What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am in that same category, though I have a slightly different outlook from most studio owners. I buy a lot of gear with the idea that few things will remain in my studio. There is no way for me to know in advance whether or not a keyboard will really stay for the long term. Over the past year I have bought, sold, and returned more than $25,000 worth of synths and workstations. I hope the JP-80 stays in my studio for years, but if it leaves a few weeks later, then at least I can say that I actually owned it for a while and I have an understanding of how it works.

• Members
Bernard , u want to buy this?

Probably not. On paper the Kronos would suit me better but Sound and Build (fan) make me shy away from the current offering.

The new Mox may be better for me, but I do not want another limited interface synth after my (love its sound) MiniAk, so not sure if they have made too many compromises. Poly and Effects cut backs on that don't bother me.

In someways it is the limited effects routing of the Jupiter 80 that bothers me the most and it seems the VA is possibly not going to offer much more than my GAIA, so I am pleased with the Roland stuff I do have (Gaia, MV and its BASS synth and the SP effects/sampler).

Adding the SP effects to the out put of my GAIA has expanded its sound capability in a direction I really like so I really have enough. The MiniAk when I master it's interface will be the icing on the cake.

Its fun to dream and GAS but the focus of the Jupiter-80 is also for real sounds and after lots of thought I realise lots of effort has been put into that synth in areas I do not need. Just the same conclusion I came to with the V-Synth. It would just be wasted on me.

The Mox is a gateway drug to the XF :facepalm: I am trying to resist that also :lol:

• Members

can jupiter 80 be a "replacement" for Yamaha VL 1 ?

Not without a BC input. Almost all the patches on a VL-1 wont make a peep unless you blow. That's where 85% of the VL-1's expressiveness comes from...having three wheels and AT helps too. All that active control over the physical model is sublime. :love:

• Members

resistance is futile

if the jupiter is 61 key, it would make my decision easier. no way im lugging around this huge 76 key board

I think that is the selling point of the Mox... I am sure Roland are watching if it suceeds and planning a similar angle if so...

• Members

will there be any possibility of a 61-key version?

Rumor has it they will be doing a Jupiter-88 with piano action 88 keys...

I would not hold my breath on a 61 key but they may be able to squeeze it in given how it is layed out. Not heard any rumors though...

• Members

This is a synth I could really GAS for. I'm just blown away by the sounds I've heard.

I guess because I own an M3m, the KRONOS hasn't amazed me.

Does a Fantom XR sound anything like the Jupiter 80?

I'm thinking I might get a Fantom XR module down the road.

If the Jupiter 80 was priced at $2k, they would be flying off the shelves.

That is an amazing-sounding synth, but not for $4k.

• Members

Etienne Rambert, I'd choose Sonic Cell over Fantom XR, does much more than the XR (minus the sampling) at a lower price (used). plus , that desktop form factor is much more useful. If you have the M3, the Roland is gonna complement it well. Roland's woodwinds are delicious sounding, plus I never liked Korg's reverbs

• Members

bernard, how about $2999 for 61-key version?

Lets see.. for one of my English pounds with a queens head I get some dollars (1 pound = 1 dollar x the Obama effect x the gulf oil slick x the irradiation after years of abomb tests x the irradiation spread by Kronos cooling fans x I know where the US is headed / the UK is also irradiated by Chernobyl / our politicians also suck / they started another freaken war / the south coast is sinking into the sea / one of our nuclear power stations will probably melt down x same in the US LOL / Roland UK charge too much = 1.6051 U.S. dollars)

That's

• Members

Etienne Rambert, I'd choose Sonic Cell over Fantom XR, does much more than the XR (minus the sampling) at a lower price (used). plus , that desktop form factor is much more useful. If you have the M3, the Roland is gonna complement it well. Roland's woodwinds are delicious sounding, plus I never liked Korg's reverbs

I'd want the XR's sampler. My M3m 256 meg RAM is almost used up because I

boot all the expansion voices. I think I only have 64 meg left for sampling on the M3. So a Fantom XR module w/528 meg would be nice.

I know I could just delete 128 meg from the Korg boot. But I'd rather keep everything on-board accessible when I need it.

I'm wondering if the XR sounds anything like the Jupiter 80. Probably not.

I have really been impressed with what I've heard on the Jp80.

It looks like Roland has stopped making the Fantom XR module.

That means it's not offering any rack mount modules.

Archived