Got some ebony bridge pins for my Alvarez

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I was wondering when you make an appearance - long overdue, I believe. You may not be aware that shiny Zager pins are a Luthiers secret weapon. Zager Pins can make any guitar sound wonderful, thats why luthiers deny the connection, they are trying to keep the whole thing secret.

I heard that Denny himself polishes each pin...

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I liked the part about pig sculpture the best. You don't see them complaining about bridge pins or health care. They just wallow around in their own filth. We could learn a lot from pigs.
:)

10 more pages... :facepalm:

• Members

Godwins Law simply predicts the probability of an event increases as does the post count. Hitler did the same thing. It was one of the basic Nazi concepts.

Now wait just a gol-darned minute. Al Gore invented the internet in the 80s or early 90s, and Hitler offed himself in 1945. I don't think Adolf did any posting.

• Members

The original law was on usenet, an advanced form of "Reichnet", which was implemented by packet transmission of data via morse code. It was there that Hitler first postulated that as the number of unique transmissions increased, the probability of at least one of them mentioning him by name became a certainty.

Hey, you know I wouldn't make this stuff up...

• Members

I'm just disappointed that Guitarcapo hasn't answered my question about whether string vibration is completely cut off past the saddle and/or nut. If it's not, then anything touching the strings has a chance to have some affect. Whether it's noticeable or not will always be argued, but that will be a different issue than whether pins affect tone or not.

• Members

Yes, but it is safe to assume that it is below anyone's differential threshold given how small the physical change is. There is a larger physical change on a guitar when you change the bridge pins than when you throw a sugar cube in a pool. And doesn't the fact that so many people claim to here a difference and that they tend to hear the same differences indicate something to you? That perhaps just because you can't hear something doesn't mean it doesn't exist?

I have a friend who had a huge tree in their front yard fall on their house the other night.

She wasn't home, and the neighbors all swear that they heard nothing. Yet when she returned home early the next morning, there really was a tree in her living room.

Just sayin...

• Members

... and still there. The bandaid was to impose a new layer of oversight onto the existing mess, one that takes exceptions into account. The root cause, however is alive and well.

And then it seems to me that there was another disaster...

• Members

Hey! I got to the end!

Well here's what I have to say about bridge pins:

I like the way the bone ones feel better than the plastic ones. And I REALLY liked the way the snakewood with abalone inlay ones looked on the Epi Masterbilt that I gave my son.

I've slotted the bridges on a couple of my Martins and got unslotted bone pins for them and it seemed to make a slight a tonal difference.

But then again, I took the John Pearse Armrests off of my guitars, even though they made a rather significant tonal difference, because I thought they looked too dorky.

:snax:

• Members

That was not the case. When I took the ebony pins out and put the plastic back in the guitar went back to its normal tone, no extra brightness.

In which case I must have missed the part where you said it became 'thinner and more "quacky" '. Is that its normal tone?

• Members

In which case I must have missed the part where you said it became 'thinner and more "quacky" '. Is that its normal tone?

The normal tone (with plastic pins) is warm and full with lots of overtones. When I put the ebony in there then the tone became thinner and more quacky.

• Members

How long did you leave them on? I'm not wading back through the post, but I think you said 8 hours. If I put something on for tonal comparison, I leave it on at least three days, and play living Heck out of it. I figger hours of use and time under tension are both factors in getting something settled in. But I am wrong and a liar, so who cares?
For all you other folks who are off your meds, I usually glue a standard cat's eye to my golf tee. Do you think I would get superior tone and sustain from a steelie?

• Members

Heh, I may indeed look like an idiot but then again, I'm not a luthier who apparently has more time on his hands for arguing semantics and intangibles on a web site forum than building guitars.

Though you're entertaining a lot of folks you're certainly not educating them and you have yet to post those equations backing up your claims, something that would be educational.

Actually, the truth is you have been adamant that bridge pins make no difference to the sound. You've driven that belief into the ground.

In my opinion if you are that adamant that the pins make no difference you will not allow your customers to have any other pins installed, regardless of their reasoning, and especially since plastic pins are available that look very much the same, and you will not compromise those values you claim so adamantly and doing otherwise is hypocritical and shows a lack of integrity.

I'm sure that another luthier would be more than happy to pay a referral fee to you so you would still make some money on the guitar while keeping your integrity.

Bridge pins made out of wood are prettier. By your logic, a jewelry store shouldn't offer gold Rolex watches, just stainless steel ones, if they also believe that the same internal movement in each keeps time the same. You seem thick and slow on the concept of cosmetics being a factor in merchandise. I don't know what to tell you other than some stuff on guitars is just bling and people WILL buy bling for reasons that have nothing to do with sound. If you truly can't grasp this simple concept I feel sorry for you. Personally I think you're just getting owned in an argument and you're not really that obtuse. It's fun watching you squirm in the corner you've painted yourself into. Don't worry I'm not frustrated by your attempts at trying to now appear silly because your arguments are failing.

Archived