Overrated Amps

les_paul

• Members

Throwing Splawn into the circle as overrated. Often described as "how an old Marshall is supposed to sound." No, an old Marshall is supposed to sound like a Marshall
:facepalm:

I agree. The Splawn is cool. I will never sell that amp. But the "how a Marshall is supposed to sound comment" always made me scratch my head. It would be more accurate IMO to say "how a 5150 is supposed to sound" because that's what it sounds like to me, a perfected 5150. My 3 gear 4 preamp tube Quickrod is wayyyyyyyyy closer in sound and tone to a 5150, but without the fizz and way clearer and girthier, than a to a Marshall.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's a modern, EL34 50 watt dual channel amp. For the grittiness of the Orange, maybe a Stiletto instead. Then you don't have money for an attenuator, though.

oh, the fail. you played a TV50 i take it? :) or a RV50/100 and are just generalizing? :lol: or, as is most often the case. "i played a tiny terror. i know orange" :cop:

i havent heard one, ONE person who tried a TV50 and was like "meh, i like my JCA" love it or hate it, they all remarked that it certianly has its own thing going on.

also bass sounds pretty sweet, and the ETR trannies handle the crazy low end parts of effects like the FM4 and such very well. fits me perfect. i payed $3400 for a head and a cab. it was a lot. but it was worth it.

but to actually contribute, lets see...

i acutally found the orange tiny terror a bit overrated :idk:

• Members

OK, ok, we get it! You like Peaveys. I hate them. Every single one of them is overrated AND overpriced since I don't like the way they sound AND I wouldn't pay a $1 for them.

Hay that's just my opinion. I do I love Peaveys (except the 5150/6505), to each their own. I love a lot of amps though, not just Peaveys, I also love Marshalls, Mesas, and Splawns.

IMG_1430-1-1.jpg

I just think Peaveys are criminally under rated.

• Members

Okay, about this whole overpriced thing...

$1000-$2000 is a good and fair price for a well made amplifier made in America. European amps have to be looked at differently price wise as American amps can cost them quite a bit more over there too.

The amps that in the USA are practically simple single channel or dual channel amps that cost $3000-$5000 dollars...Those are the ones that are generally overpriced. Overpriced doesn't always mean overrated, even though many times they go hand in hand.

Diezel amps sound good, but for a while there was crazy hype about them. Those amps became overrated IMO. Overrated isn't going to be the same for everyone either. Some people have different tastes and think its justified. But they were getting a ton of attention.

• Members

oh, the fail. you played a TV50 i take it?
:)
or a RV50/100 and are just generalizing?
:lol:
or, as is most often the case. "i played a tiny terror. i know orange"
:cop:

i havent heard one, ONE person who tried a TV50 and was like "meh, i like my JCA" love it or hate it, they all remarked that it certianly has its own thing going on.

also bass sounds pretty sweet, and the ETR trannies handle the crazy low end parts of effects like the FM4 and such very well. fits me perfect. i payed $3400 for a head and a cab. it was a lot. but it was worth it.

but to actually contribute, lets see...

i acutally found the orange tiny terror a bit overrated
:idk:

For Orange I have played a Rockerverb 50 and 100, a Rocker 30, Thunderverb 200, and TH30. They all sounded like one trick ponies to me. If I wanted a one trick British amp I'd pick up a 2203.

• Members

For Orange I have played a Rockerverb 50 and 100, a Rocker 30, Thunderverb 200, and TH30. They all sounded like one trick ponies to me. If I wanted a one trick British amp I'd pick up a 2203.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, a JCM800 is FAR from a one trick pony...

• Members

Hay that's just my opinion. I do I love Peaveys (except the 5150/6505), to each their own. I love a lot of amps though, not just Peaveys, I also love Marshalls, Mesas, and Splawns.

I just think Peaveys are criminally under rated.

Well, TBH, my comments included a bunch of hyperbole. I don't like Peaveys but I would NEVER really claim they were overpriced. Peavey has always had great pricing. I just don't like the way they sound.

• Members

fair. i wouldnt call the RV's one trick, maybe the TV200 and the TH30 (i still wouldnt, but i could see it). the TV50, while also called a thunderverb, is VASTLY different though. goes to the tube-type and tranny argument. the circuits are identical.

also noticed the AD30 and OR50 werent mentioned.

this comment not meant for les, just in general:

i love this thread already. "and there will be much butthurt!" because there will :)

• Members

Oh, the butthurt is raining down.

If the Mark IV had completely independent controls for RHY1 and RHY2 I would still own one. I catch a lot of crap for not liking the Jet City amps and Egnaters, too.

Again, everyone is different and that's what makes threads like this interesting.

• Members

Orange are overrated

Blackstar are overpriced and overrated

Bogner Ecstasy is overrated and overpriced

Marshall JVM is overrated

Most amps are overpriced

5150 and it's variants are overrated.

These are the only things I can think of off the top of my head that seem blatantly one or the other or both.

There are many more amps I don't like, but I don't necessarily think they are overpriced or overrated........

It would have been shorter to type the opposing list of amps you think are underrated....

• Members

Oh, the butthurt is raining down.

If the Mark IV had completely independent controls for RHY1 and RHY2 I would still own one. I catch a lot of crap for not liking the Jet City amps and Egnaters, too.

Again, everyone is different and that's what makes threads like this interesting.

why amps ever used shared controls i will never know.

have you EVER heard someone go "oh, thank god my EQ is shared by both channels! it's so convenient! my tone stays the same all the time at all volumes and gian levels!"?

Mrak is pretty sweet. and so is your bandana. the butt healing begins....

• Members

TITAN
:o

Honestly I'd agree with that..as well as with Jet City, Diezel, Engl, Marshall JVM, and Fortin..all of which to me don't sound all that great..if not just downright bad and I think the high price tag helps with the illusion that it's "the best amp ever"..except for JC..just cheap and horrible sounding

• Members

, The Mark IV is my favorite amp I've ever played, but really that thing wasn't worth $1200 when I can cop pretty much the same tones with a Peavey Ultra I paid $150 for just saying.

dude I own an ultra and the mesa is a far more versatile amp, you can get very similar tones out of the mesa to the peavey, but the mesa also does so much more than the ultra tone. Now if all you want is the ultra tone then more power to you, it was the only tone I wanted for years until I found something much better.

Archived