Overrated Amps

les_paul

• Members

Full disclosure, I really only do 3 tones. I don't even use a clean tone. I basically do a Pennywise tone, a Ramones tone, and a Cro-Mags tone, and that's it. What I was really talking about in comparing the Ultra and Mark IV was the Pennywise tone(the Cro-mags and Ramones tones are Marshall tones), I can dial in my perfect version of a 90s punk tone with the Mark IV, then I can cop that tone almost perfectly with the Ultra.

TIS what I meant

See in that case the ultra is actually quite underrated. I loved mine for the longest time but it just can't hold a candle to my Rivera

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Welcome to another edition of Thread Fail(tm)!

So...about the same as every other thread? Judging from most of you responses anyway.

It's kinda fun...like watching Soup or Tosh. Not gonna learn much...but fun nonetheless.

No....actually we could learn something. An amp is worth what you think it's worth...regardless of what anyone else thinks?

• Members

which of course means you gave them all a solid assessment.
:rolleyes:

It *almost* never ceases to amaze me...H-CAF "gettin one in" on TGP. The obsession and jealousy...wow.

Partially, but it could also be the hilarity of psychoacoustics over there. I take it you don't know about the Alpha Drive meltdown?

• Members

Orange are overrated

Blackstar are overpriced and overrated

Bogner Ecstasy is overrated and overpriced

Marshall JVM is overrated

Most amps are overpriced

5150 and it's variants are overrated.

These are the only things I can think of off the top of my head that seem blatantly one or the other or both.

There are many more amps I don't like, but I don't necessarily think they are overpriced or overrated........

Blackstar... I remember hearing them at NAMM the first time years ago and thought they were totally meh.

Bogner Ecstasy... I told you not to get a 101b based on your tastes/style and you didn't listen :cop: XTC Classic ftmfw, noobs. I agree the 101b is overrated though.

Marshall JVM... it sounds a little meh at low volumes and can be noisy at higher gain, but it's not a bad amp IMO. Used a 210h as backline at HOB recently and it was pretty killer cranked up loud.

5150.. definitely not my style of amp but if you want that modern metal sound it does it really well and some other other tones too really.

I will add a few of my own.

Rivera K-tre, nice cleans, gain is just kind of harsh to me. Maybe if I spent more time with it (a friend has one) I'd like it better but overall, meh. Honestly I could probably say the same of most Riveras.

Engl: played the powerball and screamer, not for me.

Most Mesas: Not for me. They definitely have their place and some great tones have been recorded with them but in general I'm not looking forward to the tones when I see a Mesa on stage.

• Members

Gotta go brush up your playing of Mustang Sally and Politician?

To be honest? I'm trying to learn the lick for "8 Second Ride" on my old USA Harmony hollow body 335 and red Guitar Research amp. :) Grand total of $300 and nothing boutique about it. I did find the lick challenging enough at top speed.

I see nobody (namely esphil) has said they've actually tried the amps they are bashing. So go ahead an attempt your insults. It doesn't change the fact that people are bashing amps they've never tried. But I suppose it's not the actual amps that are being bashed, huh? It's real easy to look through the window and bash the psychosis seen...but much harder to look in the mirror and do the same.

• Members

Partially, but it could also be the hilarity of psychoacoustics over there. I take it you don't know about the Alpha Drive meltdown?

I don't. Despite Frostbyte's attempted insult...I'm not an active member there. Just occasional. I see as much silliness here as there, just a different breed. It's all good...imo. All good fun.

• Members

I can't really think of any overrated amps, but I can think of some that seem overpriced to me.

2 grand is about the limit where I see diminishing returns. I just can't see how an amp that costs 4 grand is going to be that much better (or any better) than one that costs 2 grand.

• Members
you guys are crazy.. Yamaha's cost as low as $400 used and they're essentially SLOs with inferior trannies. How in the name of the holy {censored} are they overpriced???
:freak:
Simple mods get them EASILY on par with lower level Soldanos!

I did not say they were overpriced. I have had two Prosonics and a T-100 head, both of which I picked up because of hype/great prices. Needless to say, I was not impressed. Therefore, to me, overrated.

• Members

I can't really think of any overrated amps, but I can think of some that seem overpriced to me.

2 grand is about the limit where I see diminishing returns. I just can't see how an amp that costs 4 grand is going to be that much better (or any better) than one that costs 2 grand.

Exactly. It's all about your price point and usage. I'd be reluctant to take anything (guitar or amp) out there that costs more than a grand/1500. And I'd be reluctant to even purchase something more than that simply because I can't afford it. Which is likely the biggest reason for bagging on TGP...from what I can see.

I'm not necessarily in search of the holy grail. I'm looking for something that plays and sounds good to me....and something that is usable and conveniently functional at the gigs.

• Members

I still don't understand how it is the manufacturer's fault that their amps in other countries are priced higher due to import laws. You're blaming Mesa for something that's beyond their control.

New Mark V costs $2k in the US, which is an ok price for a multichannel feature packed spaceship built in US that sounds............

Just saying.

Of course it's somewhat beyond their control. I never said it wasn't. I dont think I said it was Mesa's fault either.

The price for a Mark V in the US is FAIR I think.

I'm not buying from the US. I'm buying from the UK.

So you have to add approx $3,000 on to the price for the privilege.

In the UK, it's overpriced. Especially considering the US price.

I live in the UK. I judge on the UK retail price. What's not to get??

I don't work in $USD, so why would I judge the inherent value or worth in a product on anything other than

• Members
you guys are crazy.. Yamaha's cost as low as $400 used and they're essentially SLOs with inferior trannies. How in the name of the holy {censored} are they overpriced???
:freak:
Simple mods get them EASILY on par with lower level Soldanos!

Farrid we are talking overrated not overpriced.back to the vh4..

I have been inside the amp and the build quality looks fantastic but I have played amps half its asking price that sound better imo with no fizz.....

• Members

[/size]

OK, ok, we get it! You like Peaveys. I hate them. Every single one of them is overrated AND overpriced since I don't like the way they sound AND I wouldn't pay a $1 for them.

Wouldn't pay $1 for them? I'm not even a Peavey fan but that's just crazy forum talk.

Archived