Got some ebony bridge pins for my Alvarez

DarkHorseJ27

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tonal impact:

Ditka > Bridge Pins > Fingerboard Material > Heelcap Material > Headplate Veneer > Guitar

hey dude, who ever the hell you are [or "think" you are], are you telling me that I can't tell the difference in heelcaps?

You are totally full of YOU-KNOW-WHAT.

I swapped out all my heelcaps for the fossilized kneecaps extracted from the 12 apostles. My guitars sound heavenly now.

In fact, they sound so good, I'm thinking of taking up guitar lessons just to prove it to you dimwitted, dingbatted, dolts. Are you listening? :poke:

• Members
Galabar nailed it!
:thu:
I was going to stay out of this fish fry, but this man deserves a cigar.

Bridge pins of different weights, will alter the mass of the bridge, changing the impedance of the bridge, and resulting in a change of the top's resonance. Thus resulting in tonal change.

Example: Stock Martin Ebony Bridge: weight = 36.0 grams

6 Stock Plastic Bridge Pins @ 3.1 grams each = 18.6 grams

Total stock bridge/pin weight = 54.6 grams

Substituting 6 Ebony bridge pins @ 4.54 grams each = 27.24 grams

Our Stock Martin Ebony Bridge: weight = 36.0 grams

New total bridge/pin weight = 63.24 grams

Difference in bridge/pin weight from stock: = + 8.84 grams

Not a huge difference, but a perceptable difference just the same.

By the way, every part we put in a guitar get's measured and weighed like this.

So there you have it!!
:wave:

With information like this, staying out of it was the worse thing you could do.

Guitarcapo made this argument too, including suggesting attaching coins or fishing weights to the bridge for expedience and convenience in testing. At the same time, though, he also implored that the bridge pins had no affect.

Assuming this information is accurate (and I'm in no position to dispute it :)), there is no disputing a difference is made. Whether it's perceptible or not will always be in dispute.

• Members
Galabar nailed it!

Bridge pins of different weights, will alter the mass of the bridge, changing the impedance of the bridge, and resulting in a change of the top's resonance. Thus resulting in tonal change.

So there you have it!!

That's my take on it too. Simple physics. :thu:

Maybe not just overall mass, but the center of mass too. Consider if you cut the tops off of the bridge pins and glued half inch steel balls to the tops of the pins. Now you've changed the center of mass of the pins. Might have an effect on tone. It would definitely look wild. We could be on to something here. :D

• Members

I suspect that, in addition to weight, the density of the material may have some bearing. In spite of Gc's ramblings about how vibrations stop at the saddle, this is not so. My source on this is an engineering background and a knowledge of wave behavior. Any slide or dobro player knows that they need to use their hand to mute the string in back of the slide to get the purest tone. This is empirical proof that the string section in back of the termination will vibrate.

The ball of the string is held in pace by the bridgepin, and will sit wedged into position with the bridge plate on one side and the bridgepin on the other.

So my belief is that the ball is transmitting its vibrations to the guitar through both the bridgepin and the bridge plate. Like the saddle then, the sound will be affected by the material characteristics of the bridgepin since it is a transfer medium.

But - this is not proven, it is just my belief. But if you walk through the termination system, as I just did, it is a logical conclusion based upon solid physics.

I expect that the weight of the bridgepins is the more significant, but not the only, contributor.

• Members
That's my take on it too. Simple physics.

Maybe not just overall mass, but the center of mass too. Consider if you cut the tops off of the bridge pins and glued half inch steel balls to the tops of the pins. Now you've changed the center of mass of the pins. Might have an effect on tone. It would definitely look wild. We could be on to something here.
:D

:eek::facepalm:

• Members

I suspect that, in addition to weight, the density of the material may have some bearing. In spite of Gc's ramblings about how vibrations stop at the saddle, this is not so. My source on this is an engineering background and a knowledge of wave behavior. Any slide or dobro player knows that they need to use their hand to mute the string in back of the slide to get the purest tone. This is empirical proof that the string section in back of the termination will vibrate.

The ball of the string is held in pace by the bridgepin, and will sit wedged into position with the bridge plate on one side and the bridgepin on the other.

So my belief is that the ball is transmitting its vibrations to the guitar through both the bridgepin and the bridge plate. Like the saddle then, the sound will be affected by the material characteristics of the bridgepin since it is a transfer medium.

But - this is not proven, it is just my belief. But if you walk through the termination system, as I just did, it is a logical conclusion based upon solid physics.

