REB BEACH: KIRK HAMMETT Is One Of The Worst Guitar Players I've Ever Heard

RaceU4her

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As far as i know Reb Beach has had a very succesful career, so i don't think it's sour grapes or jealousy. :idk:

Whatever his motivation, he's correct: Kirk has always been mediocre at best. His 'student of Satch' label is EXTREMELY overrated: He asked Satch to teach him a few quick fancy-sounding tricks, nothing more than that. Everyne with half an ear can hear Kirk never learned much: sloppy rhythm playing, toe-curdling lead playing, horrible (lack of) technique...

Makes you wonder how Metallica made it that big with such a {censored}ty guitarist and such a terrible drummer.

• Members
As far as i know Reb Beach has had a very succesful career, so i don't think it's sour grapes or jealousy.
:idk:

Whatever his motivation, he's correct: Kirk has always been mediocre at best. His 'student of Satch' label is EXTREMELY overrated: He asked Satch to teach him a few quick fancy-sounding tricks, nothing more than that.

Makes you wonder how Metallica made it that big with such a {censored}ty guitarist and such a terrible drummer.

Maybe because they wrote good songs but thats just a guess.

• Members

yeah no {censored}. Problem with that is he's not comparing himself to you, he's comparing himself to Hammett, who made more money last year than he did on his whole career,
despite the fact that HIS band was WAY MORE pop-oriented than Metallica has ever been even on their worst days.
No wonder he's bitter.

I want to kiss you billy

listening to winger makes me physically sick

• Members
Every generation talks crap about the previous generation.

The difference in the generations, we may have been dummies in the 70's and 80's but we thankfully didn't get to go online and prove it to the entire world like today's kids.

We spent more time outside playing, doing physical things and weren't pussies like a lot of the kids today, hiding behind all the rules that keep people from kicking their ass, which is totally what would have happened had they been kids in our time.

I had no problem with putting a fist in your eye if you were being a retard 20-25 years ago, now they cry and call the cops if you beat their ass.

Technology and the anonymity of the internet make people talk tough when you realize that no one is gonna kick your ass.

You would fight someone because they said 80s music sucked? That just makes you a crybaby-bitch :lol:

• Members

hes seriously awful, i still dont understand how he got the gig of lead guitar player in metallica

Hey Chip show me a clip where you out play and write a better song than Hammet and I will agree with you, untill then I call bull{censored}.

I fear your ego is more than your ability.

I am not even a huge metallica fan.

• Members

I love al the totally successful and world renowned musicians at internet forums are so much better than the world renowned musicians with multi million sold albums. Yngwie, Page, Hammet, Mayer, yeah they all suck and internet music hacks can out do them on any album or live gig. :lol:

• Members
Do you think lady gaga sucks?
:confused:

No, I say I may not like their style of music. The artist themselves, well its really stupid to say an artist sucks when they sell more records or earn more than I'll ever earn in 20 years.

Can't stand Jonas Bros or Miley Cyrus either but I won't argue their success. I dont like BTBAM or Opeth, but they are successful at what they do.

Reb Beaaatch is just stupid for running his mouth off like that imo. Makes him sound butthurt and jealous he will be a no name long before people forget who KH is.

• Members

Well it comes down to how you approach music, and a bit of semantics. Those artists have a certain talent of mass appeal, which is worth a lot money. It has to do with image, staying relevant, writing simple yet somewhat unique songs (sometimes) etc. and it certainly is a talent and a drive, but not one that I respect on an artistic basis, so thus I say that I don't like them and their approach to music sucks :idk: FWIW that's more directed at Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Bros because I like or at least somewhat respect all the other artists you listed :lol:

• Members

This thread is so full of fail......

bunch of bedroom player ripping on a guy who could outplay most if not all of you, who's had everything from Major to minor success, and STILL making a living at it some 20+ years later.

Kudos to the guy, for surviving in the industry and for being honest.

• Members

blah blah .. what a bunch of bull{censored}. Winger was a POP band, they wrote songs
specifically tailored to appeal to a large demographic
. They just FAILED at it.

I'd hardly call what they did failure, Had hits on the Radio, Stadium tours, etc... if that's failure, sign me up.

Just because history chooses to see things through a certain view point doesn't make their contribution any less valid.

