OT: Portnoy tries to come crawling back to DT

madrigal77

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not going to bag on you, pretty wide musical interests, that's cool.

I will say that I was a huge DT fan, back before all the nerdy neckbeard, virgins found out who they were, but now the {censored} they write is so {censored}ing lame, I won't spend my money on it. I think the funniest thing about DT's fans is they stick around with this hope that someday they'll do another Awake/Images and Words, but they don't let their money drive that hope.

I can definitely see why people hate on the genre and DT specifically, it is overly indulgent:idk: and the general fan base is :rolleyes::facepalm:, but there were some good songs in there amongst the muck.

• Members

I don't understand all the bashing on DT fans as nerds. Most of you guys like death metal--or at least some form of metal--around here. Have you been to a death metal concert at some point in your lives? Fans at metal concerts don't strike me as particularly cool or hip, even if many of them aren't nerds. If you compare fans at a DT concert to fans at a [insert your favorite metal band other than DT here] concert, the main difference is that fans at the former will (at age 40) likely be making $50,000/year more when than fans of the latter.

More simply: Hearing some of you bash Dream Theater fans is like hearing Dungeons and Dragons players make fun of World of Warcraft players.

• Members
concert, the main difference is that fans at the former will (at age 40) likely be making $50,000/year more when than fans of the latter.

More simply: Hearing some of you bash Dream Theater fans is like hearing Dungeons and Dragons players make fun of World of Warcraft players.

Mad geezer is getting madder. :mad:

• Members

Not a bad assumption, but I assure you my blood pressure didn't rise at all. Partly that's because I consider myself superior to everyone else and so don't take their opinions seriously.

Out of curiosity: how old do you think I am, and how old are you?

I'm just messing around anyways and trying to get a rise out of you.

30-45. I'm 23.

• Members

concert, the main difference is that fans at the former will (at age 40) likely be making $50,000/year more when than fans of the latter.

For some reason a lot (not all, but certainly a lot) of the death metal fans seem to be obsessed with forests. Don't know why. :idk: Seems as though every death metal band out there has at least one song named something like "Suffocation in the Black Forest" or some {censored}. :idk:

(in before someone makes a generalization on DT fans)

• Members
For some reason a lot (not all, but certainly a lot) of the death metal fans seem to be obsessed with forests. Don't know why.
:idk:
Seems as though every death metal band out there has at least one song named something like "Suffocation in the Black Forest" or some {censored}.
:idk:

I notice this moreso in black metal, but then again I only listen to a selective few death metal bands.

(in before someone makes a generalization on DT fans)

Wasn't a generalization already made before this post? :confused:

• Members

I notice this moreso in black metal, but then again I only listen to a selective few death metal bands.

Perhaps I got my "metals" mixed up. I don't listen to metal much these days.

Wasn't a generalization already made before this post?
:confused:

I said that just in case some metal head was going to be offended and try to make another generalization in response to mine. :lol:

• Members

You know what my problem with the typical DT fan (Petrucci fanbois esp.)is ? They put the band on this pedestal and then, they'll turn around and critique the {censored} out of them if they don't play the songs note for note, or if someone has an off night, it's {censored}ing ridiculous. Obviously, James struggles with his vocals, that's a given, but to give them credit where it is due, the songs they play live are {censored}ing hardcore even if you don't like the genre you have to give it up to them when you realize the changes they have to remember and they change up their set list a lot.

And, for the record the last time I saw DT live (Train of Thought), the line getting into that show was the biggest group of scrawny, goof ball nerds I've ever seen at one time. I think I may have seen 3 females and they were :freak:.

• Members

Screw WoW! If I ain't got weird looking dice in my hand it ain't an RPG! :cop:

Oh, and the part I didn't quote, probably an over generalization, but I'd say more right than not.

As for DT, I don't really care. I respect their technical ability a ton, but I've never gotten into their stuff that much. I should give some of it another listen, but so far hasn't really been my thing.

This thread has some funny stuff in it though.

• Members
I'm not going to bag on you, pretty wide musical interests, that's cool.

I will say that I was a huge DT fan, back before all the nerdy neckbeard, virgins found out who they were, but now the {censored} they write is so {censored}ing lame, I won't spend my money on it. I think the funniest thing about DT's fans is they stick around with this hope that someday they'll do another Awake/Images and Words, but they don't let their money drive that hope.

I can definitely see why people hate on the genre and DT specifically, it is overly indulgent:idk: and the general fan base is
:rolleyes::facepalm:
, but there were some good songs in there amongst the muck.

I'm a big DT fan and I don't really like Awake or I&W at all. Honestly I don't get what the big fuss about those albums is. I'd take Systematic Chaos, Metropolis Pt.2, or Train of thought over them any day.

One thing I'm hoping will change with Portnoy gone is it seems in every single song, there is at least one part that makes you cringe and ask "WTF were they thinking?!?!?". I dunno if that was because of Portnoy, but I always blamed him :lol:.

• Members

One thing I'm hoping will change with Portnoy gone is it seems in every single song, there is at least one part that makes you cringe and ask "WTF were they thinking?!?!?". I dunno if that was because of Portnoy, but I always blamed him
:lol:

Three things make me cringe lately on DT albums:

1. Portnoy doing lead vocals (or any vocals other than harmonies)

2. Portnoy's lyrics

3. Petrucci's lyrics.

• Members

Three things make me cringe lately on DT albums:

1. Portnoy doing lead vocals (or any vocals other than harmonies)

2. Portnoy's lyrics

3. Petrucci's lyrics.

To add to that:

4. Portnoy's bass drum sound

5. Portnoy mixing himself on top of the song

• Members

Doubt it.

Obviously, he's not broke or poor, but I doubt that he is a multi-millionaire. DT is not that big of a band.

Wikipedia has them at just 2.1 million sold in the US since 1989, and 10 million worldwide over the same time period.

A good chunk of that is from Images and Words which was over 15 years ago.

I doubt these guys have made any real money selling albums over the past 12 or more years.

Endoresements, Live shows, clinics and Merchandise I'm sure it thier main income, which probably is not huge amounts.

I think Potrnoy just saw his steady paycheck suddenly dry up when AX7 told him they no longer needed him, and is in a panic to get his old Job back.

Archived