Cameron amps. What's the dealio?

Shine

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh hai!!! Just thought I'd add my $.02 as a CCV owner. IMO, due to the fact Brad owns the tainted Cameron name, I feel it could've been handled differently.
He should've guaranteed the "owed amps" guys their amps if he was gonna use the Cameron name. This would've fully redeemed the name. Simple and somewhat silly? You bet!! So are people and their emotions.
Or he should've changed the name and bought the designs/circuits and started with a clean slate. Brad is a good dude and a stand up guy, but I bet he would do it differently if he had it to do over.
I would've never kept the Cameron name from a business point of view. Whatever.

• Members

KIng Loudness and EDuiuema09820581 both sold theirs due to excessive shop time over reliability issues. I've read several others that had the same deal, but can't remember who they were.

Hmmm, that's not very encouraging.

• Members
All this would matter if the amps were actually really awesome. But they're not. Decent yes, but I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for one.

Cock rock tone in a box, now there's a new concept
:lol::rolleyes:

you mean hot rodded Marshall tones aren't new???

can I make my plexi sound like Steve Stevens?? that {censored} is revolutionary!

• Members

Sounds to me legally Brad doesn't owe anyone a goddamn thing. Sucks to be those who payed for an amp and got scammed by Mark. The fact that Brad is still honoring part of the agreement while making them pay the balance on the new price is still doing more than he is legally required.

As Tone Monster mentioned I think keeping the name was a bad call. License the schematics and give Mark his cut but use a different name.

Now if Psycodave is right and they're (Metro) actually changing the circuit then continuing to use the name is even more disingenuous and that is pretty lame.

It sucks Mark turned out to be such a dickbag, cause his amps sound great IMO.

• Members
Sounds to me legally Brad doesn't owe anyone a goddamn thing. Sucks to be those who payed for an amp and got scammed by Mark. The fact that Brad is still honoring part of the agreement while making them pay the balance on the new price is still doing more than he is legally required.

As Tone Monster mentioned I think keeping the name was a bad call. License the schematics and give Mark his cut but use a different name.

Now if Psycodave is right and they're (Metro) actually changing the circuit then continuing to use the name is even more disingenuous and that is pretty lame.

:thu:

The current situation is the ONLY POSSIBLE WAY that the people that got screwed by MC would even have a chance of getting their amp. I believe 2 have already got theirs.

• Members
:thu:

The current situation is the ONLY POSSIBLE WAY that the people that got screwed by MC would even have a chance of getting their amp. I believe 2 have already got theirs.

I don't quite agree with that. If Brad was truely committed to the people that got scammed they would get their amps at dealer cost when there was money in a fund set aside from Marks share to cover the cost of manufacturing an amp.

If you take on a business/name with bad debts, you need to clear the bad debts first before moving forward. That needs to be your priority and factored in as part of the business expense. Otherwise you get a cluster {censored} as we have seen here.

• Members

My impression of that thread was that they were keeping the components the same, but Mark had designed the board for the components to be under it rather than on top like most amps. The redesign is flipping the components onto the top of the board so it can be maintained and produced more economically, but supposidly wouldn't alter the sound. I think people on both sides are obscuring the facts a bit.

I don't quite agree with that. If Brad was truely committed to the people that got scammed they would get their amps at dealer cost when there was money in a fund set aside from Marks share to cover the cost of manufacturing an amp.

If you take on a business/name with bad debts, you need to clear the bad debts first before moving forward. That needs to be your priority and factored in as part of the business expense. Otherwise you get a cluster {censored} as we have seen here.

Nailed it.

• Members

lets look at the math for a bit

cost to build=$1800 (estimated, but probably pretty accurate)

sale price=$3600

profit per amp=$1800

1800 x 25= $45000

$45K profit.

10 amps at cost would be $18K. if 10 people paid the $1K upcharge, that's $8K. i'm sure MC's cut is enough to get those 10 amps out, but only two have made it so far.

something's stinky.

• Members

My impression of that thread was that they were keeping the components the same, but Mark had designed the board for the components to be under it rather than on top like most amps. The redesign is flipping the components onto the top of the board so it can be maintained and produced more economically, but supposidly wouldn't alter the sound. I think people on both sides are obscuring the facts a bit.

Yep, especially in a extremely small niche industry like boutique amps.

• Members

sale price=$3600

profit per amp=$1800

1800 x 25= $45000

$45K profit.

10 amps at cost would be $18K. if 10 people paid the $1K upcharge, that's $8K.
i'm sure MC's cut is enough
to get those 10 amps out, but only two have made it so far.

something's stinky.

Mark's cut is frozen pizzas and mt.dew.

What's the current exchange rate?

• Members
Yeah, a great guy... he brough a good friend down from Canada, helped cover his expenses and was going to share a loft in CA. I wonder how that deal ended up...

I hear that Mark is still stuck in customs at the border, might be there for a couple of months before he is released. :wave:

• Members

sale price=$3600

profit per amp=$1800

1800 x 25= $45000

$45K profit.

10 amps at cost would be $18K. if 10 people paid the $1K upcharge, that's $8K. i'm sure MC's cut is enough to get those 10 amps out, but only two have made it so far.

something's stinky.

There was some crazy thread on RT by one of the "owed" people and someone tried saying that the first 25 CCV amps didnt generate any profit. lol. I agree with your math although there were probably some design fees, but couldnt have cost that much. I wonder where Mark's share is going now that he is out of the picture?

• Members

he wanted to use the name, because he knew it was the only way to sell the amps.

He's not providing anyone with amps. he's just holding the cut Mark was supposed to get until there are enough funds to cover the build. Except, now he's wanting them to pony up another $1k to cover his profit margin. essentially he got a free list of leads to sell 12 more amps.

he wanted to sell Cameron amps, not deal with any of the negative things, yet reap all the positive benefits of selling under "Cameron". he wanted to have his cake and eat it too.

• Members

I agree with this. I'm not going to assume I know all the little details of the situation (on either side).

• Members

sale price=$3600

profit per amp=$1800

1800 x 25= $45000

$45K profit.

something's stinky.

IMHO, Mark's "cut" should be the fact he managed to stay out of jail after running a $40k + scam.

The fact that he is still making any money on this after what he did to everyone he scammed (including 2 friends of mine) is preposterous.

And again, the amps are nothing special.

Archived