Wife gave me an awesome almost-birthday present

kwakatak

• Members

My own GAS fund. I could pull the trigger right now on something Chinese or I could try and scratch together more and get something closer to what I've been dreaming of. I'm not one of those GAS-aholic types who pull the trigger only to "flip" a guitar a few months down the road. This is to be a long-term investment. Problem is, I'm still a lonnng way in funds from my "ultimate guitar" (a custom guitar from a certain luthier I know) so it may still be months yet - but at least I got something to look forward to...

...or not. Those Yamaha LL6's are good "right now" guitars and then there are Martin D-35's coming up used every so often for $1400 (still out of reach though.) I could always pull the trigger on a used Larriv

• Members

I vote for waiting, too, Neil. You've been GASsing for a Martin for so very long and I don't think you'll be happy with anything less.

I think it goes without saying that you gave your wife a huge hug and kiss. :)

• Members
My own GAS fund. I could pull the trigger right now on something Chinese or I could try and scratch together more and get something closer to what I've been dreaming of. I'm not one of those GAS-aholic types who pull the trigger only to "flip" a guitar a few months down the road. This is to be a long-term investment. Problem is, I'm still a lonnng way in funds from my "ultimate guitar" (a custom guitar from a certain luthier I know) so it may still be months yet - but at least I got something to look forward to...

...or not. Those Yamaha LL6's are good "right now" guitars and then there are Martin D-35's coming up used every so often for $1400 (still out of reach though.) I could always pull the trigger on a used Larriv

• Members

I'd wait until you can get enough money to get the custom guitar you want. You've done without that particular guitar for years, so in the grand scheme of things, a few more months really isn't really all that bad. If a custom guitar is worth the money, it's worth the wait as well.

• Members

I'll go against the consensus since nobody listens to noobs anyway.

Dude, you're dreaming if you think a custom build will be your final dream guitar and end your GAS forever. It's just a slippery slope into a whole new realm of GAS. Go check the AG forum. Nobody there stops with one custom build.

Live within your means. Buy. And flip. And buy again. Taste all the guitars out there. And then spit them out.

• Members

Dude, you're dreaming if you think a custom build will be your final dream guitar and end your GAS forever. It's just a slippery slope into a whole new realm of GAS. Go check the AG forum. Nobody there stops with one custom build.

Live within your means. Buy. And flip. And buy again. Taste all the guitars out there. And then spit them out.

Yes. Agreed. This is a rockin philosophy.

But I'd still wait only because I've done the none-waiting thing only to be left with the same aprox gas I had in the first place. Like, I got an OM-35 because it sounded great, but I stll wish it was an OM-28V with a few custom appts. But, once I got my hands on the Custom Shop Martin, spc'd to my liking, a big part of my gas was quelled.

Now I'm waiting till I can cover the OM-28V, and most likely will sell the OM-35 to do it.

Again I say, wait.

• Members

So how far are you away from the Martin?....if its a while and you don't mind flippin.....has some fun on E-bay, Craigslist, or any one of the hundreds of shops that carry used guitars.

I have a friend with an early 2000 Larrivee dred (DO3?)that is in mint condition and is REAL mahogany, not sapelle and a beautiful spruce top. He'd probably let it go for $700-800 ish. I have found that Trinity has some great used prices for Martins too. You have to e-mail or call him for a price...you may just be surprised.

I have even seen real gems at GC's in my area. Of late they have a Morgan Monroe M-00-TBV that is mint for $250 with the original and I may add, pretty nice HSC. I guess what I'm saying is that you can damn near find anything if you look far and deep enough. Again, you only live once, have some fun at it.

• Members

Dude, you're dreaming if you think a custom build will be your
final dream guitar and end your GAS forever
. It's just a slippery slope into a whole new realm of GAS. Go check the AG forum. Nobody there stops with one custom build.

Satisfying GAS isn't the point of getting a custom build, my friend, so I fully agree with you. The point is having a guitar designed to my specifications and built by a reputable luthier. It's a guitar you won't find anywhere else on the face of this planet until you stumble upon my music room. I don't expect it to be the defining reference standard from which all other acoustic guitars should be designed. I have none of those delusions. I only know it's designed to my specs and there's something morbidly satisfying knowing you (personally) and everyone else will never have the opportunity to play one like it.

• Members

I'm going against the grain here....I say go for a dread now. Something reasonable...like the Yamaha you mentioned or, try a Taylor 210 for about $870 new.

Keep the BIG dream on the table for now. It will come.

I play the same Larrivee that you play and I too am gassing for a different sound after playing it for 5 years. I played a D-03R side by side to Taylor dread...the 210. The Larrivee sounded much like my om-03r only a much bigger sound. Warm. The Taylor was extremely light in weight but the sound was big and bright but not too bright. It was the different sound that I am longing for. A guitar to clean up my strumming and the neck played like butter.

Right now I can't fund even the $870 for the Taylor but I could fund a
Anyway, I am in the same boat with you Kwak and this is how I am patiently approaching a NGD.

• Members

I am going to go against the consensus as well. Buy this:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showpost.php?p=35461983&postcount=372

You can enjoy it for a while and then flip it for close to what you paid for it. It will satisfy your gas temporarily. You can keep saving and add the price of this guitar into the pot when (if) you sell it.

There is nothing that satisfies GAS as well as buying something. The trick is to buy something that you can sell without losing much (or any) money, so you can continue on the path to "The One." Of course, if you end up really liking the guitar, all the better. :thu:

Archived