Got some ebony bridge pins for my Alvarez

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

A long time ago, on a site far away, a really (and I mean really) good guitar player convinced me that you can't detune and then retune a string and expect it to sound the same. Try it and see if you hear the difference.

Um, the proper procedure to tune a string is to drop the string below the intended pitch (detune) and bring it up to pitch. :cop:

So, in my mind, if your really good guitar player is correct in his assumption one would never be able to tune their guitar because the stirngs could not be tuned to one another.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This thread:

It's the gift that keeps on giving!

Indeed ..

Welcome to the Grand illusion

Come on in and see what's happening

Pay the price, get your tickets for the show

The stage is set, the band starts playing

Suddenly your heart is pounding

Wishing secretly you were a star.

But don't be fooled by the radio

The TV or the magazines

They show you photographs of how your life should be

But they're just someone else's fantasy

So if you think your life is complete confusion

Because you never win the game

Just remember that it's a Grand illusion

And deep inside we're all the same.

We're all the same...

• Members
When you offer up information and get names and personal attacks thrown back at you in the name of reasonable debate...nothing's left to say but:

"whatever"

:wave:

Information has been offered up many times on this forum. You can't expect a positive reaction when you try to cram your views down everyone's throat.

Whatever.

Yes, Guitarcapo is an ass.

• Members

And you have yet to prove your original premise, which was that bridge pins, tuners, tonewoods, etc have no effect on a guitar's tone or sound, yet you insist in continuing this bull{censored}.

Why should he prove it? He can just quote luthiers who completely disagree with him and pretend they agree with him.

Yes,

Actual luthiers: "They make a small difference in tone but are primarily a matter of aesthetics"

and

Guitarcapo: "They make no difference whatsoever, you're delusional, I pwned u noob, nuts and bridgepins are metaphysically immune to vibration"

...are completely opposite opinions.

• Members

Why should he prove it? He can just quote luthiers who completely disagree with him and pretend they agree with him.

Yes,

Actual luthiers: "They make a small difference in tone but are primarily a matter of aesthetics"

and

Guitarcapo: "They make no difference whatsoever, you're delusional, I pwned u noob, nuts and bridgepins are metaphysically immune to vibration"

...are completely opposite opinions.

That GC isn't cherry-picking his quotes is commendable.

That you chose to ignore the guotes that agreed with him is not.

• Members

I don't want to seem too argumentative, but Gc has insisted all along that bridge pins have no noticeable effect at all on tone or sound. The fact that some luthiers say yes, and some say no, fails to support his argument.

• Members

None of those luthiers (that I saw anyway, maybe I missed one) said people who hear a difference are delusional/retarded. They said the difference is very subtle and minor and much less important than other factors (duh).

From what I see GC has abandoned his original view that they make no difference whatsoever due to laws of physics he invented and that anyone who hears a difference is set to "be owned" by him. He's told me I was "delusional" for hearing a change of nut material as well because "vibration doesn't happen to the nut". I'm convinced any guitars he makes are as pleasant to listen to as his posts are to read.

However, he's reluctant to admit he was wrong after insulting people and feigning expertise for so long, so it was probably easier to gradually abandon his indefensible opinion to save face.

Either way that's my final post regarding this... 3 is 2 too many when it's about about bridgepins

• Members
Nothing really to contribute here...I just attempt to play the guitar and don't know anything about bridge-pins except that they function to help hold the string tight. I just can't decide if I like black colored ones or white ones better...
:confused:

Same here, mate. I'm also now becoming alarmed that the perceived tonal difference of my Ovation Applause compared to my other guitars may be due, not to the plastic bowl as I had hitherto believed, but to the fact that it has no bridge pins at all!

Bugger!?!?! :facepalm:

• Members
Does anyone really give a {censored}???

BigAl :poke:

Yes and I'm so straightened out by the outstanding amount of information in this thread that I'e just fiteed brass pins to my 6 and I don't know if they've changed the tone but they sure do look nice!:bor:

• Members
Same here, mate. I'm also now becoming alarmed that the perceived tonal difference of my Ovation Applause compared to my other guitars may be due, not to the plastic bowl as I had hitherto believed, but to the fact that it has no bridge pins
at all
!

Bugger!?!?!
:facepalm:

The Breedlove I have has no pins. I'm masslessly awash in the sea of voiceless anonymity with no recourse but to purchase a set of pins (ebony with MOP dots,BTW), cut off their little round heads and glue them on. It's either that or lead laminate.

(You do know it's really that plastic bowl, right?)

• Members

I swapped out an ebony pin on the low E for a plastic one. I recorded before and after then swapped back to the ebony and again recorded. Couldn't tell any difference but I'm only using a cheap Nady USB mic but I now tend to believe that at least with ebony and plastic there is not much if any difference.

Wish someone would offer up some test results just out of curiousity but doesn't really matter ... carry on.

• Members

I swapped out an ebony pin on the low E for a plastic one. I recorded before and after then swapped back to the ebony and again recorded. Couldn't tell any difference but I'm only using a cheap Nady USB mic but I now tend to believe that at least with ebony and plastic there is not much if any difference.

Wish someone would offer up some test results just out of curiousity but doesn't really matter ... carry on.

For pity's sake, someone already has done the tests and put up the results. Go here http://www.thekrashsite.com/hcag/

Click on the Tech Stuff tab and that will take you to the Bridge Pin Test that Freeman Keller did. Listen to it and report back.

• Members

For pity's sake, someone already
has
done the tests and put up the results. Go here

Click on the
Tech Stuff
tab and that will take you to the Bridge Pin Test that Freeman Keller did. Listen to it and report back.

I am aware of the test ... when I listen to Freeman's Pin test I do perceive a difference but after my test I did a recording of Freeman's test (with my cheapy mic. mind you) I ran them back to back so there would be no pause and to my ear I only hear a slight difference on the brass pins. The MP3 upload I did of my recording sounds even less different but I can't say I have any real conviction other than as I stated I don't feel plastic and ebony have any different affect on the tone to any real degree.

• Members
I am aware of the test ... when I listen to Freeman's Pin test I do perceive a difference but after my test I did a recording of Freeman's test (with my cheapy mic. mind you) I ran them back to back so there would be no pause and to my ear I only hear a slight difference on the brass pins. The MP3 upload I did of my recording sounds even less different but I can't say I have any real conviction other than as I stated I don't feel plastic and ebony have any different affect on the tone to any real degree.

Get a hearing aid Ed!

BigAl :lol:

Archived