Got some ebony bridge pins for my Alvarez

DarkHorseJ27

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

JT loses his kudos that were awarded for not contributing. Guitarcapo remains an ass (I personally feel the forum is much nicer place without him). I say 100 pages! The sky is the limit. When any issue is somewhat resolved, we just throw some fire on it!

It seems to me that anyone who who insists on telling another what they can or cannot hear is truly an asshat. Guitarcapo would possibly have kept some credibility if he were a true luthier, or even a true Doctor. He desperately needs the validation of others respecting his opinion and seeks that validation through false credentials and airs of self importance.

Wonder what he is compensating for? Totally dominated at home by his spouse? Unable find validation in the real world? Something more personal perhaps?

Oh well, carry on. I am on briefly as I have been gigging all night. Off to another gig tomorrow. But I will check in later in the day Saturday (or possibly Sunday). Should be up to 40 pages by then, and no one will be speaking to anyone else.

Did I mention Guitarcapo is an ass?

And JT, sit this one out...

• Members

If we had to submit our bona-fides as guitarists to this same level of scrutiny, there wouldn't be a player on here. ;-)

Toto, with all due respect, I think your personal attacks wrt career, credentials and home life are way out of line.

So what if he's a lense grinder with a guitar making habit? IMO GC knows more abt guitars than most posters on here. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

I hope this doesn't get anyone else pissed-off at me. Ya gotta remember, I'm only in it for the rosewood. ;)

• Members

Does anyone seriously think this is a thread about bridge pins?

I think it was about bridge pins for about twelve seconds, at which point it was hijacked and converted to a thread about how "My credentials > your senses, and my senses > your credentials, and if you don't observe what I observe then you are a {censored}ing imbecile."

FWIW, and it is worth about a gram of rhino {censored}, I mostly like bone pins. Why? Because they are mother{censored}in' shiny, yo.

The faint, fickle music of chance
Took a woman I knew for a dance
Having purchased a duck
Quote: "To bring me good luck!"
She was hit by a van. The duck lived.

Ditka.bmp

• Members

I was never in favor of abortion rights, until now. :facepalm:

Guitarcapo, (TelesRock, nekoro) enough of you. Obviously, you have too much time on your hands.

Jasmine Tea, (70>0, Bitterpills), you are just plain wierd. I do hope they get your meds adjusted.

I have no control over who is in this "forum", nor the post content. The one thing I do have control over, is if I choose to continue to post here or not. My choice is not. :wave:

• Members

I sat on my guitar. The additional mass did not change the tone of the guitar appreciably. After eating a spaghetti and sausage dinner, there was a slight change in tone that was hearable by my ears. The guitar became higher pitched, possibly because it also became flatter. It is now a thin line. Further, I contacted twenty luthiers at random and asked if there is a perceptable difference in the sound if I eat hot sausage or sweet sausage. Those that replied stated that the hot sausage would creat a more windy sound. So there. None of you know sh*t!

BigAl :poke:

• Members

Anyone who is offering an opinion on whether changing bridge pins can or cannot noticeably change the tone and/or sustain who has not actually listened to Freeman Keller's bridge pin test on the Annex is completely full of crap. Theories about why they might or why they can't are all fine and dandy but they are no substitute for a real-life demonstration.

If you haven't gone to the Annex and listened to the bridge pin test and you are still offering up your priceless wisdom, you really need to do some self-examination.

• Members

Nothing really to contribute here...I just attempt to play the guitar and don't know anything about bridge-pins except that they function to help hold the string tight. I just can't decide if I like black colored ones or white ones better...:confused:

oohh..that and just trying to keep the thread alive...:snax:

• Members

Bah, my presence on the thread has'nt made a nick in it. I was however, proven right on an important point, somewhere back there.

I'll post when and where I want to. Maybe you aught to sit it out, tot?

Yeah I gotta admit you nailed it regarding Guitarcapo, but ONLY Guitarcapo. Lighten up.

• Members

Anyone who is offering an opinion on whether changing bridge pins can or cannot noticeably change the tone and/or sustain who has not actually listened to Freeman Keller's bridge pin test on the Annex is completely full of crap. Theories about why they might or why they can't are all fine and dandy but they are no substitute for a real-life demonstration.

If you haven't gone to the Annex and listened to the bridge pin test and you are still offering up your priceless wisdom, you really need to do some self-examination.

This is a comment that makes the most scientific sense up 'til now. Any scientist will tell you that no matter how beautiful your theory is, that if it doesn't match with experimental data it should go in the bin.

• Members

Does anyone seriously think this is a thread about bridge pins?

I think it was about bridge pins for about twelve seconds, at which point it was hijacked and converted to a thread about how "My credentials > your senses, and my senses > your credentials, and if you don't observe what I observe then you are a {censored}ing imbecile."

First of all I must admit I'm a dumb SOB because I've pretty much read this entire lame-donkey-ass-POS thread. Second of all, I have to say Knockwood, you've hit it dead square on the nose. Third, this seems to be rather common around here lately. Fourth, who really gives a crap if dude likes plastic or ebony or brass or bone, or pinless?

All of my acoustics have the same bridge pins that came in them when I bought. I ain't changing unless I lose or somehow break one.

RT1

• Members

A long time ago, on a site far away, a really (and I mean really) good guitar player convinced me that you can't detune and then retune a string and expect it to sound the same. Try it and see if you hear the difference.

Next take two copies of the exact same recording and post them here as examples of different pins. I guarantee you you'll get folks (good folks) who swear they hear a difference.

A smarter someone could take this a lot further with a bunch of scientific sounding jargon, but I'm not even gonna fake it. I doubt it'd matter anyway. If you found the tests convincing, that's good enough... for you. Me, I found they re-enforced my belief in what that really (seriouly, really) good player told me. Anything you do to a string will change the sound.

This all leads to my next request. Everyone who hasn't posted music to the Annex should submit samples of their playing for the next twenty pages or so, that way I could get a better idea of who to listen to. That'd be greeaaat. Okthxbai! :wave:

• Members
I have no control over who is in this "forum", nor the post content. The one thing I do have control over, is if I choose to continue to post here or not. My choice is not.
:wave:

I am truly sorry to hear this Stringer. I'd been looking forward to crossing swords on our next installment of The Relic Wars. Maybe I'll post you a PM so you can come back to scoff at my love for fake mojo. :)
Be well, do good work. Live long and proffer.

Archived