Are Expensive Guitars Really Worth The Money?

revive

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
knockwood, don't hold back; tell us how you really feel.

:rolleyes:

(again: you're my hero)
:thu:

At the moment, my LL6 GAS actually trumps my Goodall GAS - which is kind of convenient when you don't have thousands of dollars. The plan, though, is to get the Yammie asap and save up for a diamond heel cap. :thu:

• Members

I, on the other hand, prefer the strap button as a focal point of price determination.

A touch of a fingernail on this guitar barely registers a note and it decays quickly with little projection/resonance. Same touch on another and it rings loud and long repeating with near-perfect intonation all up the register. Okay, maybe that first guitar's thump will be a good blues box for a player looking specifically for that sound. But, that's the difference so it isn't the common ear the OP is seemingly trying to sell everyone here on. Typical high-end box makers aren't in pursuit of the blues sound but rather a sound that permeates and lasts long after a note is sounded. A blues player probably couldn't care less about that. An old Yamaha FG75 might be his go-to sound and they're around 50-100 bucks in the used market. His argument for his sound will not include boutique instruments and anyone who debates him really is an idiot. But, his preferred genre and sound does not qualify the used Yammie as being as good or better than any of the boutique high-enders. That's the heart of the matter with the OP's statement. He clearly presents an argument that we should all price our ears and skills in compliance with his, or to some weird-ass aural communism he's convinced himself is the way to the truth. Having a pricey guitar doesn't make anyone better but it does have some magic to it. It doesn't necessarily make a cheaper guitar bad either for a player satisfied with that particular guitar. But the blanket argument is flatly false, if not completely weird, and presented by a person who has not qualified himself to make such a statement. All he has done is create a power-of-suggestion thread that's (typically) echoed in the pasture.

• Members

... it isn't the
common ear
the OP is seemingly trying to sell everyone here on. Typical high-end box makers aren't in pursuit of the blues sound but rather a sound that permeates and lasts long after a note is sounded. A blues player probably couldn't care less about that. An old Yamaha FG75 might be his go-to sound and they're around 50-100 bucks in the used market. His argument for his sound will not include boutique instruments and anyone who debates him really is an idiot. But, his preferred genre and sound does not qualify the used Yammie as being as good or better than any of the boutique high-enders. That's the heart of the matter with the OP's statement. He clearly presents an argument that we should all price our ears and skills in compliance with his, or to some weird-ass aural communism he's convinced himself is the way to the truth. Having a pricey guitar doesn't make anyone better but it does have some magic to it. It doesn't necessarily make a cheaper guitar bad either for a player satisfied with that particular guitar. But the blanket argument is flatly false, if not completely weird, and presented by a person who has not qualified himself to make such a statement. All he has done is create a power-of-suggestion thread that's (typically) echoed in the pasture.

Chill out brother... :poke:

If you read my original post carefully, you'd be able to tell I'm not trying to sell any idea or make any assertion. My post was driven by intellectual curiousity, more than anything, and an openness to learn new things.

While I consider myself knowledgible about music and sounds --having been a keyboardist for many years-- I'm brutally aware that I have pretty much zero guitar knowledge. I never professed that I have unfolded the mystery of this art piece called guitar.

With regards to the worthiness of expensive guitars, I came up with several hypothesa but I never asserted which one was right. I even disqualified myself by asking if I'm missing out anything.

I was hoping this thread would be a good educational opportunity for newbies such as myself, to learn from highly skilled & experienced players, such as yourself. I thought you also made some very pointed and thoughtful comments. And I believe my goal has been attained, as this thread has invited some very thoughtful discussions.

• Members

Chill out brother
... :poke:

If you read my original post carefully, you'd be able to tell I'm not trying to sell any idea or make any assertion. My post was driven by intellectual curiousity, more than anything, and an openness to learn new things.

While I consider myself knowledgible about music and sounds --having been a keyboardist for many years-- I'm brutally aware that I have pretty much zero guitar knowledge. I never professed that I have unfolded the mystery of this art piece called guitar.

With regards to the worthiness of expensive guitars, I came up with several hypothesa but I never asserted which one was right. I even disqualified myself by asking if I'm missing out anything.

I was hoping this thread would be a good educational opportunity for newbies such as myself, to learn from highly skilled & experienced players, such as yourself. I thought you also made some very pointed and thoughtful comments. And I believe my goal has been attained, as this thread has invited some very thoughtful discussions.

Respectfully apologize for putting you in the line of fire. This question you posed, and in its various forms, is a fairly frequent visitor here. After a while one removes the humanity and jumps into the trenches.

• Members

Respectfully apologize for putting you in the line of fire. This question you posed, and in its various forms, is a fairly frequent visitor here. After a while one removes the humanity and jumps into the trenches.

No worries mate... I understand that forums are prone to abuses. As they say, it takes a real man to apologize. So apologies accepted, no wrongdoing remembered.

• Members

If you buy a good quality made-in-Asia guitar for say $500 you will be getting a guitar of equal quality of materials and workmanship to a so-called higher end guitar made in the US (or UK or Europe) costing 3 or 4 times that price.

