Are we going to see any more innovation in the effects world?

gambit

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by TomVanDeven View Post
The question really is "what else do you WANT them to do?!" icon_lol.gif

I think in the future, AU/RTAS/VST capable pedals will be available and make alot of really good sounding stuff instantly accessable. Oh, and hog 2.
in the early 2000's a bunch of concrete skateparks were designed and built in the phoenix area. the designers and construction supervisors were all skaters, and were building with a passion. they started off small, building the things they liked to skate when they were younger; but then they took a different approach. they wanted to challenge the new crop of skaters and see what they could do with structures that they never had, different lines and transitions, bigger, more difficult.

some pedal makers are doing this already. zvex for sure.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ha, I was reading an article by the BBC the other week about Kickstarter projects that get funded and never get produced.

I didn't realise the people who run the Kickstarter project are under no obligation to actually deliver a product so if the project goes over budget or it can't be finished for any reason everyone loses their money and gets nothing eek.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by woolyh View Post
Ha, I was reading an article by the BBC the other week about Kickstarter projects that get funded and never get produced.

I didn't realise the people who run the Kickstarter project are under no obligation to actually deliver a product so if the project goes over budget or it can't be finished for any reason everyone loses their money and gets nothing eek.gif
frown.gif thats terrible, I knew it was F'd but I didnt know that much

• Members

I do some effects programming and I think there are various effect ideas being worked on by people that are pretty innovative, I think it's just hard to make a lot of them practical. I mean practical from a sales and marketing standpoint, getting people to buy something when they don't understand it, making it user friendly. An example would be I was playing with convolution reverb and instead of an impulse I tried something with my own voice. It came out as a reverb that was kind of singing like a human voice. If you do that with a frequency sweek it it is a strange pitch bending reverb.

• Members

I think a lot of time is spend trying to replicate classics digitally, once there's a move into coming up with new effects that have little resemblance with the past then you'll be talking about truly taking advantage of the digital age. Like if TC would release there software to configure their TonePrints, etc.... Making a digital footprint (like the Kemper amp does for amps) of pedals would be cool as well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wartoxin

View Post

I do some effects programming and I think there are various effect ideas being worked on by people that are pretty innovative, I think it's just hard to make a lot of them practical. I mean practical from a sales and marketing standpoint, getting people to buy something when they don't understand it, making it user friendly. An example would be I was playing with convolution reverb and instead of an impulse I tried something with my own voice. It came out as a reverb that was kind of singing like a human voice. If you do that with a frequency sweek it it is a strange pitch bending reverb.

This is a super cool idea - I'm gonna see if I can do this next time I'm recording, out of curiosity.

• Members

sure we will!

DSP offers so so so many opportunities. and it's becomming more and more accessible for DIYers, granular stuff, weird delays, effect hybrids (like part ringmod, part delay), etc. filters controlled by new kinds of modulation and/or guitar input, like pitch.

look at the red panda particle or the anti-nautulus. the framework for huge potential!

if you want to see what kind of innovation we will eventually see in the guitar world, take a look at modular synths and some of the weirder modules that have existed for years. through DSP, it'll get easier and easier to put that in a pedal.

Archived