What will Roland's new synth be? Speculate here..

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Now says:

''This video has been removed by the user''

maybe he read my post?

Anyways-the other videos are pretty lame as well-it sounded much more exciting when i saw Scott Tibbs wail on it!

• Members

Bernard, who is the guy doing the demo in this video? Guy is awesome whoever he is, I really enjoyed the part at the end.

I love what I am hearing so far on the Jupiter, in as much as I don't 'need' it, I think I will most likely get one. Wifey will have my nuts but I will sneak it in with the rest of my stuff an hopefully she won't notice right away :lol:

• Members

I love what I am hearing so far on the Jupiter, in as much as I don't 'need' it, I think I will most likely get one. Wifey will have my nuts but I will sneak it in with the rest of my stuff an hopefully she won't notice right away
:lol:

Unpossible - Nowhere in the known universe has any man ever got new gear into his house without a female member of the household noticing :lol:

They have built in emotion detectors, if you do it while they are out they can tell just by the fact your having fun...

• Members
Jimmy Kresic
(
http://www.youtube.com/user/liquidhome22#p/u
)

Unpossible - Nowhere in the known universe has any man ever got new gear into his house without a female member of the household noticing

They have built in emotion detectors, if you do it while they are out they can tell just by the fact your having fun...

Yes my joy for new toys is not easily contained either. She always finds out

• Members

Yes my joy for new toys is not easily contained either. She always finds out

LOL @ you guys ^^^

I've been trying to sneak gear in for a long time, myheory was that if you have a lot, you woul be more successful, but it never works for me, mine knows if there's even a new guitar pick sitting on the piano, lol

After every new piece I bring home I get the "Is that it now? Are you done? Can we renovate he bathroom now? Please???"

Who the heck wants a new bathroom? :facepalm:

and that damn Michael keyboard wiz guy, he doesnt help matter either, him and his great videos. He has personally caused me a lot of heart ache. :lol:

• Members

I always listen to your music Dr. Wu. And it's always well worth the time.

But this one took way too long to download. I never could get to the Flugelhorn part.

I was still waiting after 10 minutes.

Must be the connection.

i just tried and it plays instantly. Please try again Etienne-hey that rhymes!

• Members

Oh him! I've watched his videos before, I always laugh at the faces he makes, the dude is funny.

Great player too!

LOL @ you guys ^^^

I've been trying to sneak gear in for a long time, myheory was that if you have a lot, you woul be more successful, but it never works for me, mine knows if there's even a new guitar pick sitting on the piano, lol

After every new piece I bring home I get the "Is that it now? Are you done? Can we renovate he bathroom now? Please???"

Who the heck wants a new bathroom?
:facepalm:

and that damn Michael keyboard wiz guy, he doesnt help matter either, him and his great videos. He has personally caused me a lot of heart ache.

I always get the "are you done yet" stuff too. I bought a used Nord Stage Compact a couple months ago, knowing that I was going to get something to replace my S90ES pretty soon down the line. Now that I'm checking out the options, the grief is starting up again...

The more I hear this Jupiter the more I like it.

• Members

The things I hoped were there are. The MFX routing is OK, seems they have the majority of effects in the MFX selection with an EQ built in which I feared was missing, so that is great.

For those without Roland gear, MFX is Multi FX, IE a stack of FX per one MFX effect, not as dramatic as some say in the MV which has some with seven effects in one MFX but on this thing you have 4 in parallel which can feed any of the four tones plus all the other stuff normal and global... probably more than enough for most. Plus all the other tone layers etc with their own effects.

The MFX's are a different flavor to the normal Roland stuff, seem to be less classes with more types of those classes e.g lots of different phaser MFX's. Also spotted many 3D sound effects. No Vocoder MFX.

• Members

The JP80 is selling here for $3700AUD at my local shop, Kronos 61 can be had for $3200AUD as well

Not bad, less than I expected, but if it was $1000 less I'd jump on it!

Hopefully it flops, and when they blow it out cheap. I'll be ready :p

Howard Jones again - nice sounds. this is what I'd use it for

[video=youtube;lt1N_FP5HSU]

Effects - Dry at the end, JP8 sounds

[video=youtube;qfLuI5Oh2YQ]

This video shows some of the synth editing screens - the envelopes can be looped and synced.

I don't recall any other Roland with his facility. My TG77 and A6 have it off course.

