Got some ebony bridge pins for my Alvarez

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

This is actually the final stage in Esteban production.

I always wondered why the lady on HSN sat to his left.

Are they personally "signed" by Este himself?

I hear he's done a remake of Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck's song, Flatulation.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay, lets face it. Guitarcapo is the final authority on bridge pins, nuts, saddles, and tonewoods. He knows it all, and has the terrible burden of trying to set the rest of us poor slobs straight :rolleyes:

Guitarcapo is the Howard Roark of the luthier profession. :rolleyes:

This acoustic guitar forum should be renamed the Guitarcapo bridge pin, nut, saddle, and tonewood information forum. (or perhaps mis-information forum)

Good God. :facepalm:

• Members

Bridge pins made out of wood are prettier. By your logic, a jewelry store shouldn't offer gold Rolex watches, just stainless steel ones, if they also believe that the same internal movement in each keeps time the same. You seem thick and slow on the concept of cosmetics being a factor in merchandise. I don't know what to tell you other than some stuff on guitars is just bling and people WILL buy bling for reasons that have nothing to do with sound. If you truly can't grasp this simple concept I feel sorry for you. Personally I think you're just getting owned in an argument and you're not really that obtuse. It's fun watching you squirm in the corner you've painted yourself into. Don't worry I'm not frustrated by your attempts at trying to now appear silly because your arguments are failing.

Since you did not grasp Dak's original comment, I will put it into simpler terms.

A person who fights tooth and nail to discredit materials as nonfunctional and therefore unworthy, is quite duplicitous when they introduce other nonfunctional material into their art. They demean their own own art by allowing simple profit to override conviction.

Even Simpler:

You make yourself look silly and self serving by offering materials for profit when you fight so hard against materials which do not turn a profit for you.

Even Simpler:

You damage your credibility as a Luthier by your childish rants.

Even Simpler:

You're an ass

• Members
Bridge pins made out of wood are prettier. By your logic, a jewelry store shouldn't offer gold Rolex watches, just stainless steel ones, if they also believe that the same internal movement in each keeps time the same. You seem thick and slow on the concept of cosmetics being a factor in merchandise. I don't know what to tell you other than some stuff on guitars is just bling and people WILL buy bling for reasons that have nothing to do with sound. If you truly can't grasp this simple concept I feel sorry for you. Personally I think you're just getting owned in an argument and you're not really that obtuse. It's fun watching you squirm in the corner you've painted yourself into. Don't worry I'm not frustrated by your attempts at trying to now appear silly because your arguments are failing.

Do you not grasp the fact that there are plastic pins that look just like pins made from ebony, bone and other materials and are virtually undetectable as being plastic? Or, maybe in your infinite wisdom you choose to ignore that was well. So, it's still just bling, isn't it, Plastic pins with faux pearl dots or ebony pins with faux pearl dots? I'm sure that with your eagle eyes you can easily discern the difference from across the room. :rolleyes:

Of course between the two of us, we know everything there is to know. You know everything except one thing and I know that....

• Members

Then of course this guy knows nothing at all about acoustic guitars. :facepalm:

Most Martin guitars come equipped with standard plastic bridge pins. The job of the bridge pin is to hold the string in place at the bridge, and while plastic pins get the job done, there are several other materials that can greatly improve your guitar's tone. Tusq, Bone, Ebony and Fossilized Walrus Ivory (FWI) are just some of the better pins on the market today. Some of the improvements you can expect from a bridge pin upgrade are increased sustain, more clarity, and overall volume. Depending on which material you choose, you can also steer your Martin guitar towards more bass or more treble. When using plastic as a reference, I would describe the different bridge pins like this:

* Tusq can add a moderate amount of treble, sustain, clarity & volume to your Martin.

* Bone offers everything Tusq provides, but in bigger doses.

* Ebony can add bass and warmth to your Martin, along with a signifigant increase in sustain & volume.

* Buffalo Horn sounds almost identical to bone, and is a great choice if you want a dark looking pin with bone tone.

* Fossilized Walrus Jawbone offers the fundamental tone of bone but with better overtones & fatter harmonics.

* Fossilized Mammoth Ivory can add sustain, volume, and a transparent richness to your guitar, with an increase in harmonics & overtones!

* Fossilized Walrus Ivory provides the greatest increase in volume, sustain & clarity among all the pin choices. Some high end Martins actually ship with FWI as standard equipment!

Changing your bridge pins can be a fun experiment, and with the exception of FWI, its a relatively inexpensive one. The only modification that changes your sound more dramatically is a change in saddle material, which can also be a good idea. Tusq, Bone and FWI are also excellent saddle materials, and the above tonal descriptions are also true for saddles when compared to plastic & micarta. Whether you're looking for that extra bit of tone, or just plain curious - take the plunge and see what you come up with. Your guitar just might surprise you!

Maury Rutch

• Members

I will say for the record, that I do not place huge emphasis on Bridge pins. The difference they make is not as noticeable to my ears as they are to others. I scoff at corksniffers who claim huge differences that transform mediocre guitars in into wondrous instruments of pure tone.

But I wouldn't be foolish enough to say that it is non-existent because it is slight to my ears. I certainly won't berate those capable of better aural discernment.

Oh, and Guitarcapo is a bully as well as an ass.

• Members

This thread should have been locked long ago, when it first degenerated into a pissing match. Personal attacks are not tolerated in the political forum - they certainly have no place in AG.

