Gun or Guitar? Desisions,decisons!

KATMAN

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So why have a gun? Some sort of macho-man, cowboy thing?

Not picking on my good friend, but I need to comment.

No need to insult by attempting to tie testosterone driven, megalomaniac motives to everyone who chooses to own a legal form of protection. It is such branding that polarizes disagreeing parties and attempts to marginalize the opposite side.

You believe the world would be a better place if there no weapons. I get it.

I also believe that. But I look around realize that the world is a treacherous place and that, sadly, there are real criminals who will only be stopped by death.

So a responsible citizens has the means to protect himself from home invasion, and also the means to prevent a government from becoming a dictatorship. I feel this is a good thing. Switzerland has had good results with this model.

The problem is that we focus on guns. Guns don't cause crime, but we act as if they do. The noble thought is "Eliminate all the guns and you will have a peaceful society". We have been distracted from the real issues that cause crime. While we are busy bickering about whether or not a citizen should be allowed to have a gun, the real causes of crime spiral out of control.

If all the guns were eliminated magically, you would still have all of the problems. The criminals would simply find other weapons. Shall we ban rocks, bats, kitchen knives, etc?

We allow ourselves to be polarized on this hot-point and become blind to real issues. A cynic might claim that clever politicians intentionally feed us inflammatory rhetoric to keep us at each others throats and to keep from focusing on the massive societal breakdown that produces people ready to kill for profit..

Much easier to keep us arguing about simple sound-bite issues than to provide jobs, safety, education, opportunity. Crime (and the need for guns) would mostly disappear if society provided opportunity.

The issue isn't whether or not guns SHOULD be needed. The issue is whether they actually ARE needed. I have no problem with law abiding citizens owning firearms. Firearm ownership is like a gigantic poll: "Do you believe society adequately provides for your safety?"

Don't blame the poll because you don't like the response.

But what do I know. I just play guitar.

• Members
the highest homocide rates for gun deaths are always in the locations that have the strictest gun laws...

Here in Texas it legal to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle
without restriction. Makes for a more courteous driving experience.

As you know...in Texas, try and rob a corner store with that same weapon and you will do 100 yrs in prison for it if caught. Now that's what I call gun control. :thu:

• Members

You hunt game with handguns?

Actually yes. Ruger MKIII is a very accurate .22lr that is great for squirrel`s/rabbits.

So now that knife related murders/stabbings are WAY up in the UK are you also going after those? Maybe make shovels and hatchets illegal too. Why not bubble-wrap the world?

• Members
Actually yes. Ruger MKIII is a very accurate .22lr that is great for squirrel`s/rabbits.

So now that knife related murders/stabbings are WAY up in the UK are you also going after those? Maybe make shovels and hatchets illegal too. Why not bubble-wrap the world?

Don't forget hammers and screwdrivers. People are killed with them too. Oh my God! Automobiles can be used as a deadly weapons too!

What are we gonna do?! :facepalm:

• Members
the highest homocide rates for gun deaths are always in the locations that have the strictest gun laws...

Hmm, that's an interesting statistic. But can you really blame the higher homocide rates on the difficulty of obtaining handguns? We're talking about urban areas with a {censored}load of problems--poverty, unemployment, gangs, drugs, alcoholism, etc. Do you believe that arming the city of Chicago would bring down the homicide rate? :confused:

Here in Texas it legal to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle without restriction. Makes for a more courteous driving experience.

:lol:

• Members
You are insane. This is the only possible explanation for these comments.
:thu:

:wave: Hey Fretfiend, nice to hear from you! I suspected you'd show up.

Anyway, hows about this: I'll get the dems to back off on gun control--you can have unlimited access to all the firearms of your dreams; in return, you have the republicans legalize pot and gay marriage.

Deal?

• Members
Do you believe that
enacting gun control laws
in the city of Chicago would bring
down
the homicide rate?
:confused::lol:

Perhaps a little, but not much, I'm afraid. I agree that banning guns is not the best approach to the problem of gun violence--which is why I'm not in favor of banning guns. I do think, however, that background checks and assault rifle bans may have some minimal effect, enough to justify a bit of inconvenience.

• Members
Hmm, that's an interesting statistic. But can you really blame the higher homocide rates on the difficulty of obtaining handguns? We're talking about urban areas with a {censored}load of problems--poverty, unemployment, gangs, drugs, alcoholism, etc. Do you believe that arming the city of Chicago would bring
down
the homicide rate?
:confused:

:lol:

Anti Gun Control people always point this out but it's a totally misleading statistic. Gun control laws are strict where the most gun violence happens. The laws are a reaction to the violence not the opposite.

People who believe arming everyone who keep everyone nice an polite and curb crime needs a history course in Frontier America, Dodge City ect. Until they outlawed guns in the streets their murder rate by popular percentage would make Chicago look good.

• Members

Put it this way if guns were not banned outright in the UK

then i know for a fact if guns were so easily available then we in the Uk

would have higher crime

Ban guns outright and crime shall fall partly

Id also say ban the Police fae having guns as innocents have been

killed by them like a Brazilian guy was shot dead in London's underground

by London's Police.. he was completely innocent it was found afterwards

after the paranoid inept police thought he was a bomber

he had been carrying a back-pack at the time and police thinking it was a bomb in his pack just shot the guy Dead after he wouldnt stop walking away when being shouted to stop.

