danelectro guitars have my attention

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It started off like this, with a flat red and black finish.

DSC_0319-1.jpg

I got the Misfits sticker, and the Misfits fret markers on Ebay.

after i put the misfits sticker on the body, i put 2 coats of polyurethane on the front of the body, backside, and headstock.

I like the looks of it much more now, it has a nice glossy finish, and the sticker is protected under the poly.

• Members

I love the Dano sound. I even went the extra mile and splurged for this:5906_baritone_med_1.jpghttp:

5906_baritone_med_1.jpg

It's a Jerry Jones baritone with a Bigsby and a rocking bridge......a twangy spaghetti western machine. These JJ lipsticks are probably my favorite pickups.

The only complaint I have about this guitar is that the middle pickup selection is the expected middle pickup only. I've read a lot of comments about the great neck+middle tone of JJs and Danos. I'm probably going to mod. I might add a tonestyler, as well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

You're missing out on one of the best sounds on the instrument - I love the sound of my Dano Bari with both pickups running. I wonder how yours would sound with all three running?

Which do you recommend? Bridge+Neck or all three? Wouldn't all three be the "blow" switch that some Dano's have? I don't want to drill any new holes or make any permanent alterations as this is an instrument that has gone up in value considerably since Jerry Jones retired.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zinzin

View Post

sorry, but i hate the design of the wild thing ... (not your stickers - the original design of it) does it sound different to the other danos?

It's all good that you hate the design, I did at first but it's grown on me, sounds very much like a Dano... I love it!

• Members

DanelectroLongHornBass.jpg

Objects of Desire #5: Danelectro Longhorn Bass

I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to the shape of guitars. The LP, the SG, the Strat - these are ungimmicky, uncompromising configurations. They look legit and purposeful. But I permit exceptions and this is one of them. There's something mediaeval about it, as if it predates the eventual shape of a guitar, rather than attempting to improve on it. On top of which, it's pretty cheap, on account of being made from recycled styrofoam burger boxes, or something.

• Members

Guitars boil down to cosmetics, playability, and sound - Danelectro's are a matter of taste re: the aesthetic. You like them or no.

The playability focuses on the aforementioned neck properties - probably the widest, flattest fretboard(s) I've ever played, it's like the deck of an aircraft carrier. Again - you like it or not. You may want to prepare yourself for tinkering with the bridge after you acquire one.

Finally there is the sound, and that is why these "cheap, ugly" guitars have lasted so damn long. There is just nothing like the voicing of their pickups; a silvery shimmer on the top end, offset by a burnished warmth in the low mids. Yes, they take some pedals well, but IMHO it's when you run them direct into a nice tube amp with some serious headroom (think Vintage Fenders) that they shine.

Spray on plastic or no, here's my Hornet. Prettiest twangs evah, and I have a bunch of Fender offsets.

DeadOnThumb1.jpg

DeadOnThumb2.jpg

DeadOnThumb4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sabicas

View Post

Which do you recommend? Bridge+Neck or all three? Wouldn't all three be the "blow" switch that some Dano's have? I don't want to drill any new holes or make any permanent alterations as this is an instrument that has gone up in value considerably since Jerry Jones retired.

My bari is only a two pickup model, so I've never had the chance to hear three going all at once. The sound of neck + bridge though, is a classic one, and I'd probably go for that if I was in your shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable

View Post

DanelectroLongHornBass.jpg

Objects of Desire #5: Danelectro Longhorn Bass

I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to the shape of guitars. The LP, the SG, the Strat - these are ungimmicky, uncompromising configurations. They look legit and purposeful. But I permit exceptions and this is one of them.

Love it! love.gif One of these would round out my Dano collection quite nicely. That, and an aqua burst U2. I already have a late '90s blue sparkle DC-12 and a black '05 baritone.

They reissued the longhorn bass a couple of years ago, and I briefly played the RI's a couple of times at NAMM. IIRC, they were going for about $350 at the time - I'm not sure what they sell for now, or even if they're still available new or not anymore. They're wonderful instruments though - Do Want. Phil-Thumbs-Up-Small.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Picklebottom

View Post

ive never played a 12 string but the 6 strings ive played felt like toys. just generally thin, lifeless, and unresonant.

Unresonant? That's just crazy talk!

Dano's triumph of cheap industrial design will likely never be equaled in all of musiciandom. Pine scraps, masonite, and recycled soup cans are not usually thought of as things from which one might create a musical instrument. But they are playable, and they have a great sound. To accomplish all this with twenty-three cents of materials is truly a marvel.

• Members

I'd like to get a late 90s reissue U2 w/ the wooden saddle. Very cool instruments and the reissue line were done in so many cool colours. The baritones are even cooler. Jerry Jones are amazing too. A friend of mine's main guitar is a DC 59 or whatever it's called, the Jimmy Page/Syd one. Sounds great. So spiky.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

got myself my second danelectro: a Modified 59 Jimmy Page with the new bridge made in korea. factory setup is good but the bridge pickup sounds a bit to quietly compared to the neck pickup. i know i know that the bridge pickup is always a bit softer but i'd like to raise it maybe a bit. would i compromise the sound of both pickups on this way? like setting them out of phase or something?

LP\_59-O-LHBK.jpg

Archived