What kind of music do you play?

Amanda-Jane

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mostly country, blues and jazz of the 1920s and 30s. Jug band type music. I guess a lot of stuff you could call american folk musics.

I do play some Hawaiian stuff (I play a lot of uke and mess with lap/slide playing some.)

In blues I try to emulate (well, not really emulate but I guess you could say I'm most influenced by) players like Mississippi John Hurt, Blind Wille McTell and Charley Patton. A lot of fingerpicking stuff.

I like Ma Carter-style flatpicking also.

Lately I've been trying to learn my way around tenor guitar and banjo tuned CGDA. A new tuning for me so it's all new chord shapes, etc.

• Members

I'm one of the younger members here (20) and I play some stuff no one hear really listens to other than John Mayer.

I love playing Death Cab for Cutie's stuff. They're nothing like what you might think their name would make them. They play alot of rock/pop and it's fairly simple stuff with great/creative songwriting both instrumentally and lyrically.

Not the deepest stuff around I suppose, but fun, good hearted music that anyone in their 20s can fall in love with.

You've probably heard some of their songs on TV commercials.

http://www.myspace.com/deathcabforcutie

• Members

Steve Goodman...all kinds of playing styles and writing styles, with songs that will fill your heart and your future guitar playing with joy.

Start with...

It's a sin to tell a lie, Do you want to learn to dance, You better get it while you can, etc... then add his version of Michael Smiths, The Dutchman. No existing tabs out there, but if you want, I can throw a few.

• Members

i believe im the youngest member here :] (15)

but the music i play is

jason mraz's acoustic stuff such as his song The Remedy

( http://youtube.com/watch?v=MgFVzek03SU )

story of the year's acoustic stuff such as thier song sidewalks

(

)

and pretty much all younger acoustic stuff but i dapple into some older acoustic stuff quite a bit ...

• Members

I play music from a wide range of artists from the 1960's thru 2007 (yes, even Death Cab for Cutie - I will Follow You Into the Dark - I prefer to play it with a capo at the 5th fret ;) ). I even enjoy playing some country music.

For example, I enjoy playing The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Van Morrison, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews, Goo Goo Dolls, 3 Doors Down, Brad Paisley, Rascal Flatts, Coldplay, Barenaked Ladies, Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, John Mayer, Ray Lamontagne and many others.

My 11 year old daughter and my friend's teenage kids keep me up on current pop and alternative music. For example, I learned songs by people like the Frey, Lifehouse, Death Cab for Cutie, Stone Sour, Colbie Caillet, Hinder, Killers, Plain White T's, Keane and others to amuse the younger crowd at the bonfires. I may be a chubby, balding 38 year old, but the kids think I'm pretty cool. :wave:

• Members

(15)

but the music i play is

jason mraz's acoustic stuff such as his song The Remedy

(
)

story of the year's acoustic stuff such as thier song sidewalks

(
)

and pretty much all younger acoustic stuff but i dapple into some older acoustic stuff quite a bit ...

They play Jason Mraz all the time on the Coffee House channel on satelite radio. Good stuff. The guy is a great singer.

• Members

I play mostly classic rock stuff, but lately I have been trying to master the songs off of the Eric Clapton Unplugged cd. I am really into the blues right now, but I have been learning songs by Matchbox 20, Plain White T-s, etc... but the coolest cover i have been working on is Chris Cornell's cover of Billie Jean.

• Members

I'm 38 and have been playing in some manner since I was in grade school. I took lessons up until I graduated high school and just kept up with it as a hobby for the most part. Still, I think of it as being an integral part of who I am. Without music I'd probably have gone insane years ago.

For the past few years I've been focusing on fingerstyle-oriented music which falls under a wide variety of different musical genres such as acoustic blues, jazz, country, traditional, Celtic, etc. It doesn't matter to me what it is so long as there's a good melody that sticks in my mind. Some artists that I've tried to emulate include Tommy Emmanuel, Chet Atkins, Pete Huttlinger, Muriel Andersen, Lindsey Buckingham, Mark Knopfler, Earl Klugh, Martin Taylor, Simon Fox, Pierre Bensusan, Eric Clapton, etc.

Lately I've been getting back into strumming/singing with my dread. I'm drawn toward folk rock, country, etc. where the lyrics are the strong point of the song and not so much the musical difficulty. I like selections by Cat Stevens, Bill Deasy (a local Pittsburgh artist), Ray LaMontagne, Keith Urban, Garth Brooks, etc.

