"Turn your gain down... now turn your mids up"

guitarbilly74

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't agree.

Low gain, and high mids are overdone.

I want slightly scooped buzzsaw guitars that don't steal the hi-hats and vocals freqs.

Guitar cutting pristine through the mix has made everything sound honky and too in your face processed. I am after a warmer experience and am fed up of the noise wars and guitar mids obsession.

SCOOP 4 EVA!

This:

Is better than this:

This:

Better than mids obsessed modern Chillis:

It's all starting to shred my ears.

First clip...holy crap you really think that sounds better than the Trivium clip? I'm not even talking musical style, just pure tone alone I liked the Trivium clip much better and I really dislike Trivium.

The second set of clips are both good tones. I like old INXS but I really like newer Chili Peppers from about the time they ditched Dave Navarro. I think Frusciante's tone is full of win. It's hard to compare tones of two different styles of music. They each work for what they are trying to do.

• Members

The second set of clips are both good tones. I like old INXS but I really like newer Chili Peppers from about the time they ditched Dave Navarro. I think Frusciante's tone is full of win. It's hard to compare tones of two different styles of music. They each work for what they are trying to do.

I agree.. and I also think scooped mids works well for clean tones anyway.

• Members

First clip...holy crap you really think that sounds better than the Trivium clip? I'm not even talking musical style, just pure tone alone I liked the Trivium clip much better and I really dislike Trivium.

That is why I am in the minority. I think the Trivium sound is safe and the Laaz Rockit sound is more METAL because it is angry and pissed off.

Fuschante's tone went from genius of blood sugar sex magic to ear scraping {censored}e in the modern disks IMO.

• Members

The only way to scoop successfully in a live mix is having a midrangy tone coming from your cab. Then have the soundman selectively scoop your tone using the mixing board EQ. Preferably parametric. Then HE can pick what frequency (of absence thereof) won't interfere with the rest of the mix.

Of course most people won't have this luxury.

And another thing, don't people realize that your amp's mid knob setting is far from the only factor in how scooped or not scooped the amps tone is ?
Some circuits/amps are inherently more scooped than others. E.G. A Bogner Ubershcall with the mids and presence (a mid control itself on this amp) on 10 sounds far more scooped than a JCM 800 with its mids way down.

• Members

You can do maybe 4 in a band setting but below that you just can't hear the guitar anymore in the mix. I was just recently at an In Flames show, and my only complaint was that the guitars were near impossible to hear because the mids were at about three (on Jespers amp at least. That was the one I zoomed in on a camera to look at settings)

• Members

You can do maybe 4 in a band setting but below that you just can't hear the guitar anymore in the mix. I was just recently at an In Flames show, and my only complaint was that the guitars were near impossible to hear because the mids were at about three (on Jespers amp at least. That was the one I zoomed in on a camera to look at settings)

His mids were low on the 5150 because he has ears.

• Members

When using my Strat and Dr. Z Maz, I find it helps to crank the mid knob since the amp has plenty of presence to begin with. I run the head through a heavy, ported 2x12 which really puts out a lot of low end. I don't use high gain, so this works nicely for me.

• Members

I know. But read the original post. Guy was playing for an hour with a 100w tube head and couldn't hear himself for {censored} over bass and drums. Not even that big of a mix. That's when you have to stop and re-eq your gear.

Oh that wasn't directed at the OP it was part of the 5150 mids discussion I was having with thefyn

• Members
This is a classic case of "Bedroomwankitis". You try those settings

without a PA and playing to people 100 plus feet out...

WELL, ya' know.

yeah.. the guy is a decent player though and play out quite often, he should be over that stage now. I saw his band live once and yep, he sounded like {censored}, but he blamed on the soundguy and I believed him.. but now I know the real reason :lol:

• Members

Never been a fan of Dimebag's tone at all. It's way too scooped and grainy for me. I know a lot of people like it but it just really sounds harsh to my ears.

Do you really prefer this type of tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhYT-7bzHis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aubiqATgNaQ&feature=related

Because it is "good" tone? I think it is counter productive when something angry sounds so professional and polished. I want my smelly metal back. Does anyone at least get my point?

• Members

Do you really prefer this type of tone:

Because it is "good" tone? I think it is counter productive when something angry sounds so professional and polished. I want my smelly metal back. Does anyone at least get my point?

Those tones are ok, but I will agree with you that a lot of current music is WAY too overproduced. A lot of this new {censored} sounds like one of Britney Spear's producers got ahold of the track.

I miss the stuff in the 90's that was really raw and lo-fi. The Grunge/Indie scene of the 90's is some of the best sounding stuff IMO.

Archived