OT: Portnoy tries to come crawling back to DT

madrigal77

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

concert, the main difference is that fans at the former will (at age 40) likely be making $50,000/year more when than fans of the latter.

More simply: Hearing some of you bash Dream Theater fans is like hearing Dungeons and Dragons players make fun of World of Warcraft players.

Yes, this.

• Members

Three things make me cringe lately on DT albums:

1. Portnoy doing lead vocals (or any vocals other than harmonies)

2. Portnoy's lyrics

3. Petrucci's lyrics.

Hmmm...

Petrucci's lyrics recently haven't been my thing. I like all the stuff he wrote up to (and including) Octavarium. I'm just not into the fantasy themed stuff.

Portnoy's lyrics I like, the AA suite particularly. Would I have written 'The Best of Times' like that? Probably not but it is heartfelt and meaningful, at least.

Portnoy doing lead vocals? Some of it I quite like. Not so good live. The odd little bit here and there is very effective: The opening of 'Repentance' that he sings I like.

• Members

dream theatre remind me of chewing gum,not to bad when u pop a fresh piece into chew but after the short taste sensations gone its all momentum.

labrie why does he sing just a bit better on his solo records than with dream theatre?

Because he is allowed to write the melody and lyrics on his own stuff. It is a lot easier to compose something that you can actually do, then to try and do something that someone thinks you can do.

• Members
Wikipedia has them at just 2.1 million sold in the US since 1989, and 10 million worldwide over the same time period.

A good chunk of that is from Images and Words which was over 15 years ago.

I doubt these guys have made any real money selling albums over the past 12 or more years.

Endoresements, Live shows, clinics and Merchandise I'm sure it thier main income, which probably is not huge amounts.

I think Potrnoy just saw his steady paycheck suddenly dry up when AX7 told him they no longer needed him, and is in a panic to get his old Job back.

RickJamesCocaine.jpg

18. How much was your biggest music related check for, and what did you do with it?

Actually all DT's money goes into a big melting pot which maintains our weekly salaries, so all my big checks and chunks come from outside side-projects or drum clinic/instructional related activities.. The last big check I got was around $30,000.00. I built a deck onto my backyard, put some of it away for my kids and went out and bought a {censored}load of DVD's and cocaine!

http://www.metalsludge.tv/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=202&Itemid=52

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Because he is allowed to write the melody and lyrics on his own stuff. It is a lot easier to compose something that you can actually do, then to try and do something that someone thinks you can do.

This. I'm pretty sure just about every lyric and melody is/was written by either Petrucci or Portnoy with exception to some of the earlier stuff where Moore/Myung contributed.

• Members

I haven't read much into this, but it's seems like MP got the huge dose of stardom and adulation he craved playing with ax7.

Seems pretty vain, and douchey when you consider DT is a very successfull band. It's not like he had to work a straight job for the past 20 years...

I hope JP writes some killer inspired material with MM.

• Members

I haven't read much into this, but it's seems like MP got the huge dose of stardom and adulation he craved playing with ax7.

Seems pretty vain, and douchey when you consider DT is a very successfull band. It's not like he had to work a straight job for the past 20 years...

I hope JP writes some killer inspired material with MM.

True, he did some excellent work on "Nightmare" IMO. It sucks that he was dismissed already, b/c I was looking forward to seeing him w/ A7X but oh well. I'm sure he got a nice paycheck however. And I don't disagree with JP and the rest of DT for not letting him back in. It'd have been one thing the do the record; I'm sure they didn't care about that. Or {censored} even just ask for time off from DT to tour 2010. But to up and walk was a pretty ballsy move that ultimately shat in his face.

• Moderators
So funny. Portnoy got one sniff of that teenage {censored} he could be hitting with AX7 and dropped nerd theater like a bad habit. LOL, now AX7 is like hay creepy old dude you scaring away all the teenage {censored} beat it. LOL

Now the guy is gonna go drum for jonas brothers.

WAT!?!? Now I'M FIRED!?!? WTF!??!

:p

• Members

I dont even see Dream Theater as this overly technical, self pleasing, pompous musical act,....Theyre just boring and uninspir
ing
as {censored}.

Fixed. Whilst I feel sorry for anyone that actually thinks that they can tell, 'Uninspired' musicians don't produce a band chemistry that lasts years and a sound and style that are unmistakably their own. It's your prerogative to dislike them, just as it is mine to dislike plenty of bands that a lot of other people like (Metallica, for example), but they are undeniably a great band.

Archived