• Members
Out of all the legitimate reasons to own a gun I find this the most unlikely. The gun might statistically have a .0000001% chance of saving a life but they are built to take lives not save them.
As far as preventing theft, I wouldn't shoot a person over my prized Guild F50.
A life is more important then personal possessions. I enjoy going to the range and shooting but I do not delude myself into thinking that one day something is going to happen and I am going grab my gun, get all Jack Bauer and save the day.

Hmmm, Westerly or Corona? :)

• Members

Time to end all the dorm room phony statistics about firearms and crime. Economics professor John Lott, Phd decisively researched the issue and his findings were notable that the presence of firearms reduces crime accross the board. http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/493636.html The problem with all of the dorm room experts is that they quote made up statistics ("You are more likely to get shot with your own guns than shoot an assailant") that are intirinsically impossible to support.

The fact is that the majority of "uses" of a gun for self defense never result in a police report or someone actually being shot. (Virtually ALL criminal shootings are reported to police and are used in crime stats). The mere display of the gun averts an assault, without a shot being fired. These silent, and mostly unreported self defense encounters occur tenfold over criminal shootings that make up the yearly FBI crime statistics. See, Lott: "More Guns, Less Crime" Univ. of Chicago Press.

Further, even when a gun sits quietly in a drawer or holster, it is "in use" providing peace of mind and deterrence, the same way that smoke detectors in my home are in use by virtue of their readiness, without ever hopefully discharging an alarm.

Why own a gun? Because a gun can provide so much to its owner- it can feed you, entertain you and protect your life. Hunting for food is easiest with a firearm. Target shooting is a fun, healthy activity (it is even an Olympic sport). And of course, when two legged predators choose you, nothing else substitutes as a means of self defense.

Get the .40- make it a USA made Colt, Smith or Glock.

• Members

Not picking on my good friend, but I need to comment.

No need to insult by attempting to tie testosterone driven, megalomaniac motives to everyone who chooses to own a legal form of protection. It is such branding that polarizes disagreeing parties and attempts to marginalize the opposite side.

You believe the world would be a better place if there no weapons. I get it.

I also believe that. But I look around realize that the world is a treacherous place and that, sadly, there are real criminals who will only be stopped by death.

So a responsible citizens has the means to protect himself from home invasion, and also the means to prevent a government from becoming a dictatorship. I feel this is a good thing. Switzerland has had good results with this model.

The problem is that we focus on guns. Guns don't cause crime, but we act as if they do. The noble thought is "Eliminate all the guns and you will have a peaceful society". We have been distracted from the real issues that cause crime. While we are busy bickering about whether or not a citizen should be allowed to have a gun, the real causes of crime spiral out of control.

If all the guns were eliminated magically, you would still have all of the problems. The criminals would simply find other weapons. Shall we ban rocks, bats, kitchen knives, etc?

We allow ourselves to be polarized on this hot-point and become blind to real issues. A cynic might claim that clever politicians intentionally feed us inflammatory rhetoric to keep us at each others throats and to keep from focusing on the massive societal breakdown that produces people ready to kill for profit..

Much easier to keep us arguing about simple sound-bite issues than to provide jobs, safety, education, opportunity. Crime (and the need for guns) would mostly disappear if society provided opportunity.

The issue isn't whether or not guns SHOULD be needed. The issue is whether they actually ARE needed. I have no problem with law abiding citizens owning firearms. Firearm ownership is like a gigantic poll: "Do you believe society adequately provides for your safety?"

Don't blame the poll because you don't like the response.

But what do I know. I just play guitar.

I didn't mean to insult anyone, my friend - I just suspect that the "macho-man" is probably more likely to be a gun owner than a "non-macho-man". I'm pretty sure that if gun ownership was permitted in the UK I could predict fairly accurately which of my acquaintances would be the first to buy one.

But, of course, much of what you say - certainly regarding social ills etc - is true and no doubt the world would be a safer place if there was more equality in it - alas getting there is problematic.

However, I also have no doubt that the relative ease of procurring a gun in the USA contributes to thousands of unecessary deaths. Killing either yourself or some-one else with a gun is easier, less personal and more effective than by other methods. Some-one mentioned that, of the fatalities I quoted, approx half were suicides. Well OK - but don't most of us believe that an attempt at suicide is a "cry for help"? - it's very difficult to provide help to some-one who has blown the top of his/her head off but it can happen when a suicide attempt (by overdose etc) is unsuccessful.

If one prorata'ers the 2007 UK firearm deaths (which were 51) to the US population we get approx 250 whereas the actual US deaths in that year were 31,224 - that's 125:1. Now I think that is pretty scarey - each and every US citizen is 125 times more likely to be shot and die than each and every UK citizen! And that is just fatalities: approx another 70,000 US citizens were shot and wounded but survived with god know's what trauma and injury!

And you still think it's nothing to do with the possesion of firearms?

PS. I just play guitar too.

Archived