• Members
Well it comes down to how you approach music, and a bit of semantics. Those artists have a certain talent of mass appeal, which is worth a lot money. It has to do with image, staying relevant, writing simple yet somewhat unique songs (sometimes) etc. and it certainly is a talent and a drive, but not one that I respect on an artistic basis, so thus I say that I don't like them and their approach to music sucks
:idk:
FWIW that's more directed at Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Bros because I like or at least somewhat respect all the other artists you listed
:lol:

Think about it then. While Reb was in spandex with Winger and singing songs about high school hotties, you had KH in a very unpopular (by comparison) movement some considered underground. What happened to 80's glam and what happened to Reb Baeeatch? What happened to the underground metal scene? Metallica and KH are noted for their role in bringing metal up front and out of the dungeon. Metallica and Megadeth were the only bands that survived the grunge and nu metal movement and remained relevant. Where's Reb at in all this? He's a whiner

• Members

Metallica seem like a throwback to NWOBHM but US side, some interesting changes nothing spectacular, nothing bad :idk:

Winger seemed like more of the Bon Jovi stuff, some cool riffs, lots of big tits big pecks posturing..there was a lot of it about. ok band

both are damn cringe worthy to listen to today, they have not aged well.

Reb should have kept his opinion to himself. He surely should have learn't that from his studio session days :confused:

he is right though, hammet sounds as weedy as piss, I've allways thought so... terrible, sounds like he got a Randy Rhoads album, a tab book and just went through the motions and just never really got what it was all about.

• Members

As bad as Hamster's leads are on their own, they still fit Metallica's songs in a way that is instantly recognizable. I guess no one else could substitute him in creating Metallica's sound.

Yeah, i do envy the sheer size of his gear collection though my taste in amps is different... but who cares anyway?

And Reb - oh well, his playing is actually pretty interesting from a guitar player's point of view: always using just three fingers (per hand), loads of cool licks, tapping v2.0, great articulation... I'm quite a fan of his work but i dare to guess most people don't really give a damn about such things.

• Members

bunch of bedroom player ripping on a guy
who could outplay most if not all of you
, who's had everything from Major to minor success, and STILL making a living at it some 20+ years later.

i severely doubt it

• Members
it takes YEARS to play the violin at an acceptable level, which constitutes the technical aspect of classical music. Playing even the 'simplest' classical music requires a high level of TECHNICAL skill.

and 'tech death metal'
:lol::facepalm:
being able to play a couple of arpeggios knowing a few scales and a few polyrhythms is not technical. I doubt even the best death metal drummer would be able to play what a classical percussionist has to play during a concert.a WHOLE different level of technical skill.

and by the way, numbskull, i think YOU are the one that cannot distinguish between 'technical' and 'complex'. And ever there you are so wrong, it's laughable. Classical music is INFINITELY more complex than 'tech' death metal
:facepalm:

I think this little fiasco has set sail.. But the bassist in my band plays bass in Symphony Orchestra's and is a classically trained player as well as jazz.. He'll say without a doubt some of the stuff we play(death metal) is crazier and more difficult than any lines he has to play elsewhere.. But its apples and oranges really.. He easily have to study and practice more for his classical gigs, because of it density.. But when it comes to playing some of our stuff the approach is totally different, and the odd times, rhythms and note selection throws him for a loop from time to time.. I think any good musician, whether they be a metal player or whatver, can learn to play classical music with some time and effort... And Classical guys can play death metal, but they also have to work at it.... I think the technical skills of both are closer than many in this thread realize..

• Members

bunch of bedroom player ripping on a guy who could outplay most if not all of you, who's had everything from Major to minor success, and STILL making a living at it some 20+ years later.

so you are criticizing us for ripping on Reb, but praising Reb for ripping on someone more successful than him?

Yeah that makes sense.

• Members
You would fight someone because they said 80s music sucked? That just makes you a crybaby-bitch
:lol:

We fought over stupid {censored} all the time as kids, music, sports, pretty much whatever was at hand. What we didn't do is sit on a computer and talk about stuff that we weren't alive to experience.

Context, very important to whatever is being discussed. Those that were there have a different point of reference.

No music sucks, however much you personally dislike it. There are genres/periods that I can't stand, for example almost everything in the last 20 years. But I don't particularly say it sucks I just don't relate to it.

And answer to your question, no at this point there is no need to fight over some things, but after growing up in an era where we weren't pussies, and serving 2 tours in combat I am not scared to fight and fairly confident that I know how to win.

Archived