3 oscillators and 2 LFOs each tone by the looks of it

[video=youtube;CccBvvKN92M]

• Members

Hey guys, take it easy. Take it easy and give it up for Roland for having huge balls. Love them or hate them, you have to admit Roland has huge balls. You totally have to do that. Big, big balls, bouncing around like basket balls, but bigger. Bouncing and twirling in the glory of having balls. I'd buy this synth, but I don't have the balls.

P.S. Let's here it for testicles, and testicles that have the balls to be nuts.

• Members

Just got back from my little excursion to my local music store, where they now have both a JP80 and Kronos on display. I brought along my headphones

-----

Spent about 1.5 hours on both synths

And any GAS I might have had for them is now gone, especially the Kronos :wave:

First I fired up the Jupiter 80, using my Beyer Dynamic DT880, which I know really well, and how my synths sound on it.

My intial impression of the overall tone was exactly how it sounds in the various demos and on Youtube. A certain "lush" rounded pumped lower mids quality. Like it might have been recorded on analog tape type tone.

I was just going through the registrations. Half of them are filled, and then rest are "blank". Mind you there is not a lot of them.

Navigation wise it's a bit of a pain. Registrations are what you access immediately, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get to and play patches without doing a initialisation via the utility menu and then drop down into a patch and then tweak/play.

I then went to work on a basic VA sawtooth patch myself. Each ocillator has it's own filter, amp etc. Flexible, but trying to get a dual oscillator patch where both go through a single filter seems like a pain. Some of the older Rolands like my XV5080 have structures that allow for this, but it seems the JP80 is more like the D50 in this regard....

Basic sound is ok here. The filter setup and sound reminds me of my XV5080. I was expecting something a bit more analog sounding.

But you do get some improvements, 12/24db switch for all filter types - LPF, HPF, BPF and peaking. 12Db has a bit of that JP8 12db tone, but it's not wet and glowy like the old Roland analogs that's for sure.

While the filter will boom and scream, it won't self oscillate and there isn't the type of analog sub frequencies that rattles your head here.

The envelopes/filter is really snappy though, very punchy and percussive. Has that "bonk" sound. Something the XV5080 struggles with, and a lot of soft synths I've tried :)

PWM didn't sound like I was expecting compared to the silky JP8 PWM, SH2, MKS80 or Juno 106 I have. It didn't have that hollow square tone, sounded more like a pulse wave that modulates a bit even when set to 50% pulse width. Unison adds a lot of beef, and Supersaw is not bad.

Overall the VA section didn't remind me of JP8 or any ROland analog for that matter. There is a bit of that hardness that I hear like in romplers with filters.

Synth features wise, it's not much better than older Rolands like my XV5080, and in some ways worse off modulation wise. JP80 still has that hardwired aftetouch to filter modulation, that all Rolands since the dawn of time have had.... shiee

I can tell you right now, editing sounds with the touch screen is a pain in the ass! You have to touch something and then twirl the jog wheel or use buttons. I was expecting the knobs under screen to help here, like they do on my Andromeda, but no such luck.

Not only that, but if try to tweak the filter live with those endless knobs it's so slow. One turn for full range would have been much better and more analog like tweaking. Having to turn the knob 3-5 full turns to do a full sweep seems a bit pointless.... and makes it useless for live work... :facepalm:

Then I went back to play more combinations sound, and I just kept thinking "meh". Sounds like a usual Rompler Workstation'ish type things.

And I can tell you there can't be much modelling going on in the Super NA sounds, because the top range of the keyboard goes chipmunk like as with samples... It ain't like my VL1 which has proper modelling and expressiveness. Holding down switches to activate articulations seemed a bit naff IMO.

I do like the SuperNA Piano though, it has this warm, full, woody feel. I prefer it over all the Kronos pianos! The EP has nice gruffy bite too.

All the SuperNA sound meaty and punchy.

There about 100+ Super NA patches/sounds, and you can't edit them much. These are separate from the other patches. Which number 2048, a lot, and 48 or so are blank. All kinds of stuff here and lots of basic synth tones.

The build quality is good. I'd rate it about 7-8 out of 10. On par with early 90s high end gear. Buttons feel good, and the jog wheel is slick.

Only the cheap plastic lid on the USB port, and the cheap looking pitchbender unit bring it down. The screen graphics looks cheap, but it works better at an angle than the Kronos one, so it's using a better panel type. Just the sunken design, with those knobs under the screen that feel like they're in the way, makes using the touch screen a pain, holding the back of the case seems to be order of the day!

