"Turn your gain down... now turn your mids up"

guitarbilly74

• Members

seriously .. some people are so {censored}ing clueless... :facepalm:

I let a friend of mine borrow my "beater" amp last night for his practice, it'sa Carvin Valvemaster. Now granted that's no Mark III but it's a decent sounding amp.

Well I decided to stop by at the studio to watch their practice. I get there and ask how is the amp working and he says "it sounds good but I am having trouble hearing myself". Bear in mind, this is a 100w and he plays in a 3-piece.

I take a look at the amp and his settings are:

Gain 10 :facepalm:

Bass 10 :facepalm:

Mids 3 :facepalm:

Treble 5 :facepalm:

and since he couldn't hear himself....

Presence 10 :facepalm::facepalm:

I change his EQ setting to something more reasonable and he starts to play again and says "WOW this is the BEST amp ever" (no it isn't) and now he wants to buy it from me. Keep in mind he has a DSL (a much better amp) that is currently in the shop. It turns out that he's been setting his DSL like that for years, always have problems with his tone and it NEVER occurred to him to add mids to cut through, he just kept turning it up all the time :facepalm:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But theres a lot of amps that don't need the mids cranked to cut thru the mix tho.

this is true. On my 2204, the mids knob is more of an upper mid knob, and can get waaay too nasty with that knob cranked, however, the amp still has PLENTY of mids left to cut through. I've had no trouble with that what so ever.

• Members

It has ever been thus. I learned this mixing bad metal bands in the 80's, and ALL the guitarists had no mid/too much gain/too loud. You can't talk to a lot of them, they're happy sounding like a bee in a bottle, because it's "their sound", but if the show sounds like {censored}, it's the soundguys fault. No vocals, or drums because the guitars are too loud on stage, yep, soundguys fault. You'd think that they'd listen to someone who's been playing in bands for as long as they've been breathing, but no,"what do you know about sound? You're just the sound guy!"

I can make it bigger, but I can't make it.

• Members

It was nice of you to show him that the eq knobs on an amp can be set in a variety of different spots, which will result in changing the tone. Sometimes for the better, and sometimes for the worse

You are a good person - a Good Amp-aritan.

• Members

Damn, even if he had the mids high- Gain 10 and Bass 10? Did it just sound like one long beefy fart?

lol.. yeah bass on 10... His bass player was playing through a SWR 400w head and 8x10 cab so I was like "dude look at your rig and look at his.. now tell me, who do you think should handle the low end?" :facepalm:

• Members

Tale as old as time

True as it can be

Barely even friends

Then some body bends

Unexpectingly

Just a little change

Small to say the least

Both a little scared

Neither one prepared

Beauty and the beast

Ever just the same

Ever a surprise

Ever as before

Ever just as sure

As the sun will rise

Tale as old as time

Tune as old as song

Bitter sweet and strange

Finding you can change

Learning you were wrong

Certain as the sun

Rising in the east

Tale as old as time

Song as old as rhyme

Beauty and the beast x2

Off to the cupboard with you chip it's past your bed time

Goodnight love

• Members

I don't agree.

Low gain, and high mids are overdone.

I want slightly scooped buzzsaw guitars that don't steal the hi-hats and vocals freqs.

Guitar cutting pristine through the mix has made everything sound honky and too in your face processed. I am after a warmer experience and am fed up of the noise wars and guitar mids obsession.

SCOOP 4 EVA!

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXZMi8GQcKw

Is better than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcmEq7vLDIs

This:

Better than mids obsessed modern Chillis:

It's all starting to shred my ears.

• Members

I don't agree.

I want slightly scooped buzzsaw guitars that don't steal the hi-hats and vocals freqs.

Guitar cutting pristine through the mix has made everything sound honky and too in your face processed. I am after a warmer experience and am fed up of the noise wars and guitar mids obsession.

SCOOP 4 EVA!

This..

I dont particularly scoop, but for a live situation I keep the mids kinda low and I cut through fine., BUt I play PVXXX or 5150's which cut through really well anyway... I use a fairly good amount of bass and I keep the treble in reason and Im set to go....

• Members

I don't agree.

SCOOP 4 EVA!

I hope this is a joke. Scooped guitars sound great in your bedroom or at rehearsal , but they make me want to saw my own ears off when they are mic'ed up. I have seen a lot of bands ruined by their guitar scooping their mids out. Its a quick way to ruin a good mix.

• Members

I hope this is a joke. Scooped guitars sound great in your bedroom or at rehearsal , but they make me want to saw my own ears off when they are mic'ed up. I have seen a lot of bands ruined by their guitar scooping their mids out. Its a quick way to ruin a good mix.

he said slightly scooped, and i agree with him. mids turned slightly lower than your other knobs.

bass 5, mid 4, treble 6 would technically be "scooped" :idea:

• Members

He said slightly scooped.:poke:

• Members

No joke. I think boosted mids are overdone bigtime.

The obsession with cutting through is ruining a band mix. Overbearing guitars are now not pushed hard at the power section because the mids are giving a false sense of volume so it ends up nasal.

As for live, it is all up to the sound guy to compensate.

I want a revolution. No more safe mixes and "turn it down" soundmen.

Crush with volume, attitude and frenzy and punch in the chest chugs. Not punch in the ear drum spiked waves.

Archived