Got some ebony bridge pins for my Alvarez

DarkHorseJ27

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Goat-loving idiots who know they are goat-loving idiots are certainly less idiotic than idiots who are idiotic but aren't aware of it!

... Les femmes doivent toutes avoir envie de te coller leurs serviettes sanitaires dans le front tellement t'es un cr

• Members

Quite an interesting statement Misha...

This thread blows. This crap is the source JTs occasional rants.

My .02

1) there are cork sniffers who simply want to have the best and doesnt really comprehend the differences in tone in woods, design, strings etc. These guys often irritate the crap out of me as they only want to have objects which re-affirm their own personal value. Cork sniffers - yuchh

2) there are those with heightened auditory reception, who can tell differences and nuances that many cannot. They are driven to obtain the best sound that they are capable of hearing

3) There are people like me, who just doesnt get too excited about minor differences in tone as so much of it is lost in recording, or in the PA anyway. Tin ear or just doesn't care. Shrugs, either way, I am blissful with my current guitars, set-ups, accessories and mods.

4) There are idiots who will actually tell others what they can and cannot hear. A suitable approach for any cork sniffers that you run across, but pretty lame to think that whatever you can't hear doesn't exist (the Ostrich approach). A reasoned person will realize that there are bound to be those with better hearing, and that better hearing will mean better discernment.

Personally, I think the differences I hear in so many cases are lost in the noise of performance, so I am not driven (thank god) to chase the small differences. If you are, good for you.

Just don't try to tell me that the differences are larger than they are (capable of transforming an average guitar to great guitar). If you do, then you are a fair cork sniffing target.

Also don't try to tell me that differences are imagined. Anything that changes guitar mass, density, and geometry is bound to have an impact, discernible or not. If you do then expect JT up yer a$$.

• Members
This thread blows.

If you had an ear worth {censored}, you would realize that what you're hearing is a sucking sound, not a blowing sound. It is scientifically impossible for you to perceive a blowing noise from this thread.

Love,
Teh Sensory Police :cop:

• Members

You post: "I know everyone else is wrong" in quotes.... Can you provide a link to a post of mine that you are quoting me from? Or are you just ignorant on how quotation marks are used? As for answering your questions, I did my best. But like I said before, there come a point where you just can't prove stuff like what a person hears in their head. At that point you got me. Further discussion is tired and pointless.

Sorry, it wasn't intended to be a direct quote but an inferrance from your post. Basically, you were saying that since you don't agree with people who voted for Bush and that you couldn't make them see it your way, it's their loss because you're still right.

As for the question in question, I wasn't asking you to prove what people can or can't hear, I asked you whether or not, with 100% certainty, string vibration is completely stopped at the saddle and/or nut.

I am doing my best to avoid all the subjectiveness of this sort of issue. I'm trying to gather some actual facts, like the answer to my question. I'm not asking what you hear, or don't hear, or what you think other people hear, or don't hear. I want to know, if you know, whether string vibration stops at the nut and/or saddle, and what you may have that validates your answer.

• Members
4) There are idiots who will actually tell others what they can and cannot hear. A suitable approach for any cork sniffers that you run across, but pretty lame to think that whatever you can't hear doesn't exist (the Ostrich approach). A reasoned person will realize that there are bound to be those with better hearing, and that better hearing will mean better discernment.

Well put, totamus :thu:!

Some people will swear they'll notice a difference when the change bridge pins, or saddles, or nuts, or whatever. Maybe there really is a difference. Maybe it's just a placebo effect and the person is hearing a difference that's not really there because they want to hear a difference.

But in either case, I don't think anyone has the right to tell that person what they can or can't hear. Even if the change in sound quality is only a perceived one, why bother raising Cain over it? If upgrading their guitar makes a person happy, just let 'em be happy about it and leave it that.

• Members
I don't tell anyone what they can or cannot hear. This is not necessarily the same thing as believing them when they say they can hear this or that.

