"Turn your gain down... now turn your mids up"

guitarbilly74

• Members

I don't agree.

Low gain, and high mids are overdone.

I want slightly scooped buzzsaw guitars that don't steal the hi-hats and vocals freqs.

Guitar cutting pristine through the mix has made everything sound honky and too in your face processed. I am after a warmer experience and am fed up of the noise wars and guitar mids obsession.

SCOOP 4 EVA!

This:

Is better than this:

This:

Better than mids obsessed modern Chillis:

It's all starting to shred my ears.

I am with this guy for a change... I hate the mids way up on my amps. They sound FAR too honky. I never have any trouble being heard in a mix with any type of band I play in.

Mids here are FAR over rated.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You wouldn't last long in one of my bands.There is no I in team. We beat the crap out of the egomaniacs.

Hey smart guy, you are correct, there is no I in team.

But if you decide you wanna look closely, there is a ME in team. Just an FYI.

• Members

it has been nice lately without dorks like weathered in every thread like it was a while back telling you to turn your mids up and gain down for literally every single question you had. what an annoying period that was

Haha. Yeah I remember him and I didn't see eye to eye on the live etiquette.

I called him the Clear Channel Network of safe non threatening family atmosphere stage sound.

• Members
Hey smart guy, you are correct, there is no I in team.

But if you decide you wanna look closely, there is a ME in team. Just an FYI.

When I was 13, my baseball coach told me "There's no "I" in team". I responded with "I know...but there's an "I" in win.".

He didn't know how to respond. :lol:

• Members

Peaveys have a huge amount of mids in their core tone, there is no need to boost mids on a Peavey. Most other amps will benefit from it though.

Exactly! A lot of it depends on the amp, too. Different amps tend to come predisposed toward different frequencies than others, and need to be EQed accordingly. For my personal taste, I haven't found too many amps that sound particularly good to me with the bass, mids, treble or presence set at either extreme, with a few exceptions, such as the very high-oriented clean channel on my Tone-Master.

• Members

I don't agree.

Low gain, and high mids are overdone.

I want slightly scooped buzzsaw guitars that don't steal the hi-hats and vocals freqs.

Guitar cutting pristine through the mix has made everything sound honky and too in your face processed. I am after a warmer experience and am fed up of the noise wars and guitar mids obsession.

SCOOP 4 EVA!

This:

Is better than this:

dude... no

• Members

See, I'm a little more on the blanced mids end of things....

On my VH100R with EL34's (gonna be a LOT of mids with this setup,) I have Bass around 11.5oclock, Mids at 12.5oclock and Trebs at 11oclock, Presence just shy of 10oclock.

I play a guitar with 60g-10g strings and an EMG81 in the bridge, so it's got a lot of thunk. My 412 is also huge, so I get a lot of beef naturally....

When I play a lead, my green channel with the "drive" about 3oclock and boost out front, I have Bass at 3oclock, Trebles at 10oclock, and Mids at 12.5oclock, and the "tone" drooped to bring lower mids, lots of volume boost and a little grit. Makes for sizzling leads with clarity and thunk.

I think it really comes down to the "whole rig" argument here for me. As well as in a band setting, I want to cut through when playing leads, but I want to meld and bring out the true band sound as a whole when doing everything else.

By the way, my gain is 2oclock and my drive is at 3.5oclock. Clarity, sizzle, thunk and not honky at all....

-Curtis

• Members

Yeah I wasn't necessarily talking about mids on 10.. but if you set the gain and bass to 10 and the mids to 3 you will have problems...

I just played a little through my amp at the same settings we had last night and by itself it did not sound too good, but with the band last night it was :love:

different settings for different situations...

Archived