Had to :lol: when the Glasgow Rangers support arrived in their city

their council (local authority) couldnt run a table tennis match :lol:

never mind a European Final :p:)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's silly.

No it's not. Guns don't kill people, it's the people that shoot them that kill people.

I don't have a gun, none of my neighbours have guns, our local policeman does not have a gun. I cannot recall ever thinking that some-one might shoot me as I conduct my daily life.

• Members

No it's not. Guns don't kill people, it's the people that shoot them that kill people.

I don't have a gun, none of my neighbours have guns, our local policeman does not have a gun. I cannot recall ever thinking that some-one might shoot me as I conduct my daily life.

I have guns...most of my neighbors and friends have guns. I cannot recall ever thinking that someone might shoot me as I conduct my daily life.

• Members

Go with the gun. They are just another fun hobby us Americans get to have. Guns can be fun guys. Some people like archery and you don't bitch about it. The fact is I do some sharpshooting in my spare time and it is a hoot. I would never shoot anyone, period, even if it meant me being shot. The reason is because I can't imagine someone else dying on my account, but I enjoy the feel, sound, and all around looks of a nice gun. There is just something about holding and firing one that brings out a sort of lost instinct, and I feel everyone should be able to enjoy that at least once in their lifetime.

• Members

Impossible to answer, but since you are asking the guitar forum I am guessing you are looking to be talked into the guitar. Do you already own a handgun? If so you can go shooting when you want. You will likely play the guitar more then you will go shooting since guitar can be used in the house.

I am not anti-gun, I just think you will enjoy the guitar more.

One thing I always found ironic is how everyone carries a gun in small, low crime towns because it is so easy to get a license. But in big, high crime cities the only people who have guns are the police and the criminals.

• Members

The USA has one of the highest % of firearm deaths in the developed world whilst the UK has one of the lowest.

In 2007, there were 31,224 firearm fatalities in the USA. In the same year there were 51 firearm fatalities in the UK. Allowing for the different populations of the two countries that's 125 dead US citizens for every 1 dead UK citizen, by my reckoning.

• Members

Well, I'd get the pistol. I love my guitars, but to me it's very unlikely that they can save my life or prevent theft. Those that are not Americans can wonder at the love we folks have for firearms, but that's just us Yanks. I say 'Yanks' with some tripidation as I'm in Texas...

I'm gun gassing right now for the Beowulf .50..oh Lordy how I crave that baby! Trying to convince my wife to get one as a birthday/Christmas gift.

I'd give up my right cojone without anesthesia if I could get my hands on an AA12...but, no way, as they are illegal for private citizens. Dang!

So I'd give up my guitars before my firearms. Note that I like to customize my firepower as well as my guitars.

• Members

The USA has one of the highest % of firearm deaths in the developed world whilst the UK has one of the lowest.

In 2007, there were 31,224 firearm fatalities in the USA. In the same year there were 51 firearm fatalities in the UK. Allowing for the different populations of the two countries that's 125 dead US citizens for every 1 dead UK citizen, by my reckoning.

These numbers aren't exactly apples to apples, first off the UK has 64Billion People as opposed to the US 307. More people bigger chance of crime. Stabbing fatalities are also rising steeply in the UK.

• Members

On the gun death stats: Note that about 16,000 of those deaths were suicides, as that is the most effective way of offing oneself. About 12,000 were homocides -- still a significant number no doubt. Oddly [really, not so oddly] the highest homocide rates for gun deaths are always in the locations that have the strictest gun laws...

Here in Texas it legal to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle without restriction. Makes for a more courteous driving experience.

• Members

Well, I'd get the pistol. I love my guitars, but to me it's very unlikely that they can save my life or prevent theft.

Out of all the legitimate reasons to own a gun I find this the most unlikely. The gun might statistically have a .0000001% chance of saving a life but they are built to take lives not save them. As far as preventing theft, I wouldn't shoot a person over my prized Guild F50. A life is more important then personal possessions. I enjoy going to the range and shooting but I do not delude myself into thinking that one day something is going to happen and I am going grab my gun, get all Jack Bauer and save the day.

• Members

Yep, it's very, very unlikely that I will have to use any firearm to defend myself, my family, or my property. However, it's pretty unlikely that I will get in a fatal car crash, but I do have auto, life and health insurance. My firearms are a sort of insurance policy.

Aside form that, I really enjoy them as works of mechanical marvel, history, and they are plain fun to shoot. Aside from those reasons, I'm one of those people that believe that we will soon experience some breakdown in civil authority, at least for a while in various locations, possibly due to climate change or volcanic activity, etc. So I do not want to be at the mercy of any armed groups that may covet my abode or food or other necessities.

Paranoia? Perhaps...but I notice that old Ma Earth is in a very bad mood lately. I'm just saying...

Oh, btw, if you don't like guns, that is just fine with me. I respect that view. But the idea that any firearms are the cause of crime in the USA is just plain ludicrous.

• Members

Oh, btw, if you don't like guns, that is just fine with me. I respect that view. But the idea that any firearms are the cause of crime in the USA is just plain ludicrous.

I like handguns, and go shooting at the range, and have no problem with the laws the way they are either. I just don't think saving a life argument holds a lot of water since it's more likely the gun will get stolen and used in a crime or be part of a accident then it will save your life. Sure it's possible but it's pretty rare.

I live in a city that has very strict gun laws because of the high crime. I see both sides of that debate and on the fence. High crime mean more break ins which if the gun laws were lacked would mean more illegal guns in the wrong hands. Also I'm a little liberal when it comes to protection of property, I don't think it's right to kill a 15yr old junkie for trying to run off with my XBOX 360.

• Members

These numbers aren't exactly apples to apples,
first off the UK has 64Billion People as opposed to the US 307
. More people bigger chance of crime. Stabbing fatalities are also rising steeply in the UK.

I calculated the figures pro-rata on the two country's populations.

Archived