WTF are these things called?

Whalebot

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly.

It allows the Fender to get away with using a thinner piece of lumber for their necks. It's a cost saver.
:thu:

I can't say it's a "cost saver" or not. Using flat-sawn wood for a neck, certainly is. I wasn't there when Leo designed them, but Fender is not the only maker to use straight headstocks. It's either string trees or staggered height tuning machines, to get sufficent string down-force at the nut. Some "purists" want nothing else but a straight headstock. Go figure.

• Members

I can't say it's a "cost saver" or not. Using flat-sawn wood for a neck, certainly is. I wasn't there when Leo designed them, but Fender is not the only maker to use straight headstocks. It's either string trees or staggered height tuning machines, to get sufficent string down-force at the nut. Some "purists" want nothing else but a straight headstock. Go figure.

Actually, it's well documented. Leo Fender's goal was to mass produce his guitars and keep them affordable. Part of that was how he designed the neck. Angled headstocks require a thicker slab of lumber if you use a single piece.

• Members

Actually, it's well documented. Leo Fender's goal was to mass produce his guitars and keep them affordable. Part of that was how he designed the neck. Angled headstocks require a thicker slab of lumber if you use a single piece.

The question of what they are called and used for, has been answered. There are many different reasons for doing anything, I gave one explanation. I'll leave it to you Hudman, to conjecture away.

• Members

The question of what they are called and used for, has been answered. There are many different reasons for doing anything, I gave one explanation. I'll leave it to you Hudman, to conjecture away.

I like your conjecture......

No need to be an asshole.

Here's a thought: You may not know everything. Although, it's obvious you think you do.

• Members

I like your conjecture......

No need to be an asshole.

Here's a thought: You may not know everything. Although, it's obvious you think you do.

I have been building guitars for over 37 years, so I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to them. However, I have never been a good judge of character when it comes to pompous asses, such as yourself.

• Members

This.

Be nice, fellas. We all love guitars. With or without string trees, no?

I was fine.

Guitar Stringer chose to be an asshole with his comment.

I called him out for it and I make no apology for doing it. Yes, he builds guitars for a living. That's terrific but he acts like he invented the {censored}ing guitar.

• Members

I have been building guitars for over 37 years, so I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to them. However, I have never been a good judge of character when it comes to pompous asses, such as yourself.

Yes, roll out your resume (again).

I don't give a {censored} what you do for a living, what I said was the truth and not conjecture. It is cheaper to manufacturer a single piece neck with a straight headstock. A single piece neck with a slanted headstock requires a thicker slab of wood.

You've been building guitars for 37 years. That's fantastic. However, that doesn't make everything you say true.

• Members

Yes, roll out your resume (again).

I don't give a {censored} what you do for a living, what I said was the truth and not conjecture. It is cheaper to manufacturer a single piece neck with a straight headstock. A single piece neck with a slanted headstock requires a thicker slab of wood.

You've been building guitars for 37 years. That's fantastic. However, that doesn't make everything you say true.

Give this a thought, you pompous asshole: You were not there when Leo Fender designed his guitars, neither was I. If you want to start calling me names, fine. Bob Taylor also builds his guitars with a thin slab of wood. yet he angles his headstocks.

Know what the {censored} you are talking about, before you dive in. Better yet, why don't you go and give some guitar hero lessons???

Archived