This past year I've also been active in my church's praise band and have been learning traditional and contemporary worship songs. In that function I'm just part of a group and I seek to fill a certain role. In this case I'm a electric rhythm player backing up several acoustic players. I try to just embellish what they're doing without stepping on their tows. The music director likes my voice though, so I've been called upon to sing lead/solo on a few selections. We've done songs by Casting Crowns, MercyMe, Chris Rice and Chris Tomlin.

Just recently I looked up an old friend and jamming buddy who I'd fallen out of touch with about ten years ago. It turns out he's playing jazz/funk and it's got me playing my electric a bit differently. I'm more drawn to the more sophisticated stuff and try to emulate George Benson, Earl Klugh, Larry Carlton, etc.

One thing that I'm almost ashamed to admit is that way back when I originally got my Strat/Hot Rod Deluxe combo I was in an electric blues phase that almost drowned out all my other influences. I tried hard to play like SRV, Hendrix, Clapton (80s-era), Billy Gibbons, Buddy Guy, B.B. King, Jeff Healey, Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, etc. and it ended up putting me in a real rut that resulted in me walking away from playing guitar for several years and listening to Creed. Blues has its place but IMO you can't live musically on that stuff without burning out.

So lately I've tried to wrap up all these influences somehow and make my own style. I've tried to write my own material but the result is a hodge-podge of different songs that could never mesh well under a single banner for a CD. At the very least I'd probably be able to do solo cover gigs, but apart from the praise band I have no experience playing as part of a band.

• Members

All types of music: classic rook, country, classical, alt. rock and originals.

It just depends on my mood or when I practice with my friends - what they are playing or trying to learn.

Tonight jaming with friends we played some: Eagles, Led-Ziplin, Bon Jovi, John Mayer, Tesla, Day of the New, just to name a few.

I have been practicing a lot of SRV & Hendrix stuff & this guy (Austin Native)Monte Montgomery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEu0Aa5cZW0

• Members

Cool topic AJ :)

I have been playing guitar and singing live since the late 70's. When I was a youngster in my teens I learned to play acoustic guitar from old Dylan and Jack Elliott/Woody Guthrie albums. In my early 20's I played in some punker style rock bands as I love The Clash and The Ramones but still always played my acoustic at parties or kitchen jam sessions. I have been a lead guitar player "for hire" and even played in a alternative country band for awhile. For the last 3-4 years I have been playing in an acoustic blues duo with a harmonica player doing old Sonny Boy Williamson, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, Elmore James and Robert Johnson covers. I do a lot of open tuned slide work. I play guitar a lot and I don't have a "favorite" song that I play often except whatever I am working on at the time. As a solo performer I play the usual stuff...Beatles, Stones, Dylan, John Denver, Paul Simon, Tim Hardin, The Monkees, Tom Petty and other light pop & country hits ( I know...but you gotta eat) As you can see I love all kinds of music. :)

I am now currently trying to teach myself classical guitar and standard music notation and I just learned Carcassi's Op.60 No.3...it's been very challenging to say the least. :freak:

• Members

My wife is a trained singer who specializes in Renaissance music. We are hoping to come up with some sort of Contemporary-Renaissance fusion. It will be a bit of a challenge for me, but, hey, all of the music she loves is public domain, so I can mess with it as much as I see fit and put 'trad arrangement' on it, a la Page-Plant.:thu:

• Members

Cool thread. :thu:

I play mostly jazz and world-jazz music (mostly Mediterranean and East European influences).

Django Reinhardt, Pat Metheny, Bill Frisell, Titi Robin, Rabih Abou Khalil, Jim Hall, Rene Thomas, etc... a little bit of bossa too.

I tend to be mostly a team player (I either play rhythm or leads, so I usually need to team up with other musicians), but I'm starting to be more and more interested (as a player) by guitar as a solo instrument.

Since I moved to the UK, I've also been more and more into typically French stuff (guess I miss it now that I'm not exposed to it anymore), and think I'm going to dive into it as a player too. Stuff from Satie to Barbara, Piaf, Brassens, musette, Gainsbourg... some lovely melodies in there. It would be great to find a musical partner, though...

Depending on what I'm going to play, I'll grab my electric, my nylon string, my manouche, my oud, or my steel-string.

:)

Archived