--------------

After that I went to the Kronos. Again it sounded like what I expected from demos, and Youtube vids. That thinner, more nasal, brittle, digital and flat type Korg sound, not unlike the M3 I tried a month back, and the same character as the Triton and other Korg Workstations. Sometimes I get an impression of my old Wavestation, but less "warm" :)

I was expecting the pianos to blow away the JP80 ones, but they didn't have that fullness and warmth. Even the dark Japanese Grand ones didn't sound that warm, woody and dark to me.

The EPs were a bit better though, but the brass, and strings and other stuff just sounded "screechy" to me.

Karma was cool, and the only thing I'd consider getting a Kronos for, but maybe when they improve everything else.

Now build quality was the real shocker - CHEAP! :eek:

The end caps are like that thin shinny plastic, that gets all smudged up, and would crack if hit!

The volume knob was thin, tall and wobbly. Same for the nasty sliders, wobbly and you can see the board exposed through the slits.

The Vector joystick is cheap looking, tiny and quite loose. Not a patch on the quality Wavestation one, which has more solid feeling resistance.

The pitchbend/modulation joystick looked like Fisher price toy and reminded me of the Novation items. The jog wheel is really toy like and flimsy looking...

That's the impression I got when you take in the frontal panel - a MAudio/Novation made controller keyboard, maybe even worse!

The screen graphics looks more classy than the JP80 one, small writing though, but not as bad as people make it. Just that if you sit in front of it and view it at an angle it fades like a cheap TN panel monitor.

It's about time they start using OLED or at least a better quality IPS or PVA panel for these screens....

Nope I can't see a Kronos lasting long if you gigged it!

5/10 for me build quality wise.

---

I then went back to the JP80 and played it some more, edit patches etc, the warmer and lusher tones were a relief after the Kronos :poke:

So I would consider a JP80, but for a lot cheaper, second hand in the future perhaps.

• Members

Just got back from my little excursion to my local music store, where they now have both a JP80 and Kronos on display. I brought along my headphones

-----

Spent about 1.5 hours on both synths

And any GAS I might have had for them is now gone, especially the Kronos
:wave:

First I fired up the Jupiter 80, using my Beyer Dynamic DT880, which I know really well, and how my synths sound on it.

My intial impression of the overall tone was exactly how it sounds in the various demos and on Youtube. A certain "lush" rounded pumped lower mids quality. Like it might have been recorded on analog tape type tone.

I was just going through the registrations. Half of them are filled, and then rest are "blank". Mind you there is not a lot of them.

Navigation wise it's a bit of a pain. Registrations are what you access immediately, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get to and play patches without doing a initialisation via the utility menu and then drop down into a patch and then tweak/play.

I then went to work on a basic VA sawtooth patch myself. Each ocillator has it's own filter, amp etc. Flexible, but trying to get a dual oscillator patch where both go through a single filter seems like a pain. Some of the older Rolands like my XV5080 have structures that allow for this, but it seems the JP80 is more like the D50 in this regard....

Basic sound is ok here. The filter setup and sound reminds me of my XV5080. I was expecting something a bit more analog sounding.

But you do get some improvements, 12/24db switch for all filter types - LPF, HPF, BPF and peaking. 12Db has a bit of that JP8 12db tone, but it's not wet and glowy like the old Roland analogs that's for sure.

While the filter will boom and scream, it won't self oscillate and there isn't the type of analog sub frequencies that rattles your head here.

The envelopes/filter is really snappy though, very punchy and percussive. Has that "bonk" sound. Something the XV5080 struggles with, and a lot of soft synths I've tried
:)

PWM didn't sound like I was expecting compared to the silky JP8 PWM, SH2, MKS80 or Juno 106 I have. It didn't have that hollow square tone, sounded more like a pulse wave that modulates a bit even when set to 50% pulse width. Unison adds a lot of beef, and Supersaw is not bad.

Overall the VA section didn't remind me of JP8 or any ROland analog for that matter. There is a bit of that hardness that I hear like in romplers with filters.

Synth features wise, it's not much better than older Rolands like my XV5080, and in some ways worse off modulation wise. JP80 still has that hardwired aftetouch to filter modulation, that all Rolands since the dawn of time have had.... shiee

I can tell you right now, editing sounds with the touch screen is a pain in the ass! You have to touch something and then twirl the jog wheel or use buttons. I was expecting the knobs under screen to help here, like they do on my Andromeda, but no such luck.

