danelectro guitars have my attention

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarSlim101

View Post

Here's my two old Danos. I even took some better pictures for you.

My 1448 with a string thru Supro lap steel pickup in the bridge position. I also refretted it and carved a new compensated saddle. It's my favorite electric right now. It's so damn funky.

DSC00718.jpg

Somebody had the same idea - I just saw this exact model except with an old Dearmond-looking acoustic pickup instead of the Supro in my local GC.

Only $399...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarSlim101

View Post

Here's my two old Danos. I even took some better pictures for you.

My 1448 with a string thru Supro lap steel pickup in the bridge position. I also refretted it and carved a new compensated saddle. It's my favorite electric right now. It's so damn funky.

DSC00721.jpg

DSC00718.jpg

DSC00720.jpg

DSC00719.jpg

sans the Supro lap steel pickup, that's the guitar I first learned to play on.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

dude, guitarslim, those are some of the coolest looking guitars I've ever seen. I love the convertibles finish. It's like, my favorite guitar finish. It's like some sort of accidental abstract art. I've always wanted a guitar like that, especially yours. I remember the last time you posted it. love.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt-60

View Post

dude, guitarslim, those are some of the coolest looking guitars I've ever seen. I love the convertibles finish. It's like, my favorite guitar finish. It's like some sort of accidental abstract art. I've always wanted a guitar like that, especially yours. I remember the last time you posted it. love.gif

Well, thank you. Accidental abstract art is a great description for that guitar. When I saw that finish, I just had to have it. People always ask me if it was in a fire. Been playing that guitar a lot lately. I recently strung it up with some heavy flatwounds, which I've been meaning to try the entire time I've had it, and it sounds incredibly cool.

Took the Supro pickup off the 1448, too. There's something buggered in the wiring in the pickup that I haven't been able to track down yet. Kind of nice, though. Made me appreciate how much I like just having the lipstick pickup in that guitar.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by echodeluxe

View Post

so for the last week or so ive really been wanting danelectro dc 59(i think?) and a 1448. they just look so cool and i dont think ive really played either.

anyone here got one? i wanna see!

heres a pic of the dude from grizzly bear rocking one:

If you're looking for one I have an old one I'll sell you:

zzzzzzzDSCN0039-1.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Picklebottom

View Post

ive never played a 12 string but the 6 strings ive played felt like toys. just generally thin, lifeless, and unresonant.

i think if you randomly ordered old 60s/ 70s japanese guitars off ebay youd end up with something nicer thatll satisfy your ugly wierd looking guitar lust.

nah, my first guitar ever was a danelectro, they sound quite good, they are definitely not the sturdiest of guitars, but do have some really good qualities. The neck on mine is really flat, which I really like in this case, it's ridiculously easy to play.

Worth the price imo. And they look cool.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by befey

View Post

I came across this guy when I was looking into getting a Dano baritone: http://www.fatdawg.com/danelectro.html

Site hasn't been updated in awhile, I'm not even sure they still exist, but the prices look amazing.

hah thats a 5 minute bike ride from my house! i havent been there in years, but its like this crazy garage sale thats always happening. im sure he still has plenty of cool stuff. in fact, im going there today. thread to follow.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

The vintage models aren't that much more expensive than the reissues

Danoincase.jpg

We need to shop...the one on the left (Below) streets for about 20-30% of the one on the right-

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

I'd hold out for the real deal and get the fat slab of rosewood they used on the necks and saddle, and of course the pickup(s). I've played quite a few of the reish models and while in the neighborhood they don't sound nearly as good as mine does. If you have to go reish - make sure it has the rosewood saddle as it makes all the difference in the world, tonally.

Not sure about all-these sound about 90% close. Neck on the newer ones are a bit narrower and deeper (front to back), once set-up and intonated, easy as hell to play.

DSC04597.jpg

• Members

i have a dc59. everyone on this forum seems to have a cooler one than mine, but i love it. it only sounds good with both pickups in series and the tone all the way open, but damn it's a beautiful sounding one trick pony. my only gripe is the neck shape, it's a wide neck that's almost |___| shaped. tends to hurt my thumb a bit if i'm playing a lot of root/fifth chords

P3230189.jpg

• Members

The reissues are nice - well, the ones I have owned. I have a few from the 90s that are cool and I have a recent baritone that isn't quite as well made as the 90s one, but it sounds every bit as good. Small details (no painted headstock, weird satin hardware instead of chrome, etc...) sounds good though.

Archived