Got some ebony bridge pins for my Alvarez

DarkHorseJ27

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because this is an on-topic forum, I should say my excitement about seeing acoustic Hot Tuna in December (yes, I already have tickets) is building day by day; Jack Casady is a monster bass player and Jorma is a much better acoustic than electric guitar player.

But I couldn't let this go:

Originally Posted by guitarcapo

One comment I'd like to make on the dating scene. I went to live in New York City for 3 years. I had a Manhattan apartment, making good money as an eye doctor. But the town seemed totally absent of datable women. Every party I threw seemed to have a ratio of 10 single rich guys to maybe one single Russian immigrant chick. Total sausage fest. In retrospect it makes sense. Manahattan is both expensive and dangerous. Not really easy for single women to live there. I was right out of college and bought into the Sex and the City crap. I moved to S.W. Florida and there seem to be way more hot single women looking to hook up here than in New York. Basically if you want to find hot women, live in a college town or resort/tourist economy town. Forget big cities.

He never posted this in HCGJ because we have 3 or 4 very active posters from New York that would called him on it. I recently read an economic analysis that used "Sex and the City" as an illustration and explained that hot, young women flocked to New York City from all over the world and they were all in competition for a smaller pool of men, thus the continual frustration of the lead characters on the TV show.

Secondly, in the thread in which he said he was a doctor, he was citing old medical textbooks to explain racist beliefs. I said that medical knowledge changes over time and cited the example that 15 years ago, nobody connected exercise with lowering high eye pressure (related to glaucoma which I have), but now there are several studies concluding that aerobic exercise will help in lowering high eye pressure and positively impact open-angle glaucoma. He didn't ask for any citations or say, "I'm an eye doctor and I've heard/not heard of this, blah, blah, blah." Of course, these days, we have a real doctor (chaseA17) posting in HCGJ. ;)

• Members

He never posted this in HCGJ because we have 3 or 4 very active posters from New York that would called him on it. I recently read an economic analysis that used "Sex and the City" as an illustration and explained that hot, young women flocked to New York City from all over the world and they were all in competition for a smaller pool of men, thus the continual frustration of the lead characters on the TV show.

He did post that, exactly as shown, in GJ. Here is the link to the thread. He was claiming to be a Doctor. You may have had a different conversation with him, but this one is pretty clear. His post is #26.

Link:"Any of you guys try internet dating?

• Members
Sam.jpg

so I've been a bit quiet on this thread but I feel I must now strongly interject. Garthman - how dare you put an image up that depicts a girl as beautiful as Katie Melua. This will now detrimentally affect the tone of my guitars as I'm now in shock. A little known side effect of this is to change the density of my fingernails which in turn will cause all sorts of vibratory problems in the top coil of my string windings. You complete and utter swine.

• Members
He did post that, exactly as shown, in GJ. Here is the link to the thread. He was claiming to be a Doctor. You may have had a different conversation with him, but this one is pretty clear. His post is #26.

Link:
"Any of you guys try internet dating?

:facepalm:

You're right; my bad. The medical book thing was in 07 or so. I see in that thread that a New Yorker did contradict him. Those old threads are like yearbooks; Abrasion's been busy with school and hardly posts anymore and phunky phred's sort of disappeared.

• Members
Because this is an on-topic forum, I should say my excitement about seeing acoustic Hot Tuna in December (yes, I already have tickets) is building day by day; Jack Casady is a monster bass player and Jorma is a much better acoustic than electric guitar player.

But I couldn't let this go:

Secondly, in the thread in which he said he was a doctor, he was citing old medical textbooks to explain racist beliefs. I said that medical knowledge changes over time and cited the example that 15 years ago, nobody connected exercise with lowering high eye pressure (related to glaucoma which I have), but now there are several studies concluding that aerobic exercise will help in lowering high eye pressure and positively impact open-angle glaucoma. He didn't ask for any citations or say, "I'm an eye doctor and I've heard/not heard of this, blah, blah, blah." Of course, these days, we have a real doctor (chaseA17) posting in HCGJ.
;)

As for living in NYC..I lived there from 1989 to around 1993. I was just describing my own experiences there. Weird to get your panties in a bunch over it.

Do you have a link supporting the second assertion? I'd love to read how I'm a racist. You do realize that it's common knowledge that black people get glaucoma more often than whites (as is hypertension)...and this is not dated information don't you? As for your information on excercise...it probably couldn't hurt but if you think it's a treatment for glaucoma, all I can say is that if a doctor sent a patient with glaucoma home with and excercise regimine, he'd be looking at a lawsuit in about 5 years.