Jon, if you're watching, this is what I was referring to.

• Members

This thread should have been locked long ago, when it first degenerated into a pissing match. Personal attacks are not tolerated in the political forum - they certainly have no place in AG.

Jon, if you're watching,
this
is what I was referring to.

Just so no one forgets. Guitarcapo has made more than his share of unprovoked personal attacks against other members of this forum. I'll not resort to quoting.

But yes, you are correct. Personal attacks have no place here.

• Members

I'll quote, in fact you don't even need to change pages to see:

You seem thick and slow ... If you truly can't grasp this simple concept I feel sorry for you ... I think you're just getting owned in an argument and you're not really that obtuse. It's fun watching you squirm in the corner you've painted yourself into. Don't worry I'm not frustrated by your attempts at trying to now appear silly because your arguments are failing.

This is nearly always the type of post he makes immediately after one of his "in-depth explanations" has been shot down. He's not even talking about bridgepins anymore, it's a contest to see who's "owned" and "squirming" and how "thick and slow" and delusional you are.

Between his generosity, romantic mannerism and bi-daily softcore thumbnail avatars, his wife must be a lucky woman (assuming she exists).

• Members

Laughs - to clear up any brewing misconceptions, I will now paraphrase Sami's original remark, so that her meaning is more clear.

"The Women on the forum will stay. But Guitarcapo is a {censored}, and he needs to go."

Please note that this is not my comment, I just felt obliged to point out her intent.

• Members
Since you did not grasp Dak's original comment, I will put it into simpler terms.

A person who fights tooth and nail to discredit materials as nonfunctional and therefore unworthy, is quite duplicitous when they introduce other nonfunctional material into their art. They demean their own own art by allowing simple profit to override conviction.

Even Simpler:

You make yourself look silly and self serving by offering materials for profit when you fight so hard against materials which do not turn a profit for you.

Even Simpler:

You damage your credibility as a Luthier by your childish rants.

Even Simpler:

You're an ass

:lol::lol::lol:

+1

• Members

Jon, if you're watching,
this
is what I was referring to.

I agree. This thread has brought out the worse in some around here.

• Members

This thread has brought out the worse in some around here.

Exactly my point - no one individual is at fault here. It's become a recurring problem, and longtime members who should know better are allowing themselves to be drawn into it. It's dragging down the board, and been at least a contributing factor to many good people leaving HCAG.

And that's why the thread should be locked - it wouldn't be directed at anyone in particular, just the general stupidity of the thread.

• Members

Exactly my point - no one individual is at fault here. It's become a recurring problem, and longtime members who should know better are allowing themselves to be drawn into it. It's dragging down the board, and been at least a contributing factor to many good people leaving HCAG.

And that's why the thread should be locked - it wouldn't be directed at anyone in particular, just the general stupidity of the thread.

I disagree. Individuals are at fault here. Look back at the beginnings of this thread. Things were peaceful enough here until TelesRock and Guitarcapo declared their absolute authority and started calling names. And this is not the first time it's happened either.

I don't recall too much call for locking the thread when Guitarcapo attacked another of our respected resident luthiers a while back. Shall I do a search or two to find the threads?

Yes, there are a number of members here who are fed up with this crap.

• Members

Do you not grasp the fact that there are plastic pins that look just like pins made from ebony, bone and other materials and are virtually undetectable as being plastic? Or, maybe in your infinite wisdom you choose to ignore that was well. So, it's still just bling, isn't it, Plastic pins with faux pearl dots or ebony pins with faux pearl dots? I'm sure that with your eagle eyes you can easily discern the difference from across the room.
:rolleyes:

Of course between the two of us, we know everything there is to know. You know everything except one thing and I know that....

A gold plated watch looks just like a solid gold watch. People will prefer the solid gold one. Are you really that thick that you don't get why this is?

I'm thinking you're not. But just in case I'll let you know it has nothing to do with a watch's ability to tell time...or someone's ability to tell by looking at the watch from "across the room"

Man. Just give it up. Stick a fork in your argument because it's done.

• Members
Yes, but it is safe to assume that it is below anyone's differential threshold given how small the physical change is. There is a larger physical change on a guitar when you change the bridge pins than when you throw a sugar cube in a pool. And doesn't the fact that so many people claim to here a difference and that they tend to hear the same differences indicate something to you? That perhaps just because you can't hear something doesn't mean it doesn't exist?

Where's the proof in your theories that the sugar cube isn't detectable? Have you ever even tried the experiment? How can you say that there is a larger change in a guitar? By what amount? Is it some amount that you measured? Show us the math. If I say I taste the sugar cube how can you say I don't?:wave:

• Members

Okay, lets face it. Guitarcapo is the final authority on bridge pins, nuts, saddles, and tonewoods. He knows it all, and has the terrible burden of trying to set the rest of us poor slobs straight

Guitarcapo is the Howard Roark of the luthier profession.

This acoustic guitar forum should be renamed the Guitarcapo bridge pin, nut, saddle, and tonewood information forum. (or perhaps
mis
-information forum)

Good God.
:facepalm:

Sarcasm is the last refuge when you've lost the argument I always say.

I'll accept your white flag and move on.

You have to admit I offered solid explanations on how an acoustic guitar functions, fascinating experiment ideas, celebrity endorsements, and relevant analogies.

They certainly were more entertaining and informative than personal anecdotes, hearsay, and venom. Really. Have fun with your bridge pins, guys.

Life's too short to get bitter.

Archived