Overrated Amps

les_paul

• Members

urgh WAT
:freak:

u are aware that dave green - the only competent engineer that worked for Matamp after Mat's death left the company for Ashdown ages ago, aren't you?

Jeff at Matamp is one of the most knowledgeable and straight up guys i've ever spoken to in the industry, the guy can talk for hours about stuff he's worked on. The new gt40 totally {censored}s on anything that orange have made for the last 20 years.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bogner Uberschall (all versions). I've owned 4 of them and they all sucked.

Funny. The GC near me has one, so I went to try it the other day. I could only play at moderate volume, and could only get lousy tones. I assumed it was user error and the lack of volume. I went back a while later, tried some settings I'd found online that people claimed were good, and played with more volume. Still sounded bad. Maybe the amp really isn't that great. At any rate, I couldn't see getting one over a 6505.

• Members

Jeff at Matamp is one of the most knowledgeable and straight up guys i've ever spoken to in the industry, the guy can talk for hours about stuff he's worked on. The new gt40 totally {censored}s on anything that orange have made for the last 20 years.

I will refrain from my comments about Mr. Lewis. I've spoken to him a lot as well.

I will, however note, that you're comparing a handbuilt custom product to something that's massed produced. Which is absolutely pointless.

• Members

I will refrain from my comments about Mr. Lewis. I've spoken to him a lot as well.

I will, however note, that you're comparing a handbuilt custom product to something that's massed produced. Which is absolutely pointless.

Not when they are at the same price point.

• Members

I bought my old knucklehead for 650 bucks. And it was worth every penny of that $650.
:idk:

You bought it brand new for 650.00?

If they're only 650 then I take back my statement

I paid roughly 2500.00 for my Knucklehead KR100 and felt that it was way overpriced, though on the used market I've seen them for 800-1000 which seems like a much better fitting price for it....

• Members

dude I own an ultra and the mesa is a far more versatile amp, you can get very similar tones out of the mesa to the peavey, but the mesa also does so much more than the ultra tone. Now if all you want is the ultra tone then more power to you, it was the only tone I wanted for years until I found something much better.

Full disclosure, I really only do 3 tones. I don't even use a clean tone. I basically do a Pennywise tone, a Ramones tone, and a Cro-Mags tone, and that's it. What I was really talking about in comparing the Ultra and Mark IV was the Pennywise tone(the Cro-mags and Ramones tones are Marshall tones), I can dial in my perfect version of a 90s punk tone with the Mark IV, then I can cop that tone almost perfectly with the Ultra.

TIS what I meant

• Members

Full disclosure, I really only do 3 tones. I don't even use a clean tone. I basically do a Pennywise tone, a Ramones tone, and a Cro-Mags tone, and that's it. What I was really talking about in comparing the Ultra and Mark IV was the Pennywise tone(the Cro-mags and Ramones tones are Marshall tones), I can dial in my perfect version of a 90s punk tone with the Mark IV, then I can cop that tone almost perfectly with the Ultra.

TIS what I meant

Thats cool, i was just pointing out that the mark iv can also do tons more tones and is much more flexible.

• Members

Anything Orange, played many - liked 0

Mark IV and V, like the leads but I don't meedle 100% of the time. Did not like any rhythm tone I dialed in.

Diezel. Only tried a Herbert but I couldn't stand it. Not worth 1/4 of the price to me.

...and all those TGP amps :lol:

• Members

Bad Cats. totally don't get it short of great build quality.

oranges. don't get what anybody'd want out of those things-- but i haven't played 'em all. murk city.

I haven't heard that many bad cats, but the Hot Cat 100 (slightly modded by Egnater) we bought earlier this year is definitely on our "Top 5 Amps Acquired in 2011" list. Very unique sound with awesome quality.

The Oranges.. yeah, abusing the legacy.

• Members

Only company here that wasn't thrown a ton of {censored} at is randall...

I'd say the JCM 800. Nerine might disagree but it is ok. Yeah it is an amp that one can play cleans, crunch rock etc, then boost it for metal add effects if it has a loop etc but for me it is a one type of sound and that is it.

All of this sounds are indeed variations of the same frequency gather up that makes the marshall sound for me, it is overplayed to death...it may even be a dynamic playing amp, touch sensitivity? Whatever when anybody plays through it it is the same stuff for me. Boring!

• Members

Disagree with this one too. I don't think it's fair to judge an amp outside its country of manufacture. Mesa has insane prices in some countries due to shipping and import taxes, but so does every single manufacturer. Check on peavey prices in Australia, for example.

The Mark V is a very solid amp. It has tons of features, most of the sounds you get out of it are actually fairly decent. They go for about $1.8k used in US. Add 300 bucks of shipping to UK and the price doesn't seem so unreal. Especially when we're talking about an amp with 3 channels, each with 3 voicings, graphic EQ, switchable power and tons of other {censored}.

Of course it's fair to judge outside of their country of manufacture. That's silly to say otherwise IMO.

It's overpriced.

Especially for "fairly decent" sounds, as you put it.

I completely disliked it. It also costs around

• Members

Only company here that wasn't thrown a ton of {censored} at is randall...

I'd say the JCM 800. Nerine might disagree but it is ok. Yeah it is an amp that one can play cleans, crunch rock etc, then boost it for metal add effects if it has a loop etc but for me it is a one type of sound and that is it.

All of this sounds are indeed variations of the same frequency gather up that makes the marshall sound for me, it is overplayed to death...it may even be a dynamic playing amp, touch sensitivity? Whatever when anybody plays through it it is the same stuff for me. Boring!

I can think of many more boring done to death tones that come from amps that have been around far less time than the venerable 800.

• Members

Not when they are at the same price point.

Sorry, didn't notice your post.

True. However, modern day Orange amps can't be really compared to Matamps tone wise, come to think of it, nothing else can be. They're different. I haven't seen or heard the newer GT40 series, but the build quality of most other matamps I've seen (around 30-40 maybe?) was not perfect. Mostly in nuances though, but nevertheless, it was a bit disappointing. However, it does make them priced fairly.

I don't like modern era Oranges anyway, fyi.

Archived