• Members

People of African Descent. Across all age groups, the prevalence of glaucoma in African-Americans is about 3.5% compared to about 1% in Caucasians. In addition, U.S. studies suggest that glaucoma develops earlier in African-American population groups (starting at age 45 instead of age 60 in Caucasians). And, their risk for blindness once they have glaucoma is 14 - 17 times that of Caucasians with glaucoma. African-American men are at higher risk than women. African-American children who are extremely near-sighted and have relatives with glaucoma should begin regular eye examinations for glaucoma as early as possible.

http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/glaucoma/risk-factors.html

(seriously do you really wanna get owned in THIS argument too? Maybe you can call me a rapist as an effective rebuttal)

• Members
http://www.glaucoma.org/learn/africanamerican.php

http://www.aachac.org/healthfactsheets/glaucoma.html

http://www.glaucoma.org/news/glaucoma_resear_2.php

I know... I know. All this medical research can easily be refuted by other research that's more recent than the 15 year old texts I use. For example maybe you'll cite the JAMA findings that I'm a troll who also happens to be a pediphile. There's also that recent research coming out of Harvard on the subject that I suck and am a liar too. Great arguments. Hard for me to debate healthcare research like that. Have a nice day :wave:

• Members
Hmmm...yes...I do have a thing for smiling brunettes...and no bridge pins!

Katie-Melua.jpg

oh hell :facepalm: .... you just had to didn't you? lol. That's the end of my fingernails now. I'm gonna go play the tambourine :cry: (but maybe Katie would be impressed with my jangly tambourine style .... or something)

• Members

(seriously do you really wanna get owned in THIS argument too? Maybe you can call me a rapist as an effective rebuttal)

Perhaps you are unaware of a gentleman named Louis Leakey? We are all of African descent.

But, really, you are the least interesting part of this forum as well as consistently displaying ignorance about anything you speak of.

• Members

Please post a link to where I state excercise wasn't beneficial to health in general or glaucoma specifically...or are you again just making up stuff that I supposedly said?

If you can't find one an apology would be appropriate.

BTW since we are all of African decent, what about all these medical links I posted? Care to comment on what the NYT and other reputable journals have to say on the matter? It seems like the medical community feels there is some means of distinguishing people for healthcare matters.

But please do continue attacking me personally. Your debating skills when it comes to medical research amazes me.

• Members
Please post a link to where I state excercise wasn't beneficial to health in general or glaucoma specifically...or are you again just making up stuff that I supposedly said?

If you can't find one an apology would be appropriate.

BTW since we are all of African decent, what about all these medical links I posted? Care to comment on what the NYT and other reputable journals have to say on the matter? It seems like the medical community feels there is some means of distinguishing people for healthcare matters.

But please do continue attacking me personally. Your debating skills when it comes to medical research amazes me.

Welcome back...:wave:
I was hoping this thread would not die...I got buddies at AR15.com checking it out for fun. And, it's friggin hot here in Oregon (107

• Members
What Dano do you play Sami? Didn't know you had one. Hell, for that matter didn't know you played electric ever.

Yes, m'dear...I do enjoy electric once in awhile, though I don't have one of my own. Da roomie has a wonderful assortment of gits (including some really funky and/or cool vintage ones) and generously allows me to play whichever one I want.

Quite naturally, my fave is this Dano 12-er.

SN850121.jpg

• Members

Yea...they're digging up posts from years ago I made on medical matters as some excuse for debate on bridgepins here. These people really love their bridge pins. I really don't blame Bob Taylor for sugar coating his response to: "WHAT IF I told you that bridge pins make no difference...?"

Imagine if he wasn't so diplomatic?

Actually, no one is talking about bridgepins anymore. The issue is stuck in a YMMV limbo that will prolly never be decided in absolute terms. The post from years ago was to highlight that you seem to have penchant for making claims about your credentials which cannot be substantiated.

Luthier, of course, is one example, and the germane post from 4 years ago is where you claimed to be a Doctor. I suspect that there is a grain of truth in both of these exaggerated claims, but that neither are accurate.

The real issue here has turned into bullying people into submission, which is a problem on this forum with several topics. Your viewpoints on bridgepins are no less valid than anyone else's. But they are also not more valid. Your understanding of basic physics aside, you have not the qualifications to be deemed the absolute authority on bridgepins anymore than on Glaucoma (although your position on glaucoma and race is correct).

Folks here are forgiving. Stop acting like a pompous, self inflated, authority on all things guitar, and you will find that the forum is a fun place. Personally, I think that your hearing discernment is not as good as some others (my own hearing has rolled off somewhat). You really need to chill a little and accept that others have valid input which may at times be different and contradictory to your own.

Your model of the guitar universe cannot be forced upon all who engage in this forum.

Archived