I'll be there to call bull{censored}.

• Members

I won't engage this argument with you again, Garthman, but I will say that when I see you coming into threads making statements like this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by garthman

If you buy a good quality made-in-Asia guitar for say $500 you will be getting a guitar of equal quality of materials and workmanship to a so-called higher end guitar made in the US (or UK or Europe) costing 3 or 4 times that price.

I'll be there to call bull{censored}.

Tom, you can call me whatever you like.

I've been playing guitar a long old time and over the years I've played lots of them from very cheapo laminates through the traditional midrange (Taks, etc) to highend makes like Taylor, Gibson and Martin.

In the Martin range I've played a D16, D18, D28 and a D35. I've played top-end Crafters (and other Asian brands) that match these for quality of materials and workmanship anytime and sound just as good (better IMO - often much brighter and crisper) - they might not have as much MOP bling as the Martins but if you want to spend $$$$ on bling that's fine.

• Members
Tom, you can call me whatever you like.

I didn't call you anything, so don't put words in my mouth.

Your opinion is your opinion. I think it's nonsense. That's the extent of it.

I shouldn't have said bull{censored}. It was a poor choice of words. Sorry.:facepalm:

• Members
I shouldn't have said bull{censored}. It was a poor choice of words. Sorry.
:facepalm:

No problem. And yes, of course it is just my opinion but I'm being as objective as I can.

Throughout my guitar playing life I longed for a Martin - when I could finally afford to buy one I ended up buying my Crafter instead because (IMHO) it blew the Martins I tried in the store (see above) away - and, oh yes, it also saved me

• Members

Melodeous, I respect your opinions very much. But I have to respectfully disagree with your assertion that mediocre players will never be able to tell why an expensive Martin is really better than, say, a $800 Yamaha.

We all know that the sound/tone will be subjective to every ear, but your statement borders on the uppity, no disrespect intended.

I've seen/heard you play (VOMs) and you are better than me. I've also gathered from your posts that you are a very intelligent, thoughtful (as well as thought provoking) and wise man. That's why I was surprised at what I read.

Then again, maybe I misunderstood your point, but that's how it came across to me.

• Members
No problem. And yes, of course it is just my opinion but I'm being as objective as I can.

Throughout my guitar playing life I longed for a Martin - when I could finally afford to buy one I ended up buying my Crafter instead because (IMHO) it blew the Martins I tried in the store (see above) away - and, oh yes, it also saved me

• Members

So the capability of the guitar has nothing to do with the skill of the person playing it during the "tone test". Inneresting...

You're completely off the mark.

A guitar has the same capability no matter who in the world is playing it.

A person's opinion on an expensive guitar has little to nothing to do with their skill level.

There are highly skilled guitar players who do not play super expensive guitars. There are also extremely unskilled players who are willing to spend the money on an expensive guitar.

BE REAL.

All guitars have unlimited capabilities in actuality and different guitars sound better to different people. People are willing to spend a certain amount of money on a guitar depending on a myriad of variables including aesthetics, future value, financial amount, sound, feel, playability, body type, etc. All of these variables are based either on a person's situation in life or their personal opinion. Skill does not factor into a person's decision as whether a guitar is worth a certain price.

If a three chord wonder has the money and likes the idea of having a custom guitar from a well respected luthier he might buy the guitar if the guitar is worth the price in his opinion. If theres a master classical player who is unwilling to go for a super high-end guitar because of financial strain the guitar would simply not be worth it to him.

Opinions on expensive guitars are not based on skill in the least.

• Members
A person's opinion on an expensive guitar has little to nothing to do with their skill level......Opinions on expensive guitars are not based on skill in the least.

Not sure I agree with your statements.

I have an expensive classical guitar for sale. I am an experienced player and fully understand the capabilities of the guitar, it is a top notch instrument with the ability to deliver a large range of timbral variations and enough volume to fill a concert hall. But in order to realize all of that the player must have good technique, especially in the right hand.

http://www.delcamp.net/forum/en/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34350

A person contacted me and was interested in trying the guitar. He came to my house with money in pocket convinced he was going to leave with the guitar. We played guitars for an hour or so. He was between a beginner and intermediate level player, I'd say, his right hand technique was not well developed. The instrument I am selling is superb in every regard (condition, materials, construction, playability, voice, and volume), yet he just could not get a good sound out of it at all.........I can. He left my house not liking the guitar and obviously, not purchasing it. I'd say his opinion of the guitar, which was not very high, was determined 100% completely by his skill level which was also not very high.

The End.

P.S. Anyone want to buy a guitar??? :poke: :cool::D

• Members

...The instrument I am selling is superb in every regard (condition, materials, construction, playability, voice, and volume), yet he just could not get a good sound out of it at all.........I can. ... I'd say his opinion on the guitar, which was not very high, was determined 100% completely by his skill level which was also not very high.

Very powerful example.

Would you say this is true with all (or most?) expensive guitars?

Archived