Are we going to see any more innovation in the effects world?

gambit

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think there is plenty room for innovation. We just got something like the mobius finally coming out but it can only do one effect at a time. Some time in the future one will be able to more and eventually you will be able to digitally route the signal chain. I think there is plenty of room for combo pedals. It would be nice to have modulated delays where you have more control over the modulation or even the choice of having phaser, flange, vibrato or trem to the mix. Someone also could come out with something like a more flexible space station. I also think with technology large piece of gear can become much smaller. I mean the echorec and space echo now come in pedal form and retain a large portion of their original tone. There still arent many glitch type pedals, multi oscillators or filter pedals outside the realm of envolope and wahs.

also more pedals with loops

• Members

I don't see it as being an issue of technology. The technology is there and has been for a long time. Guitarists are always looking for things that are familiar, or have a reference point to. Look at all the amp in a box pedals that seem to sell so well regardless of how authentic they actually sound.

Let's remember that we are all (well most of us) playing guitars that haven't really changed since the 50's. We are still using magnetic based pickups that are really good at amplifying any local noise source. We still use antiquated cables and jacks that were meant for the telecom industry, and have to supply power to pedals with yet another cable. And we use amps based on 50+ year old designs as well.

I'm sure if we could start over today a standard that would be easier for putting a rig together, and easier to design pedals would catch on... but that's not going to happen. There have been guitars that use much more modern design from an engineering stand point. No one buys them, and least not in numbers. Solid state amps? No thanks. Solid state amps with DSP? Still haven't heard one i like.

With that said, innovation can mean different things. If you look at synths so much goes on and changes much more quickly than with guitars. Sure some synth guys are looking for those old sounds, but many seek it out in new packaging.

On the VST/plugin side, I'd love to see some kind of open standard. Most attempts at this so far have been problematic, because drivers need to be written for each plugin. The way i see it we would need a standard on both the hardware and software side of things, and third parties on both fronts developing. There would need to be some rating system for software to tell you how extensively it uses the processor... you can't simply line up effects in a chain forever and expect there not to be hiccups. But one hiccup in the middle of a performance can ruin things quickly.

• Members

strymon had a "what do you want to see from us in the future" question on their latest contest, and I honestly didn't know what to put. sure, they're great at what they do and I'd love to see more companies try weird experimental {censored}, but this is a company that focuses on replicating old school sounds as closely as possible, I don't see their talents being applied to bitcrushers & glitch pedals. not many mainstream companies will, it's up to the little guys with limited resources.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nomenclature

View Post

strymon had a "what do you want to see from us in the future" question on their latest contest, and I honestly didn't know what to put. sure, they're great at what they do and I'd love to see more companies try weird experimental {censored}, but this is a company that focuses on replicating old school sounds as closely as possible, I don't see their talents to bitcrushers & glitch pedals. not many mainstream companies will, it's up to the little guys with limited resources.

id say, look for more innovation inside oneself. thats where itll come from. not something i can buy with a credit card. thats the problem with new music nowadays. wrong focus.

• Members

Digital Modeling has so much room to grow, but most of the big companies are stuck modeling older analog gear and not necessarily creating anything new that isn't gimicky. If you pay attention to the DIY Thread here you can see some really cool, new stuff done with DSP by Tape and a few other guys.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by WeStartToDrift

View Post

Digital Modeling has so much room to grow, but most of the big companies are stuck modeling older analog gear and not necessarily creating anything new that isn't gimicky. If you pay attention to the DIY Thread here you can see some really cool, new stuff done with DSP by Tape and a few other guys.

true, tape is amazing with his stuff.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by caeman

View Post

Submini Tubes are going to come on strong in 2013 and FX users will demand that all of their pedals be tube-buffered.

Subminis are fun to mess around with, though I would be hesitant to put anything with tubes on a pedalboard unless you're solely a bedroom player. I used to have a Chandler Tube Driver and I'd go through a few sets of tubes every few shows. I wasn't necessarily nice to the thing, but I expect pedals to be able to have the {censored} kicked out of them.

Archived