forceful, and chose his words carefully (like every professor, pausing a lot as he spoke to actually think about what he was going to say) and seemed to manage to prevent Romney from executing any real childish mudslinging. So, I dunno. It was sort of a bad night for Obama but I think he kept up his image of being the better diplomat. I suspect Romney will fare extremely poorly on foreign policy since...well he doesn't have any idea how to be likeable and diplomatic.

It's cool, man. They'll bounce back. They'll get jobs fracking for natural gas that Romney will create. Or maybe they'll mine for clean burning coal.

Since only about 15% of PBS funding comes from the Federal government, it probably wouldn't be both of them losing their jobs, even if all Federal funding were cut. One or the other would probably get to keep his gig. Jim Lehrer vs Big Bird? My money's on the bird. Obama vs Romney? IMO, this election is still too close to call. :snax:

Oh, and here's an old joke, and a bit of an exaggeration, but truer than I wish it was.

Q. How can you tell when a politician is lying to you?

A. When his lips are moving.

According to the independent fact-check sites I looked at, both Governor Romney and President Obama were untruthful with various statements, claims, and charges they made at the debate. Hopefully people will dig a bit deeper... but most people don't bother. Which is why BOTH sides can spin things and get away with it, and nothing ever gets done. :(

Thank you for keeping the discussion civil. :) The moment I feel that has stopped, it will get shut down. Either way, as a political thread, it doesn't really belong here on HCEF :cop: and it will probably be closed sooner rather than later anyway... fair warning. :wave:

• Members

From an outsider's view - I really don't think it's a close call at all.

I was looking at the percentages of presidents that get re-elected, if they're running again, it's something like 90%.

I think it takes a lot for them not to be relected, and if this is the tendency, at a time of economic trouble voters will be all the more conservative.

And sadly - this isn't about what you think, as much as it isn't about what I think. It's about a tiny bunch of swing voters, in mariginal states - and appealing to their gut (not even their opinions). All of this is for them. The question is, does that specific group think it's time to try out someone new? They'll err on the side of caution.

• Members

From an outsider's view - I really don't think it's a close call at all.

I was looking at the percentages of presidents that get re-elected, if they're running again, it's something like 90%.

I think it takes a lot for them not to be relected, and if this is the tendency, at a time of economic trouble voters will be all the more conservative.

And sadly - this isn't about what you think, as much as it isn't about what I think. It's about a tiny bunch of swing voters, in mariginal states - and appealing to their gut (not even their opinions). All of this is for them. The question is, does that specific group think it's time to try out someone new? They'll err on the side of caution.

Yeah, but what percentage of black muslim presidents who aren't even from around here get re-elected?

Archived