I expect that the weight of the bridgepins is the more significant, but not the only, contributor.

Any vibration energy being fed by the ball-end, i think would be miniscule. Density of any bridge pin, would just either increase, or decrease the bridge mass.

I worked on these questions for 7 years, when i was designing our low-mass pinless bridge. Looking for different approaches to the problems, and this agrees with acoustic coupling and damping theories.

• Members

So can Gary Palmer come back now? I miss him...

You'd have to ask Gary, but he got pretty fed up with the constant bickering, and derisive statements made to him here.

I did too, that's why I hardly post here anymore.

I'm just stating the true facts, in order to put this fire out.

• Members

Your field work is far superior to my theoretical musings. I can see that there is a near certainty that the ball end end would transmit some energy via the bridgepin, but I am wholly unable to quantify. Your field work has done that.

Thanks for your clarification!

• Members

Your field work is far superior to my theoretical musings. I can see that there is a near certainty that the ball end end would transmit some energy via the bridgepin, but I am wholly unable to quantify. Your field work has done that.

Thanks for your clarification!

Totamus, I am certain there is some interaction with the ball end, but the energy being imparted by it is too miniscule to measure at this point. After all, it is all a system.

• Members
Galabar nailed it!

So there you have it!!

Thank you so much for this info. It clarifies a lot of things. Maybe some of the would be luthiers will finally understand. I, too, wish both you and Gary Palmer would come back to the forum on a regular basis. It's hard to believe that a thread could get this long just because a guy put new bridge pins on his git!

BigAl :thu:

• Members

Thank you so much for this info. It clarifies a lot of things. Maybe some of the would be luthiers will finally understand. I, too, wish both you and Gary Palmer would come back to the forum on a regular basis. It's hard to believe that a thread could get this long just because a guy put new bridge pins on his git!

BigAl

Many may look at this thread as having no value, but some things got accomplished.

The bad:

There's been some insults thrown around. There's probably some new additions to ignore lists. There's probably a few members who won't be posting as much now. There's probably a few members who won't be back. HCAG got some bad press.

The good:

There's been more or less of an agreement that bridge pins make some difference in sound, albeit a small difference, maybe. A charlatan or two who were claiming to be authorities on guitars have been exposed. Maybe that charlatan won't be taken so seriously from now on. Maybe that charlatan will learn something from this. Maybe I learned something from this. Maybe someone else learned something from this. Maybe not.

Life goes on at HCAG.

• Members

"More or less - some - small - maybe." ;)

BP, I like to think of myself as one of the "we," but even having read the whole trainwreck, the only conclusion I'd agree with would be the last one. Life goes on.

• Members

Well, Bridgepin theory aside - I have been pretty entertained by this thread. I especially liked the part where the Emperor was wearing no clothes. Nazi's, health care, a new romance with Krash, painted capos, sugar cubes in swimming pools, Sami rocking on an Electric, Misha inviting us for drinks, real diamonds vs manmade, the list just never ends.

Truly the Seinfeld of threads.

Oh, and Guitarcapo is an ass

• Members

Any vibration energy being fed by the ball-end, i think would be miniscule. Density of any bridge pin, would just either increase, or decrease the bridge mass.

I worked on these questions for 7 years, when i was designing our low-mass pinless bridge. Looking for different approaches to the problems, and this agrees with acoustic coupling and damping theories.

I haven't spent 7 years on this question. Only 5 minutes googling, in fact. :)

It seems that there are two factors at play here: mass of the bridge and the resonance frequency of the bridge. And it appears that the materials affecting the resonance frequency are the more important factor.

In studies of "Master" violins, they found that bridges with the widest range of resonance frequencies in the 1.5-4KHz band had the largest effect on sound output over the entire frequency range tested.

So choose your bridge pins based on their natural resonance frequencies. I think you need eigenvectors to calculate this. :)

• Members

I believe the resonance would be the entire termination system, including the bridgepins. So their specific resonance is not important, but the degree to which their mass affects the overall termination system resonance does.

• Members

I believe the resonance would be the entire termination system, including the bridgepins. So their specific resonance is not important, but the degree to which their mass affects the overall termination system resonance does.

That's a perfectly good hypothesis. Now go forth and test it. ;)

My hypothesis is that choosing bridge pins made of the same material as the bridge (e.g., ebony pins for an ebony bridge) will color the sound the *least*.

So if you want to color the sound, experiment with materials that are different than the bridge material in order to extend the range of resonant frequencies of the bridge.

Archived