OT: It's been a sad afternoon, Peeps -

Terry Allan Hall

• Members

Very bummed tonight...the older of my Great Danes, my beloved Bridgette, who I've shared my home w/ almost 11 of her nearly 13 years (a very ripe old age for Great Danes!) woke up this morning in great pain from her arthritis...gave her baby aspirin wrapped in cheese (which usually helps her to get around comfortably, as a rule), but she still didn't move around much.

Towards lunch time, I heard her crying and trying to rise...her hips had gone out (Great Danes are prone to hip dysplacia) and it became obvious that it had become Time to make a decision...called our vet and asked if I could come in and get something to help her make the 14-mile journey to the clinic painlessly, but our vet assured me that there was nothing that wouldn't make it an agonizing experience, so it was agreed that she's stay here at her home...the vet told me that she would come out as soon as a horse she was watching over birthed, but that that might be late tonight or in the morning.

It'd've be wrong to make her continue in agony for at least several more hours, so I carried Bridgette out to her favorite sunning spot, a large flat piece of limestone, near the studio/barn, a place that always warmed in the sun very much to her satisfaction, then went back inside for the shotgun...we sat together and I stroked her head and told her how much I appreciated how she'd brightened my life w/ her company, and I fed her some ham, a treat she never grew tired off, and then I gently hugged her and wished her a safe trip onto her next incarnation, and then I did her that One Last Kindness. :(

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh man, I just got up off the floor with my 8 and a half year old black lab...Gunner. He's been all mine since the 8th week.

So sorry for you Terry. I love dogs more than people.

When it's time, it's time. Time sucks.

Your dog is now in puppy heaven running with the big dogs. And hopefully getting a piece of ham once in a while.

You run on up ahead ole boy. I'll catch up to ya later.

So sad.

• Members

Wow, Terry, I don't know how you did it. I know it was an act of kindness. I could never "pull the trigger" myself, I am such a wimp.

God Bless you and your long time friend and companion. I know how much it hurts to lose them. In fact, I'm getting all wet-eyed thinking about my last dog.... :cry:

• Members
Very bummed tonight...the older of my Great Danes, my beloved Bridgette, who I've shared my home w/ almost 11 of her nearly 13 years (a very ripe old age for Great Danes!) woke up this morning in great pain from her arthritis...gave her baby aspirin wrapped in cheese (which usually helps her to get around comfortably, as a rule), but she still didn't move around much.

Towards lunch time, I heard her crying and trying to rise...her hips had gone out (Great Danes are prone to hip dysplacia) and it became obvious that it had become Time to make a decision...called our vet and asked if I could come in and get something to help her make the 14-mile journey to the clinic painlessly, but our vet assured me that there was nothing that wouldn't make it an agonizing experience, so it was agreed that she's stay here at her home...the vet told me that she would come out as soon as a horse she was watching over birthed, but that that might be late tonight or in the morning.

It'd've be wrong to make her continue in agony for at least several more hours, so I carried Bridgette out to her favorite sunning spot, a large flat piece of limestone, near the studio/barn, a place that always warmed in the sun very much to her satisfaction, then went back inside for the shotgun...we sat together and I stroked her head and told her how much I appreciated how she'd brightened my life w/ her company, and I fed her some ham, a treat she never grew tired off, and then I gently hugged her and wished her a safe trip onto her next incarnation, and then I did her that One Last Kindness.
:(

oh man that's hard to hear. our pups become our family and when we outlive them it doesn't feel correct, even though we know that is the way it is meant to be.

my respect to you for your love and my best regaqrds for you and your family. it's gonna be hard to sleep tonight but please go there as she is waiting to say thank you for the whole thing, this afternoon and all of those years.

peace brother hall, peace be with ya :cry:

• Members

So sorry about Bridgette, Terry. Circle of life and all, but damn... dogs are good people.

I had the vet come to our place to put Caesar down 3 years ago, held him in my arms as she put in the injection, then cried like a baby. We planted a dogwood bush over him, and it is flourishing in the yard.

Mojo sent.

• Members
:cry:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

:cry:

• Members

I cried like a baby the first time I had to hold one while the vet gave her the final injection. She lifted her tired old head and licked my hand until she fell asleep.

I love dogs, but this has got to be the hardest thing about them. I almost didn't get another after that. Unless in an emergency, I don't think I could do the deed myself.

Condolences, Terry, and bittersweet kudos for doing the right thing for her.

Archived