Sometimes I believe them, and sometimes I don't, but I keep that to myself.

I think that's a pretty good policy.

The question I have is that it seems (to me, anyway) that we've had different luthiers say different things about the issue. One was very adament that changing bridge pins only affected tone insofar as it changed the mass at the bridge, and noted that taping coins to the bridge would have the same effect. Now on this thread I'm hearing that a person could tape fishing line weights to the bridge and it's implied that doing so won't change anything.

I've never changed bridge pins, so I have no idea. I've never changed a saddle, a nut, tuners, never had a refret; hell, I've never even had a single guitar in 20 years even set up by someone. :facepalm: So I truly have no idea about what affects tone and what doesn't, apart from how I play it.

But it confuses me that we have such wide opinions, even amongst self-proclaimed experts, about what does wha. It confuses me even more why people are so emotional about it all.

• Members
Quite an interesting statement Misha...

This thread blows. This crap is the source JTs occasional rants.

My .02

1) there are cork sniffers who simply want to have the best and doesnt really comprehend the differences in tone in woods, design, strings etc. These guys often irritate the crap out of me as they only want to have objects which re-affirm their own personal value. Cork sniffers - yuchh

2) there are those with heightened auditory reception, who can tell differences and nuances that many cannot. They are driven to obtain the best sound that they are capable of hearing

3) There are people like me, who just doesnt get too excited about minor differences in tone as so much of it is lost in recording, or in the PA anyway. Tin ear or just doesn't care. Shrugs, either way, I am blissful with my current guitars, set-ups, accessories and mods.

Personally, I think the differences I hear in so many cases are lost in the noise of performance, so I am not driven (thank god) to chase the small differences. If you are, good for you.

Just don't try to tell me that the differences are larger than they are (capable of transforming an average guitar to great guitar). If you do, then you are a fair cork sniffing target.

Also don't try to tell me that differences are imagined. Anything that changes guitar mass, density, and geometry is bound to have an impact, discernible or not. If you do then expect JT up yer a$$.

Hi totamus! :wave:

To anybody reading this post or even thinking about bridge pins... Read this:

My dog purrs since I got bone pins for my acoustic! He's an happy cat now! He's so pleased with the tone, when I don't play, he cries like a baby!

:p

:D

• Members
Prove it!
:lol:
Have you ever done the experiment? How can you make a blanket statement like that about a swimming pool you've never even seen or swam in? Please provide links backing up your scientific theories:wave: How can you tell other people what they can or can't taste in their swimming pool?

(did someone pee in my pool?)
:mad:

Weren't you using that as an anology to prove your point, and therefore indicating it is below anyone's threshold?

• Members

"Basically, you were saying that since you don't agree with people who voted for Bush and that you couldn't make them see it your way"

I would vote for Bush too as I never cared much for the shaved look. And on that subject, and more to the point, I can attest for, without any doubt at all, that vibration does indeed travel past the Nut and Saddle. I can see the vibrations with my own two eyes as they reverberate in the waterbed.

• Members
I would vote for Bush too as I never cared much for the shaved look. And on that subject, and more to the point, I can attest for, without any doubt at all, that vibration does indeed travel past the Nut and Saddle. I can see the vibrations with my own two eyes as they reverberate in the waterbed.

As my grandmother would say, you're a pip! :thu:

• Members

I am disgusted by this level of vulgarity. Here we were having such a pleasant discussion too. It is simply appalling that someone does not like the shaved look.

• Members

So, guitarcapo, to be completely fair and true to your strong beliefs on this matter you never put anything on any guitars you build except plastic pins, nuts and saddles., and the cheapest machine heads simply because they will not affect the tone of the guitar you build?

Or, does greed overcome and compromise your beliefs in this matter and you accept additional money to build a guitar with bone nuts, saddles, better machines heads, and pins other than plastic when a customer wants them?

You don't refuse that request, being adamant that it's a waste of the customer's money because those different materials won't change the tone?

Archived