Not only that, but if try to tweak the filter live with those endless knobs it's so slow. One turn for full range would have been much better and more analog like tweaking. Having to turn the knob 3-5 full turns to do a full sweep seems a bit pointless.... and makes it useless for live work...
:facepalm:

Then I went back to play more combinations sound, and I just kept thinking "meh". Sounds like a usual Rompler Workstation'ish type things.

And I can tell you there can't be much modelling going on in the Super NA sounds, because the top range of the keyboard goes chipmunk like as with samples... It ain't like my VL1 which has proper modelling and expressiveness. Holding down switches to activate articulations seemed a bit naff IMO.

I do like the SuperNA Piano though, it has this warm, full, woody feel. I prefer it over all the Kronos pianos! The EP has nice gruffy bite too.

All the SuperNA sound meaty and punchy.

There about 100+ Super NA patches/sounds, and you can't edit them much. These are separate from the other patches. Which number 2048, a lot, and 48 or so are blank. All kinds of stuff here and lots of basic synth tones.

The build quality is good. I'd rate it about 7-8 out of 10. On par with early 90s high end gear. Buttons feel good, and the jog wheel is slick.

Only the cheap plastic lid on the USB port, and the cheap looking pitchbender unit bring it down. The screen graphics looks cheap, but it works better at an angle than the Kronos one, so it's using a better panel type. Just the sunken design, with those knobs under the screen that feel like they're in the way, makes using the touch screen a pain, holding the back of the case seems to be order of the day!

--------------

After that I went to the Kronos. Again it sounded like what I expected from demos, and Youtube vids. That thinner, more nasal, brittle, digital and flat type Korg sound, not unlike the M3 I tried a month back, and the same character as the Triton and other Korg Workstations. Sometimes I get an impression of my old Wavestation, but less "warm"
:)

I was expecting the pianos to blow away the JP80 ones, but they didn't have that fullness and warmth. Even the dark Japanese Grand ones didn't sound that warm, woody and dark to me.

The EPs were a bit better though, but the brass, and strings and other stuff just sounded "screechy" to me.

Karma was cool, and the only thing I'd consider getting a Kronos for, but maybe when they improve everything else.

Now build quality was the real shocker - CHEAP!
:eek:
The end caps are like that thin shinny plastic, that gets all smudged up, and would crack if hit!

The volume knob was thin, tall and wobbly. Same for the nasty sliders, wobbly and you can see the board exposed through the slits.

The Vector joystick is cheap looking, tiny and quite loose. Not a patch on the quality Wavestation one, which has more solid feeling resistance.

The pitchbend/modulation joystick looked like Fisher price toy and reminded me of the Novation items. The jog wheel is really toy like and flimsy looking...

That's the impression I got when you take in the frontal panel - a MAudio/Novation made controller keyboard, maybe even worse!

The screen graphics looks more classy than the JP80 one, small writing though, but not as bad as people make it. Just that if you sit in front of it and view it at an angle it fades like a cheap TN panel monitor.

It's about time they start using OLED or at least a better quality IPS or PVA panel for these screens....

Nope I can't see a Kronos lasting long if you gigged it!

5/10 for me build quality wise.

---

I then went back to the JP80 and played it some more, edit patches etc, the warmer and lusher tones were a relief after the Kronos :poke:

So I would consider a JP80, but for a lot cheaper, second hand in the future perhaps.

Fantastic and well observed review... Thanks so much for your time and effort... Some of the characteristics I have spotted on demo's you have echoed here. I hope people stop bashing people who review stuff like this, you are obviously being honest and confirming what you perceive and what suits your tastes...

• Members

There was a Motif as well on the same rack. I didn't take a look at it. The quiet unassuming synth in the corner, which is probably wondering what all the fuss is about :lol:

I'll make another trip to check it out one day, but I'm not in the market for one right now, as the XV5080 does all I need for 128 voice workstation duties, and for a bargain price. Even the JD990 go for almost as much as it on the 2nd hand market!

Software will fill the rest of the gaps.

I like using the sympathetic resonance from Pianoteq layered under the XV5080 SRX-07 piano to improve it

http://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/xv5080-srx07-piano

Archived