"Turn your gain down... now turn your mids up"

guitarbilly74

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Where does the bass player fit in this equation?

Well, if you tune down 3 whole steps and turnz teh mids all the way down you don't even need him.

I do like a slightly scooped tone here and there, but Mustaines tone during Rust In Peace days is sexay and the epitome of a nice midrange crunch.

• Moderators
The greatest musicians/composers of the last 1000 years are all egomaniacs.

There is a vast chasm between "egomaniac, brilliant musician" and "egomaniac F'ing ass who will spend his entire life being too hip for the room". Something 99% of the egomaniac musicians I've met have failed to understand. :)

• Members

I've found that 90% of the time, all my amps end up with everything at about 2 o'clock. Which is funny, because a sound guy recently said "yeah, you've got that standard scooped metal tone", as I stared at my SIG X with the wood setting and the mids healthily up around 7.

Another note to soundguys, if the amp is too bright, why not get the damn mic off the dustcap? Sorry, personal pet peeve. Anyways.

I think a lot of it has to do with the other sonics going on. Both my co-guitarist and I do occasionally run the mids a little lower, but that's partly to make room for the samples and keyboards in the backing tracks. For me it's all about finding the right place, and doing whatever I have to do to get there. Scopping highlights the treble and perceived bass, so I understand why people do it, but at the end of the day, a balanced tone is always going to sound better - if your band's tone sucks, especially if you think it's too bassy, or not bassy enough, talk to the bassist and drummer as well.

I've found in recording I tend to record with pretty zesty mids, and then I carve some out to make room for other stuff. One of the things I love about the UL is that I can drop the 500k slider to make room for vocals pretty easily live.

• Members
seriously .. some people are so {censored}ing clueless...
:facepalm:
I let a friend of mine borrow my "beater" amp last night for his practice, it'sa Carvin Valvemaster. Now granted that's no Mark III but it's a decent sounding amp.

Well I decided to stop by at the studio to watch their practice. I get there and ask how is the amp working and he says "it sounds good but I am having trouble hearing myself". Bear in mind, this is a 100w and he plays in a 3-piece.

I take a look at the amp and his settings are:

Gain 10
Bass 10
Mids 3
Treble 5

and since he couldn't hear himself....

Presence 10

I change his EQ setting to something more reasonable and he starts to play again and says "WOW this is the BEST amp ever" (no it isn't) and now he wants to buy it from me. Keep in mind he has a DSL (a much better amp) that is currently in the shop. It turns out that he's been setting his DSL like that for years, always have problems with his tone and it NEVER occurred to him to add mids to cut through, he just kept turning it up all the time

:freak: x 1 million.

A DSL will sound like ballz in a woodchipper with those settings.

• Members
seriously .. some people are so {censored}ing clueless...
I let a friend of mine borrow my "beater" amp last night for his practice, it'sa Carvin Valvemaster. Now granted that's no Mark III but it's a decent sounding amp.

Well I decided to stop by at the studio to watch their practice. I get there and ask how is the amp working and he says "it sounds good but I am having trouble hearing myself". Bear in mind, this is a 100w and he plays in a 3-piece.

I take a look at the amp and his settings are:

Gain 10
Bass 10
Mids 3
Treble 5

and since he couldn't hear himself....

Presence 10

I change his EQ setting to something more reasonable and he starts to play again and says "WOW this is the BEST amp ever" (no it isn't) and now he wants to buy it from me. Keep in mind he has a DSL (a much better amp) that is currently in the shop. It turns out that he's been setting his DSL like that for years, always have problems with his tone and it NEVER occurred to him to add mids to cut through, he just kept turning it up all the time

THere's some truth in that, but I've never had any trouble cutting through somewhat scooping mids ... you have to pay attention & be observant of the mix though.

HT

• Members

This..

I dont particularly scoop, but for a live situation I keep the mids kinda low and I cut through fine., BUt I play PVXXX or 5150's which cut through really well anyway... I use a fairly good amount of bass and I keep the treble in reason and Im set to go....

Peaveys have a huge amount of mids in their core tone, there is no need to boost mids on a Peavey. Most other amps will benefit from it though.

• Members

Mic'ing up a guitar, running it through miles of solid state electronics, and having the sound that was originally point-source at the guitar cab be split into 3 or 4 frequency ranges in the PA will tend to scoop the mids, anyway.

You know, this is true, and so many guitarists are setting their amps up from a listening position that is 3 feet up and 3 feet over from what the mic is hearing.

• Members
he said
slightly
scooped, and i agree with him. mids turned slightly lower than your other knobs.

bass 5, mid 4, treble 6 would technically be "scooped"
:idea:

yeah that's more reasonable..

yesterday we ended up setting the treble at 6, mids at 6 and bass at 4.5 with the gain around 7... it sounded WAY better.

Archived