REB BEACH: KIRK HAMMETT Is One Of The Worst Guitar Players I've Ever Heard

RaceU4her

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

, but I think he's one of the worst guitar players I've ever heard in my life. I've never heard a solo from that guy that was any good. . . This guy is out of tune, and his vibration... what is it? Vibrato. Oh my god. It sounds like a beginner."

He continued, "Back in the '80s, he was always voted best guitar player, and I'm like, 'What?! That guy is terrible.'

"I hate to say that because I might meet him one day.

"What's he play in? MEGADETH? METALLICA? Is he in METALLICA? Oh, then I have no problem doing that because in their biggest video, 'Nothing Else Matters', when they threw darts at a poster of Kip Winger, and then they showed it live

• Members

I agree with that, technical skill doesn't necessarily mean that the music that is produced is technically difficult, but my argument is that having the knowledge is the real skill not the ability to play something difficult.

See now we are getting somewhere. I think a lot of people in this thread are confusing the two. You can have all the musical theory knowledge in the world that does not mean you can make the most technical music.

• Members

Complex rythyms, speed, time changes etc etc.

Mahavishnu Orchestra was there first 40 years ago and would still put many so-called death metal bands to shame if we go by this short list.

Go back to the video I posted in this thread for truly technically-demanding playing (don't overlook the fact that the playing in question is totally musical).

• Members

I see your point....but you are wrong. Being able to read, write, and compose music does not make the music itself technical.

it takes YEARS to play the violin at an acceptable level, which constitutes the technical aspect of classical music. Playing even the 'simplest' classical music requires a high level of TECHNICAL skill.

and 'tech death metal' :lol::facepalm: being able to play a couple of arpeggios knowing a few scales and a few polyrhythms is not technical. I doubt even the best death metal drummer would be able to play what a classical percussionist has to play during a concert.a WHOLE different level of technical skill.

and by the way, numbskull, i think YOU are the one that cannot distinguish between 'technical' and 'complex'. And ever there you are so wrong, it's laughable. Classical music is INFINITELY more complex than 'tech' death metal :facepalm:

• Members

it takes YEARS to play the violin at an acceptable level, which constitutes the technical aspect of classical music. Playing even the 'simplest' classical music requires a high level of TECHNICAL skill.

and 'tech death metal'
:lol::facepalm:
being able to play a couple of arpeggios and a few polyrhythms is not technical. I doubt even the best death metal drummer would be able to play what a classical percussionist has to play during a concert.a WHOLE different level of technical skill

Technical skill =/= technical music durrr

• Members

So now that Ive officially been pwnt by everybody in this thread can we all agree Metallica > Winger?

Yeah, as long as we can all agree kirk hamster sucks.

p.s. the 80s sucked. Hair metal blew, and there were a few good thrash bands. :snax: And new wave was popular. {censored}ing new wave.

• Members

Mahavishnu Orchestra was there first 40 years ago and would still put many so-called death metal bands to shame if we go by this short list.

Go back to the video I posted in this thread for truly technically-demanding playing (don't overlook the fact that the playing in question is totally musical).

Not to mention, how much more "technical", by Mikey's own definition, is it to create and arrange contrapuntal parts over rapidly-changing, complex time signatures for around fifty (chamber) to at times over a hundred (syphony/philharmonic) musicians, and how many sane people honestly believe very many, if any at all "technical death metal" musicians would be up to the task?

Yeah, me either! :lol:

• Members

Well this is a bizarre thread.

As someone who writes and records my own music, the most important thing is making it accessible, catchy, hooky, groovy, melodic, punchy, etc etc.

If you take this as the yardstick, Metallica own Winger, who let's face it, have the most ridiculous name ever, and even though Kirk is technically not as good as Reb Beach, he and Metallica did a lot more by the yard stick than most bands. Hence the multiple million fortunes of them all.

I haven't listened to Winger but I just KNOW that they are terrible. I think I'd rather listen to Stryper.

Archived