Whalebot

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Do you type emails to your Momma on that
{censored}ing
keyboard? :poke:

If I were typing {censored}ing emails to my dead mother, that might be cause for some {censored}ing concern. Now that I'm a {censored}ing orphan, I can use the {censored}ing F-word with impunity. I may even stay up late on a {censored}ng school night. Muahahahahaaaaaa!

• Members
If I were typing {censored}ing emails to my dead mother, that might be cause for some {censored}ing concern. Now that I'm a {censored}ing orphan, I can use the {censored}ing F-word with impunity.
I may even stay up late on a {censored}ng school night. Muahahahahaaaaaa!

Well, IMO, it's far better to stay up late f***ing on a school night than stay up late on a f***ing school night. ;)

• Members
It may not be as funny to others as it is to me.

First of all I think it's funny how my original statement got turned into an argument I never made. I never said a multi-piece neck could not be made from thin neck blanks. Gary Palmer topped it all off. I agreed with every word he said but folks (including him) still thought I was arguing with him.

Second of all I love the piling on and gang mentality that springs up almost as much as the self righteous posters that point the perceived "wrongs" in any argumentative thread.

Third, I never professed to being an expert about anything. I repeated what I read.

Look to yourself before pointing that stubby finger of your's.

Always try to cite your sources unless providing first hand information, because all to often a great deal is lost in translation between source and the person writing a book/article in a Chinese whispers kind of way.

You seriously need to re-read you offerings before continuing in any way, shape, or form when it boils down to guita construction methods, because you're so wrong on all too many levels. Primarily a number of assumptions concerning detail surrounding neck construction, but also the disdainful way you responded to accurate information and triggered much of the initial heat in this thread.

Your's and other's responses and attitude toward Guitarstringer were and are totally unjustified and he deserves a damned sight more respect than you've proven willing to give him credit for. Especially since you miss-read the intent behind his initial remarks concerning neck construction and chose to dive into the situation feet first. He wasn't dismissive of you, but he did become so once you chose to adopt your idiot stance.

If you expect to be able to teach kids how to play guitar you should honestly review your own attitude toward being provided accurate information by first hand sources Will you be diving down your pupil's necks if their perspective or knowledge doesn't agree with your own?

Just saying. :thu:

• Members

Just saying.
:thu:

Hudman did make a legitimate point, in suggesting that the most economical means of producing a neck (from a thin slab of wood) would necessitate the use of string trees to make the instrument viable.

This isn't academia... sources are welcomed, but to cite them for every point that is made is simply not necessary. I appreciate your input as a luthier, but as this isn't MMF, your opinion counts just as much as anyone else's here. Good points are lauded; silly ones ridiculed, in the spirit of a public forum.

Avid guitarists can come from multiple backgrounds... be it history, business or plain common sense. I don't see why luthiers need to take an elitist stance to impose ethos on a predominantly player's forum.

Perhaps we should place more importance about how we can improve and increase our utility from playing, rather than bitch about knowledge of such design minutiae that yields infinitesimally marginal gains - to us players anyway.

• Members

Hudman did make a legitimate point, in suggesting that the most economical means of producing a neck (from a thin slab of wood) would necessitate the use of string trees to make the instrument viable.

This isn't academia... sources are welcomed, but to cite them for every point that is made is simply not necessary. I appreciate your input as a luthier, but as this isn't MMF, your opinion counts just as much as anyone else's here. Good points are lauded; silly ones ridiculed, in the spirit of a public forum.

Avid guitarists can come from multiple backgrounds... be it history, business or plain common sense. I don't see why luthiers need to take an elitist stance to impose ethos on a predominantly player's forum.

Perhaps we should place more importance about how we can improve and increase our utility from playing, rather than bitch about knowledge of such design minutiae that yields infinitesimally marginal gains - to us players anyway.

Play the damned things? Good idea. May I suggest everyone download the free Skype software, get cheap headsets w/boom mic and a cheapo webcam and then we can all play live on the forum (conference call) and discuss song nuances in real time with video illustrations. That would be a very cool open mike.

• Members

You nailed it, Gary. I've been reading this mess with the same feeling.

Chuck: when a source is cited as many times as Hud has done, some morsel of that source would go a long way towards validating his point(s).

It's like the "Al Gore invented the internet" crap. I never read/heard his actual quote before I heard the detractors say "Al Gore invented the internet". But I didn't believe it either until I read the actual speech and how he said what he said. The blanket statement that he said he invented the internet was just not true. But if I just believed it because someone told me that's what they heard him say it....

As a professional programmer, I get a little annoyed when someone whose used a computer for a long time tries to tell me what I know or don't know. It would be like me telling a welder how to do his job because I've soldered before. We're all that way, to varying degrees.

