Are Expensive Guitars Really Worth The Money?

revive

• Members
This assumes that I'm only talking about the way it LOOKS (beyond sound quality). Much more to it than that, for me.

I just re-strung my $9.95 pawnshop special that I brought here to Rome. The new strings cost almost as much as the guitar did. It's a very cheaply made all-lam guitar. But I love it, and I love playing it, and years from now it will still be a living breathing memory of this summer. The songs I've written here will live in it (and me) forever.

I wonder--would those songs have come out of a different guitar? I don't think so.

Its neck is warped and without a capo it has crappy action, but also buzzy frets at certain capo settings. In sound quality it is light years away from my 'bird, which is back in Iowa. But I love playing it.

For those interested, I recommend a book by Donald Norman titled "Emotional Design". Keen insights into the surprisingly complex relationship between people and designed things.

It's nice to read a love story,MM, I hope you and your "Rome" git spend many happy years together. This may be my favorite post ever.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
For those interested, I recommend a book by Donald Norman titled "Emotional Design". Keen insights into the surprisingly complex relationship between people and designed things.

I had him as a prof a lonnnng time ago -- good guy, and I think he did a stint at Apple for a while, too.

I form a special bond with guitars that vibrate so much they give me a back massage while I play. :)

• Members
You know what:

There are actually two fine arts involved.

Reading and understanding.

I can't help you, if you have problems with either or both....

Btw: plonk!

Edit: since not all of you are digital natives from the olden days:
plonk

The advent of the ignore list has rendered "plonk" obsolete except for its expressive potential. :thu:

• Members

It's nice to read a love story, MM, I hope you and your "Rome" git spend many happy years together. This may be my favorite post ever.

Thanks pt. This is one amazing city. I've never seen so many street musicians. I haven't busked, exactly, but have played some in Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere, sitting on the fountain steps. Lots of people just hang out there to play or listen or just watch people go by.

SO glad I brought a guitar. Could not live without one.

• Members

In that case, how about a digital piano? Yamaha makes some nice ones with weighted action for $700 or so.

Sort of the other end of the spectrum in terms of tone and action, but it's a lot of fun, holds its value well, and best of all, it only weighs about 50lbs.

Speaking as a much better piano player than I'll probably ever be as a guitarist, I can tell you that what holds true for guitars holds doubly true for pianos.

There are MANY electric pianos out these days that sound every bit as good and have 99% as good a feel as any "real" piano out there. Unless you are classical pianist who performs nightly to sell-out crowds at Carnegie Hall there will be ABSOLUTELY no difference to you other than pure psychology.

My personal experience with acoustic guitars is that with anything much over $1500 you generally are getting 1) Volume 2) Bling 3) Name.

I have never played any of the nonMartinTaylor "upscale" brands (Santa Cruz, Collings, etc) so maybe I would just be totally blown away and change my tune if I were ever lucky enough to play one, but I definitely never played a 3000-4000 Martin, Gibson or Taylor that was that much better than the lower-end all-wood models.

• Members
As where looks is concerned..having seen Willie Nelsons Guitar it isnt the best looking guitar

But hey it does have some of its own style

and he can make it sing fir sure
:)

Yes, but can imagine how much that thing would sell for?? Not exactly an inexpensive guitar..

• Members

I am no pro in fact only been with guitar for approx 1 year

But ive tried out Martins / Taylors in the mths past as well as Yamahas

and Tanglewoods ive found Martins are a very nice sounding guitar
though ive also found recently a Yamaha in store which sounded very nice for the price less than half the price of the martin/taylors

So i reckon every individual has their own ear for sound and eyes for looks
and what suits one..may not suit another

But bargains are out there and i wouldnt go for the name on a headstock for sure..i can go out tomorrow and buy 10 Martins but not fir me
but who needs/wants 10 guitars ? ;)

Actually there was a country song called "The Ten Guitars" a think ?

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think you get a lot for you money from Godin Guitars' Norman, Seagull or Simon & Patrick solid-wood models. Made in Quebec, they are not that easy to find, at least in guitar shops in the USA. The craftsmanship is excellent. I recently bought a new Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro Folk Spruce HG (HG for high gloss), solid spruce top, solid mahogany sides and a smooth 'hog neck with a satin finish. It sounds and plays wonderfully. I bought mine from a store in Canada and with the exchange rate the cost was $600 USD w/shipping, not including case. It sounds better to my ears than my Gibson J-45, but they are two completely different guitars, so comparing them may not be fair. Here's a picture:

37f74735d7ed1e23423da6c13493779e.thumb.jpg.0038f1921d30e0e0fddee9bf9d0cbb74.jpg

• Members

As for the question, I think you can get a good solid-wood acoustic for less than $1000 that sounds as good as Martins or Gibsons costing much more. I still love my Gibson J-45, but my less expensive Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro Folk sounds better to my ears. Here's a review:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/Gear/Reviews/Simon-and-Patrick-Woodland-Pro-Folk-Review

• Members

Personally I think it all depends on the person.

I tell my wife the good stuff starts at 1500-2000 bucks these days.

You'll buy one J200 in your life time and will never look back. Same with a Martin HD 28. or what ever your dream guitar is.

I have been playing mandolin off and on for decades. I'm looking at a new Gibson F5. It's pretty scary to think a 3rd rate player like myself would spring that kind of coin for one, and for such a lil instrument. They sell for over 4 grand now and closer to 5 grand.

Kind of family heirloom stuff. The thing is I have no kids and no one in my family that plays an instrument.

There's some stuff from the upper crust of Martin I just don't care for.

• Members

The most expensive guitar I've ever owned was a Martin D 35 (in 2015 dollars). I owned a Gibson Hummingbird Bozeman Custom back in the early 80's that I paid $650. They were both excellent guitars. I've owned a ton of $250 guitars over the years as well. What I have found is that I played the cheaper guitars with greater abandon and enjoyed them probably more because I was less apprehensive of the damaging them. I'm not quite as apprehensive of my Taylor since I cracked a hole in the side of it on a church pew some years ago. My Yairi is a totally different story. I bought it neglected and damaged in a pawn shop for almost nothing. A little bit of TLC and some well thought out repair work and it is a cannon. The loudest guitar I've ever played, much less owned. Not the least bit afraid of scratching it up cause it's already been there and done that.

Archived