Wife gave me an awesome almost-birthday present

kwakatak

• Members

Hold off for the Martin!

And don't buy the first one you encounter once you have the cash.....wait until you find The Right One.

So, what's that say about Martin guitars? I thought they were all made to strict material and workmanship standards. Flame me or same me but the high profile Gibson variances I've also noticed with Martins. The latter just seems to be immune to negative comment for some odd reason.

• Members

Yeah, I'm thinking "wait" too but I'm still conflicted. The fact of the matter is that I'm really wanting for a new "workhorse" dread for playing/singing against at open mics and at church. It'd also have to be something I'd feel comfortable about playing around the house with 2 little kids around, though to be fair that's what I've been using (and would continue to use) my old Tak for. I really do like that Martin tone and if I can't find a D-35 then I'm beginning to think that maybe a D-16RGT might do.

BTW, while I've tried many other brands' dreads none have appealed to me nearly as much as the Martins. Sorry, but that's my preference at this point. I've tried various models of Taylor, Larriv

• Members
Yeah, I'm thinking "wait" too but I'm still conflicted. The fact of the matter is that I'm really wanting for a new "workhorse" dread for playing/singing against at open mics and at church. It'd also have to be something I'd feel comfortable about playing around the house with 2 little kids around, though to be fair that's what I've been using (and would continue to use) my old Tak for. I really do like that Martin tone and if I can't find a D-35 then I'm beginning to think that maybe a D-16RGT might do.

BTW, while I've tried many other brands' dreads none have appealed to me nearly as much as the Martins. Sorry, but that's my preference at this point. I've tried various models of Taylor, Larriv

• Members

If you gotta have a Martin I would get the D16R GT now. No, it's not a D35 or HD28 but I played one next to those and its pretty damn close and a lot cheaper. You can always "upgrade" later.

Yeah, it wasn't bad. I wonder how "sensitive" they are though. I've heard they can get "muddy" - but then I hear that about ALL Martins with scalloped bracing.

• Members

Yeah, it wasn't bad. I wonder how "sensitive" they are though. I've heard they can get "muddy" - but then I hear that about ALL Martins with scalloped bracing.

Dont know, never had one. But that's the model I been eyeballing if I decide I want to get a Martin. Ultimately the D35 or HD28 would be what I really want, but its not in the fiscal cards yet.

• Members

Kwak, you don't know me and I don't know you, except through this forum.

From that I have gathered over the last 9 months (since being on this forum), I'd suggest you wait. Ultimately, a custom would be grand, but I think you really want a Martin. Realistically, I think that is within your reach.

All this advice about buying guitars that would be below your real standard and selling them in preparation for your ultimate guitar is a waste of your time. Realistically, you don't have time to buy an $800 guitar, and then look for a buyer, and then buy a $1000 guitar, and then find a buyer. Maybe it would be nice to play all those guitars, but it would really pull your focus away from doing what you really have to do and also squirrelling your money away.

I say define your goal and work towards that. My impression is, your goal is a high-end Martin, i.e. D28 or D35.

This is all based on previous posts, so take it for what it's worth. You are in a blessed situation. See it for what it is and go forward accordingly.

Your virtual friend,

Rob

• Members

OK, I'm changing my mind. Buy something tomorrow. Who knows what the future will bring? You might be at the zoo with your kids and be attacked by a deranged lemur. What will your self sacrifice have gained you?

Actually I am going to the zoo tomorrow and I was thinking about taking the kids to go pet the goats...:poke:

• Members

Actually I
am
going to the zoo tomorrow and I
was
thinking about taking the kids to go pet the goats...:poke:

lol

Seriously, Kwak, I would see you at a place like the Old Port of Montreal, performing in public. You are good, you would get a lot of tips!

• Members

lol

Seriously, Kwak, I would see you at a place like the Old Port of Montreal, performing in public. You are good, you would get a lot of tips!

aw, shucks.

Seriously though, I do have the bug but OTOH I have fun playing for my kids. Though I complain about them beating up my guitars, every so often one of them will go in the other room and bring me my Tak. In fact, the other day I caught my 2 year old strumming at its strings as it sat leaning upright in the corner. He was singing "he's got the whole world in his hands" in toddler-speak. Even my autistic 5 year-old has been singing along. McNulty's right about the benefits of music therapy.

• Members
Actually I
am
going to the zoo tomorrow and I
was
thinking about taking the kids to go pet the goats...:poke:

:lol::lol::lol:

OMG, I am laughing.

Kwak, I just know whatever you decide the instrument will be in good hands.

Best of luck.

I have heard enough of your music to know that you are deserving of something on the upper end and the way you talk about the 35....I hope you find one with your name on it.!!

• Members

OMG - ebay is a dangerous thing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Martin-Co-D-35-Acoustic-Guitar-1969-Excellent-Cond-NR_W0QQitemZ110415013647QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item19b53f670f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|293%3A1|294%3A50

Current bid is $800. 4 days left though so it's gonna go much higher. No chance in hell of getting a birth year Martin D-35, even though it's kinda like kismet. :facepalm:

• Members

I can't believe that I'm still awake and conflicted over this but here I am. I've thought long and hard about it but think that I am gonna wait for a bit - at least until the holidays. During that time I can always add more to the GAS fund. I just did a tally of my coffee can fund and along with the GAS fund and other gifts I'm closer to that D-16RGT than I thought but I think I'd like something a little nicer. Plus I'd like to purchase a pickup to put into whatever I decide upon.

Thanks for all the advice and temptations!

I vote for waiting, too, Neil. You've been GASsing for a Martin for so very long and I don't think you'll be happy with anything less.

I think it goes without saying that you gave your wife a huge hug and kiss.
:)

Yessir!!! This is wisdom!

Archived