OT: DEBATE |?!

RoboPimp

• Members

I listened to the whole thing yesterday at work. I thought Romney did very well. He's a much better debater than I would have imagined. It was probably a smart move that he just flat out lied about his tax proposals and how he was only interested in cutting taxes for the middle class. Obama didn't do badly, but I know he's a much better public speaker than he demonstrated, so maybe he was tired or maybe he was trying for a more middle ground stance that he thought people would want to hear and his heart wasn't in it. I don't know. One thing this thread demonstrates is our minds were made up before this debate anyway.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From an outsider's view - I really don't think it's a close call at all.

I was looking at the percentages of presidents that get re-elected, if they're running again, it's something like 90%.

I think it takes a lot for them not to be relected, and if this is the tendency, at a time of economic trouble voters will be all the more conservative.

And sadly - this isn't about what you think, as much as it isn't about what I think. It's about a tiny bunch of swing voters, in mariginal states - and appealing to their gut (not even their opinions). All of this is for them. The question is, does that specific group think it's time to try out someone new? They'll err on the side of caution.

Well 5 out of the last 8 didn't finish two terms. Thats over half in contemporary times. (i know i'm cheating a bit with nixon)

• Members

I listened to the whole thing yesterday at work. I thought Romney did very well. He's a much better debater than I would have imagined. It was probably a smart move that he just flat out lied about his tax proposals and how he was only interested in cutting taxes for the middle class. Obama didn't do badly, but I know he's a much better public speaker than he demonstrated, so maybe he was tired or maybe he was trying for a more middle ground stance that he thought people would want to hear and his heart wasn't in it. I don't know. One thing this thread demonstrates is our minds were made up before this debate anyway.

Debates aren't much of a way to choose a candidate . They are only a recent development too. lincoln debated first, then none until kennedy nixon, then another slump until ford carter. And carter only showed up to one debate with reagan. You remeber the reagan v. an empty podium, and some third party canidate.

• Members

Debates aren't much of a way to choose a candidate . They are only a recent development too. lincoln debated first, then none until kennedy nixon, then another slump until ford carter. And carter only showed up to one debate with regaen. You remeber the regean v. And empty podium, and some third party canidate.

yeah they don't really mean much in the way of votes. I mean how many times did we see GW get crushed in debates and still that moron won.

• Members

Glad most you guys saw what I did. I caught the last twenty minutes, Romney was much more offensive, but seemed coached, worried, and of course phony. The body language he gave during his final speech was "I'm lying through my {censored}ing teeth".

Obama seemed to be holding his cards, and very tired from four years of being president. He missed a lot of chances to come out swinging, per the democrat course, but I found his answers far more thorough and his final speech much more sincere. I don't know how people didn't see that enough.

I think the media just wants the fight to go on, and the fact Romney was still standing after the first round was enough for them to declare "victory", so they can have their headline.

Apparently Paul is very obstructionist, and it's thought that they'll attack him heavily on that. I hope Obama is going for the rope a dope. The idea of Romney being president is depressing. He's such a weasel.

yes, Romney had the massive advantage of not having just spent the last 4 years {censored}ing up the country. agreed, it was very offensive.

Romney was discussing his plans- as in the future, ie. hasnt happened yet. Obama was discussing the policies hes used, unsuccessfully for 4 years and quoting {censored}ed studies and {censored}ty numbers and got called on it, repeatedly.

• Members
not yet
:idk:

ryan keeps claiming im on welfare but I think thats because he's collecting the checks to fund his studio speakers. GAS makes white people do crazy things.

sorry, that was the rumor going around. people were saying it was another job gone, glad you cleared it up. now please provide more tax returns so we can vet you for the job

• Members
yes, Romney had the massive advantage of not having just spent the last 4 years {censored}ing up the country. agreed, it was very offensive.

Romney was discussing his plans- as in the future, ie. hasnt happened yet. Obama was discussing the policies hes used, unsuccessfully for 4 years and quoting {censored}ed studies and {censored}ty numbers and got called on it, repeatedly.

:lol:

Good post, but should've been in all caps!

• Members

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/04/1139793/-Mitt-Romney-Lying-to-victory?detail=email

The results of Wednesday night's first presidential debate are in and it's official: Mitt Romney won round one. He was aggressive, he was decisive, he delivered. Of course he also lied through his teeth for most of the debate.

Romney lied:

When he claimed that "pre-existing conditions are covered under my plan." They're not.

When he said that President Obama had "cut Medicare by $716 billion to pay for Obamacare." Obama didn't.

When he denied proposing a $5 trillion tax cut. He did.

When he said President Obama had "added almost as much to the federal debt as all the prior presidents combined." Not even close.

When he resurrected "death panels." That was called "one of the biggest whoppers of the night."

When he stated that half the green energy companies given stimulus funds had failed. Only if three out of nearly three dozen is half.

Archived