Hud's repeated assertions that he's read it before reminds of the DirectTV commercial, "Let me tell you something I learned from a book about business school".

• Members

Hud's repeated assertions that he's read it before reminds of the DirectTV commercial, "Let me tell you something I learned from a book about business school".

Gee, I guess trusting Hud would be almost like assuming the assertions of some guy - whom you've never met and whose instruments you've never played - about his expertise are true... um... because he's repeatedly told you so on the internet...

For God's sake, all Hud said is that he'd read X article stating Y. Buy it or don't, but what is the sense in talking to him like he's an idiot? Whether he is wrong or right. Whether or not he can recall all the specific details of the publication. I don't think I can count the number of times I have personally prefaced informal comments with, "I think I read somewhere that..." or "I've heard..." Should I forever leave such comments out of any future discussion until/unless I've retraced all of my life's reading and can pinpoint the exact sources? Hud isn't writing an article for the New England Journal of Medicine. He's talking Strat trivia on a {censored}ing internet forum. And my personal read was that he was addressed in quite a smarmy, insulting tone for absolutely no reason whatsoever. To some, evidently the use of the word "asshole" is more objectionable than someone actually behaving like one.

• Members

I love humans. We've evolved to the point where we're fighting about truth and compassion on the intrawebz rather than doing useful work like hunting, gathering, and procreating.

I'm sure Noah never anticipated this when he put humans on the ark, eh? :)

• Members

Gee, I guess trusting Hud would be almost like assuming the assertions of some guy - whom you've never met and whose instruments you've never played - about his expertise are true... um... because he's repeatedly told you so on the internet...

Good point.

For God's sake, all Hud said is that he'd read X article stating Y. Buy it or don't, but what is the sense in talking to him like he's an idiot? Whether he is wrong or right. Whether or not he can recall all the specific details of the publication. I don't think I can count the number of times I have personally prefaced
informal
comments with, "I think I read somewhere that..." or "I've heard..." Should I forever leave such comments out of any future discussion until/unless I've retraced all of my life's reading and can pinpoint the exact sources?

Another good point. But would you be so unwilling to doubt what you thought you read when conversing with someone with purported knowledge?

Hud isn't writing an article for the
New England Journal of Medicine
. He's talking Strat trivia on a {censored}ing internet forum. And my personal read was that he was addressed in quite a smarmy, insulting tone for absolutely no reason whatsoever. To some, evidently the use of the word "asshole" is more objectionable than someone actually behaving like one.

The initial "insult", if you will, was GS calling Hud's statements conjecture. Smarmy? Maybe. Insulting? It was just his opinion. But the name calling started from there. From my view in the stands, it became a pissing contest between somebody who says they read it somewhere and another who says they've actually built guitars for 35 yrs. Believe who you want, but it was completely unnecessary, and childish, from that point on.

• Members
Your's and other's responses and attitude toward Guitarstringer were and are totally unjustified and he deserves a damned sight more respect than you've proven willing to give him credit for. Especially since you miss-read the intent behind his initial remarks concerning neck construction and chose to dive into the situation feet first. He wasn't dismissive of you, but he did become so once you chose to adopt your idiot stance.

Just saying.

Lost you a little there, Guitar Stringer has a way of posting that smacks of talking down which does get my back up a bit. I'm pretty sure both you are GS are trying to explain the same thing but if you read each of your early posts there is a difference in tone. One is helpful the other is "Let me tell you how it is!".

I

• Members

I'm sure Noah never anticipated this when he put humans on the ark, eh?
:)

Oh good.

I was just thinking this thread has everything in it. Everything except religion.

And now it is truly complete.

It's a veritable cornucopia of characters and subjects, insults and politics, expert witnesses and professional opinions, UFOs, bridge pins and soap boxes.

If this thread was a pizza it would be a 16 inch Supreme.

• Members
Oh good.

I was just thinking this thread has everything in it. Everything except religion.

And now it is truly complete.

It's a veritable cornucopia of characters and subjects, insults and politics, expert witnesses and professional opinions, UFOs, bridge pins and soap boxes.

If this thread was a pizza it would be a 16 inch Supreme.

Nope it's not complete yet. We don't have the Nazis. No internet flame war is complete without the Nazis.

Now here's something I think we can ALL agree on:

I like {censored}ing.:thu:

• Members
Nope it's not complete yet. We don't have the Nazis. No internet flame war is complete without the Nazis.

Now here's something I think we can ALL agree on:

I like {censored}ing.

Wait, we can all agree on the Nazis!? You anti-semite!!!

Archived