OT: Portnoy tries to come crawling back to DT

madrigal77

• Members
Dream Theater is boring and I really couldn't care less about them.

This. The thread should have ended right here.

A Nightmare to Remember and Count of Tuscany are some of the worst lyrics EVER!!

Indeed:

"It's a miracle he lived. It's a blessing no one died,
by the grace of god above everyone survived. ....RAAAHHRGHH!!!"

Now that's metal! :rolleyes:

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They need to drop LeBrie, get a new Soilwork type singer, get Thomas Lang and go with it. Marco is killer, but I think about him being really good humored and not intense enough for what I would like to see and hear. I can't get away from him doing the Gilbert Starship thing...he would be awesome shredding Shrapnel type records...Satch? Being a drummer first, I kinda have preset ideas about things. No facepalm, please, we all work like this.

• Members

They need to drop LeBrie, get a new Soilwork type singer, get Thomas Lang and go with it. Marco is killer, but I think about him being really good humored and not intense enough for what I would like to see and hear. I can't get away from him doing the Gilbert Starship thing...he would be awesome shredding Shrapnel type records...Satch? Being a drummer first, I kinda have preset ideas about things. No facepalm, please, we all work like this.

Soilwork?! Really?! :freak: Why the hell would Dream Theater want to turn into just another br00tz band?! Trust me, that ain't even about to happen!

We've got more than enough screamers 'n' grunters out there, thank you very much, and Dream Theater as a br00tz band would go over like a {censored}ing fart in church. I would like to hear them get a better SINGER, though, only I'm thinking more the Ray Alder/Russell Allen variety.

• Members
So funny. Portnoy got one sniff of that teenage {censored} he could be hitting with AX7 and dropped nerd theater like a bad habit. LOL, now AX7 is like hay creepy old dude you scaring away all the teenage {censored} beat it. LOL

Now the guy is gonna go drum for jonas brothers.

He is The Rocker :lol:

:lol:

• Members

So funny. Portnoy got one sniff of that teenage {censored} he could be hitting with AX7 and dropped nerd theater like a bad habit. LOL, now AX7 is like hay creepy old dude you scaring away all the teenage {censored} beat it. LOL

Now the guy is gonna go drum for jonas brothers.

Hahahah

Hey, teenage {censored} is teenage {censored}. I don't care if the jonas brothers suck more than A7X (this is up for discussion though)

• Members

I don't get all the hate. DT are amazing. I don't know how you could find them boring. Petrucci's riffs are killer and as you said, they are all so skilled.

snorrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeefest '98. they are to skilled, thats the problem. they only cater to the eiltest of elite robot musicians.

• Members

I don't get all the hate. DT are amazing. I don't know how you could find them boring. Petrucci's riffs are killer and as you said, they are all so skilled.

BY THE GRACE OF GOD ABOVE, EVERYONE SURVIVED!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Members

I was a huge DT fan in the 90's. I loved everything that they did. The problem came when they started to blatantly rip off other bands in their riffs. Scenes tried to be Pink Floyd's the Wall, Six Degrees they were in a big Tool phase, Train they were into Pantera, Octo was Muse, etc...Once you know the bands that they're into at the moment, you can hear the riffs instantly. They want to be heavy without actually writing a truly heavy riff. Honestly, one of the heaviest riffs they ever wrote was The Mirror. Simple riff with the drums laying a groove around it. They think that writing some riff that changes time sig's every other bar is going to come across as heavy. It just doesn't work. They just meander around, aimlessly.

Hell, Jame's new release is way better and heavier than anything that DT has produced in the last 10 years. Just come up with a riff in 4/4, and run some 16th's on the kick's. It isn't rocket science, but they try to reinvent the wheel every time and fail.

• Members

Still, though, it's a pretty {censored}ty situation for Portnoy.

Portnoy - "Hey, I'm going to quit my other project so that I can focus on touring with you guys"

A7X - "ok, sweet, let us know how it goes"

*Portnoy quits DT*

*random backlash*

A7X - "Hey, we don't like how after you quit DT people were mad about it, so you're out of the band"

Portnoy - "Wait, what? You don't like the press we got after I quit the other band to focus on you guys so you're FIRING ME?"

A7X - "Yeah."

Portnoy - "MAYBE YOU COULD HAVE MENTIONED THAT THIS WAS A POSSIBILITY LIKE...I DUNNO, A WHILE BACK?"

A7X - "No hard feelings, bro."

Portnoy - "Hey DT, can I come back?"

DT - "No."

forever+alone+face.png

• Members

Back in 1994, in one of the first dates on the Awake tour, DT played at their old stomping grounds -- the Berklee Performance Center. Our Lady Peace opened the show. 5 songs into their set, OLP's lead singer stopped to yell at the audience; a full house of discerning and over-analyzing Berklee students....

"WTF are you all staring at? Can't you guys let loose and rock out to our music?

This sucks! I feel like I'm playing to a {censored}ing wall mural !!"

Boos ensued. OLP left the stage shortly thereafter, and nobody was all that upset about it. :wave:

• Members

Back in 1994, on the Awake tour, DT played at their old stomping grounds -- the
Berklee Performance Center
. Our Lady Peace opened the show. 5 songs into their set, OLP's lead singer stopped their set to yell at the audience; a full house of discerning and over-analyzing Berklee students....

"WTF are you all staring at? Can't you guys let loose and rock out to our music? This sucks!
I feel like I'm playing to a {censored}ing wall mural !!
"

OLP left the stage shortly thereafter, and nobody was all that upset about it.
:wave:

Dream Theater prefers to play to murals.

Archived