What kind of music do you play?

Amanda-Jane

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First songs I found to play-

Loretta Lynn- Cole Miners Daughter

Seen the movie the other night, and thought those sound simple...

I love those first ladies of country music. I really like all kindsof music. I like Jazz and Blues, but I use the sax for that- so I thought I'd start out country for the guitar

You know- it almost sounds like the song! and if I turn the music up really really loud, I play and sing great.. bwahahahahaha

• Members

The only "gigs" I have played for the last 10 years have all been leading worship for young folks of some kind at church camps, youth rallies, and leading worship in several junior high/high school/college programs at a few churches. That being said I mostly play modern worship music from folks like Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, and other guys like that. I am also a HUGE Bebo Norman fan and tinker with a lot of his stuff as well.

• Members

Flamenco, jazzy stuff, bossa-ish stuff.

I've been writing some of my own material but I've started a lot more songs than I've finished. I improvise a lot, perhaps a bit too much. I need more of an extensive repertoire of pieces I just know from memory.

I play my flamenco guitar and my (electric) archtop almost equally lately, but I still devote most of my actual practice time to flamenco guitar.

I'm also a bad mandolin player, and there are some other instruments I'd be interested in learning to play poorly as well. :o

• Members

A-J, one of the things that was really interesting to me as I listened to the submissions for the album project (the Annex) is how many different style of music are played by our members - take a listen to each one and enjoy the whole gambit of acoustic guitar

Me - I was brought up listening to blues and folky stuff from the 50's and 60's. My whole guitar world was knocked head over heels when I heard a guy named Kottke, and one of his influences, John Fahey. I like to think of what I try to play as what John called "American Primative"

• Members

lot's of notes and strums... but nothing actually formalized. as another poster mentioned i might call it 'trance-acoustic'- but admittedly influenced by fahey/kottke/and more recently robbie basho.

as i play a little drum here and there with my pop's- i almost approach the guitar as a percussive instrument- so that color's my attempts at play as well- i am hopeful that as i gain ability through repetition i will be able to take up more formalized tunes-

good topic- and discussion

• Members

I try to learn as much as possible, but of late its mostly acoustic jazz (several forms of it-from bossa to gypsy jazz), some bluegrass, fingerpicking stuff, ethnic stuff (whether it be irish and celtic or middle eastern...), and acoustic rock/songwriter stuff.

But my moods keep changing, and so does my playing.

• Members

Traditional Irish music, and Irish ballads.

Blues - lots of blues.

Whoa. Has anyone ever told you that you kind of resemble Tom Waits?

:)

• Members

I am interested to know what types of music do you find yourself playing most often?

My own songs--mostly rock-influenced acoustic stuff, some ballads. For some reason, a fair amount of it is in 3/4 or 6/8 time signature.

Do you have a few favorite songs you seem to play most times you pick up your guitar?

It's whatever I'm working on learning (of my own material) so I can play it "out"--so this changes from month to month.

Or maybe a favorite artist or band that you like to sound like?

If I write something, and I can "hear" Tom Petty singing it, I know it's cool.

Archived