What kind of music do you play?

Amanda-Jane

• Members

Not a lot of Dashboard fans in these parts! Welcome!

Ellen

Count me in there.

I like Screaming Infidelities, Saints and Sailors and Best Deceptions alot.

Those low tunings (dadddd or daddad [all flat]) sound really, really big. Easy to play alot of his stuff too. I love it.

He went back to the acoustic on his latest album. It's not half bad, more standard tuning stuff, bitter as ever.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Most of you probably know I'm a big Neil Young fan and do a bunch of his songs. I also do some Stills, Buffalo Springfield, Tom Waits, Marshall Tucker, Allman Bros., Spirit, Led Zeppelin, 10cc, Leonard Cohen, Blind Faith and others + Original songs too. I'm probably most well known for my Neil Young covers.

• Members

I'm afraid I'm mostly rooted in classic rock stuff. I play a lot of Dylan, Beatles, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Clapton, Who, Eagles...Lately I've added JJ Cale (kind of an offshoot of Clapton songs), Steve Earle and a little more countryish stuff as well as a few acoustic fingerstyle blues songs. I picked up the acoustic blues stuff from the littlebrotherblues.com site that was noted earlier in the thread. Since I'm a basement/bedroom performer, I mostly play and sing for my own enjoyment. My wife is generally my only audience member.

• Members

About 99% of the stuff I play is rooted in the music of Jerry Garcia. I never tire of his stuff, never run out of things to learn and just keep at it.

Most of the time when I'm looking for yet another song to learn, instead I'll just go back to one of Jerry's songs and relearn it some more, just to notch it up one more rung. (He has all sorts of hooks under the vocals and to get them in it is a lifelong pursuit.)

When you focus on one person's style for your whole life, you eventually get to peer into the way they thought of things. At this point, my understanding is very evolved and yet I still feel as if I'll never come close. (He was that good.)

I think I underestimate my abilities since I don't play out at all. But when I do once in a while, a lot of people take notice since they instantly recognize the Garcia vibe. It seems everyone is always curious about Garcia's playing style and ability, and when someone can duplicate it a little, to good effect, well, it is very unexpected to hear, and everyone seems to take note of where I place my fingers, how I can sing at the same time, and how is it that I can make it look easy.

I only play acoustically trying to get Garcia's electric sound--a real challenge.

Am I really that good? I'm my worst critic. I always compare myself to the recordings which are perfect. Still, I do have moments where, when having not played for a few days when away on business, I can seem to pull off a rendition that I really am proud of. But, this is usually the third attempt in a night of playing. (The third time really is a charm.)

• Members

As a guy coming of age in the mid-to-late 70s, I initially cut my teeth on punk and pop. However, now that my teeth are vacating the premises, I find I've become much more eclectic. I write some stuff, but don't play out so nobody really ends up hearing it. I would find it difficult to categorize my oeuvre right now, because these days, when I pick up an acoustic I'm likely to be playing Simon and Garfunkel or Death Cab for Cutie, or Shawn Mullins, or Dave Alvin, or acoustic blues, or Elvis Costello, or Red Hot Chili Peppers, or Beatles or... I really pretty much like it all!

• Members

On acoustic I play blues, bluegrass, country, and folk (I'd include rock, but it's really just music by rockers that fits into one of the foregoing categories).

On electric I play all of the above plus a little jazz (not much; I like it, but I'm not good enough to do it justice).

• Members

) sound really, really big. Easy to play alot of his stuff too. I love it.

He went back to the acoustic on his latest album. It's not half bad, more standard tuning stuff, bitter as ever.

I haven't checked out much of his new stuff, like anything after "A Mark" I'm probably not too familiar with. I think he writes some really cool stuff and has a really unique style, despite all the sound-a-likes he spawned. I used to cover "Best Deceptions" at my solo shows. Great tune.

Ellen

• Members

I play a bit of classical

a bit of rock

a bit of jazz-rock fusion

and some other stuff

Riffmesiter, you are such a beast. I just started taking classical guitar lessons and hope I can play as well as you do someday.

Archived