OT: Portnoy tries to come crawling back to DT

madrigal77

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I knew those dudes back in college, and I dug what they were trying to do. Admittedly, was a big fan up and through the release of 1995's ACOS ep. After that? I pretty much bailed on the band emotionally. As such, I support folks ragging on DT in epic proportions...flame away!! :thu:

• Members

It's still somewhat depressing though. They had such a good thing for awhile. I wonder what DT would be like if Kevin Moore was still around. Their next album will probably come with a DVD of Petrucci and Ruddess furious jerking each other off for 15 minutes followed by Verse/Chorus/Outro.

• Members

i respect all of their talents and abilities but they seem like the most rock starish uptight bunch of jerks in every interview especially Portnoy. I have never been a fan of their music and Labrie's vocals are probably some of the most uninspired rehashed drivel in music.

• Members

I was a huge DT fan in the 90's. I loved everything that they did. The problem came when they started to blatantly rip off other bands in their riffs. Scenes tried to be Pink Floyd's the Wall, Six Degrees they were in a big Tool phase, Train they were into Pantera, Octo was Muse, etc...Once you know the bands that they're into at the moment, you can hear the riffs instantly. They want to be heavy without actually writing a truly heavy riff. Honestly, one of the heaviest riffs they ever wrote was The Mirror. Simple riff with the drums laying a groove around it. They think that writing some riff that changes time sig's every other bar is going to come across as heavy. It just doesn't work. They just meander around, aimlessly.

Hell, Jame's new release is way better and heavier than anything that DT has produced in the last 10 years. Just come up with a riff in 4/4, and run some 16th's on the kick's. It isn't rocket science, but they try to reinvent the wheel every time and fail.

Word. They're like the Borg with less soul.

• Members
In other news, maybe Portnoy will do more stuff with OSI (Kevin Moore, Jim Matheos) now?
:thu:

I'd {censored}ing hope not.

But I also doubt it. From what I've heard, Portnoy didn't particularly like it the first time around because of all the electronic percussion. i.e. "Waaaaahhh give me my spotlight back!" The 2nd time around he did even less. Not much "wank" drumming at all on Free, but there was a lot more electronic percussion. :lol:

So apparently after that he said he's not doing any more OSI. :love::lol:

• Members

+1, Portnoy was trying to turn DT into a heavy metal band, and it simply isn't working with that singer's voice. His singing was much better on Score, compared to Budokan. DT needs to go back to being progressive. A Change of Seasons was my favorite. And the title track on Octavarium.

I endorse these thoughts here. :thu:

• Members

Soilwork?! Really?!
:freak:
Why the hell would Dream Theater want to turn into just another br00tz band?! Trust me, that ain't
even
about to happen!

We've got more than enough screamers 'n' grunters out there, thank you very much, and Dream Theater as a br00tz band would go over like a {censored}ing fart in church. I
would
like to hear them get a better SINGER, though, only I'm thinking more the Ray Alder/Russell Allen variety.

Bjorn actually sings...Ray's voice is shot, the guy from Slavior is kinda meh....honestly I am not into that kind of vocal anymore.

• Members

i respect all of their talents and abilities but they seem like the most rock starish uptight bunch of jerks in every interview especially Portnoy. I have never been a fan of their music and Labrie's vocals are probably some of the most uninspired rehashed drivel in music.

+1

Portnoy has more than enough money to never have to play drums or work again. Most people don't get that and he should take a break from touring and music to take advantage of his past work. There is no reason for him to complain about not touring or not being in a "big" band. Other than him satisfying his ego.

If he still has a true interest in music then he can easily make his own new band with studio musicians, and pursue his own musical ideas to the fullest.

• Members

+1

Portnoy has more than enough money to never have to play drums or work again. Most people don't get that and he should take a break from touring and music to take advantage of his past work. There is no reason for him to complain about not touring or not being in a "big" band. Other than him satisfying his ego.

If he still has a true interest in music then he can easily make his own new band with studio musicians, and pursue his own musical ideas to the fullest.

Thats what I would be doing if I was him. It makes sense for someone that seems to be a control freak like he is.

• Members

Bjorn actually sings...Ray's voice is shot, the guy from Slavior is kinda meh....honestly I am not into that kind of vocal anymore.

Ray still sounds miles better than LaBrie. Sorry, but screaming & DT just doesn't work together. If anything, I'd MUCH rather hear them return more to the Kevin Moore days, when they didn't suck. :o

• Members

I am embarrassed for Portnoy.

this is all.

I was a HUGE DT fan from 2000 until about 2006 and I like to listen to them occasionally, but this whole thing was a fiasco. I really like MP, or, rather, I like how he usually portrays himself, but this change can be what DT needs to come out of their rut.

• Members
Ray still sounds miles better than LaBrie. Sorry, but screaming & DT just doesn't work together. If anything, I'd MUCH rather hear them return more to the Kevin Moore days, when they didn't suck.
:o

I think that is universal...Images, Awake, and ACOS...that abortion of a first record is as bad as anything they have done. Infinity put me off, but TII was really good...then I was completely done when they put that Turd out next. I don't even know the name, a double disc. You don't open a record up with horns and John Philip Soussa {censored}.

• Members

what type of music do you like, and who are your favorite guitar players?

Hair, black, thrash, death, metalcore, deathcore, NWOBHM, 80s synthpop, 80s one hit wonders, dubstep, j-pop, j-rock, classical [ie, Beethoven, Mozart], a ton of stuff really. My favorite guitar players are probably [off the top of my head and without much thought]: Vinnie Vincent, Marty Friedman, James Hetfield [when he had a good right hand], Dave Mustaine, Paul Stanley [i like his rhythm playing], Galder [OMC is pretty awesome], Nergal, Abbath was pretty good on Winter and Black, Ihsahn, and East Bay Ray [pretty cool for a punk guitarist].

Archived