Just bought my first 12 string

chiro972

• Members

So I went to guitar center yesterday to look at an electric amp. I had been in previously and played a Martin mexican made 12 string that I kinda liked. When I went in the acoustic area yesterday there was this beautiful Alvarez aj60S-12 hanging there.

I played it and played the Martin. Went out of the area and thought and thought. I played a nice Taylor 12 string but the Alvarez price and playability and beauty kept calling to me. The top is solid Englemann spruce and the rest is maple (laminate?) the back is beautiful flame. The guitar didn't even have any pick marks on the guard and at $379 it seemed worth it to me so I bought it. I searched but couldn't find but one or two reviews. I'll post up pics later, but does anyone know if I got a good or bad deal?

(for the most part, I don't care because the guitar looks and plays so nice, the price was well worth it to me, but I'm still curious.)

Edit: Since I haven't gotten a response yet (you're all watching football aren't you?) Anyway, I've just been sat playing this thing and I have to say I've never been this happy with a guitar purchase. This thing is just lovely to look at, play and listen to.

• Members

First of all, Happy New Guitar Day!
When I was shopping for a new twelve, some four years ago, I almost bought that very guitar. You are correct in saying that the sound and playability are great. But, as I am forced to play sitting down, a jumbo is a bit big and starts cramping up my shoulder. If that were not the case, I would have bought it on the spot. The sound that came out of that guitar was mesmerizing. Beautiful sound.
I have seen that guitar advertised in the $400-500 range, so it seems as though you got a great deal. MSRP is $750. You did good. I'm hoping that you will post some sound from that guitar in the near future. Enjoy! :wave:

• Members

So I went to guitar center yesterday to look at an electric amp. I had been in previously and played a Martin mexican made 12 string that I kinda liked. When I went in the acoustic area yesterday there was this beautiful Alvarez aj60S-12 hanging there.

I played it and played the Martin. Went out of the area and thought and thought. I played a nice Taylor 12 string but the Alvarez price and playability and beauty kept calling to me. The top is solid Englemann spruce and the rest is maple (laminate?) the back is beautiful flame. The guitar didn't even have any pick marks on the guard and at $379 it seemed worth it to me so I bought it. I searched but couldn't find but one or two reviews. I'll post up pics later, but does anyone know if I got a good or bad deal?

(for the most part, I don't care because the guitar looks and plays so nice, the price was well worth it to me, but I'm still curious.)

Edit: Since I haven't gotten a response yet (you're all watching football aren't you?) Anyway, I've just been sat playing this thing and I have to say I've never been this happy with a guitar purchase. This thing is just lovely to look at, play and listen to.

Sweet score!!! :thu: Here's your goat!

coffee-dancing-goat.jpg

• Members

Welcome to the wonderful world of 12-ers !! It is commonly said that a 12-er is the grand piano of the guitar world. That's no lie :)

I've played a 12-er since the grand old age of 11 and to me, there's nothing like that wonderful sweet sound that only a 12-er can produce. (I'm older than dirt now and a 12-er is still the git-love-of-my-life. That will never change :) )

Many Congrats on your new 12-er - Enjoy it for a lifetime. Please post pics ...... and, perhaps some clips? We'd love to see/hear your new baby :D

• Members

When I was shopping for a 12-string two years ago, I came across that very model and had the same reaction as you. It was at a local mom & pop shop and they were asking about $550 for it. I kinda had it but I wasn't planning on spending that much. I ended up with a Yamaha FG-720S-12.

To this day, I yearn for that guitar and second-guess myself for not getting it.

Alvarez has discontinued the AJ60S product line so I would expect anything you find out there will be cheaper than what they used to go for. I think you got a great deal.

When everyone was blowing out Alvarez acoustics in the summer of '09, I saw the AJ60S, 6-string, on sale for $299 at Musician's Friend. I had never played one but having played the 12-string version, I figured it would be just as nice, so I jumped on it. I got another $40 off from a price match which made for a pretty good deal as well at $259.

I enjoy my 6-string, but I still have an empty lap where I wish that 12-string could be.

Congratuations. Here's your goats (one for the NGD and another for the octave string):

ppe_037.jpg

• Members

Another congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of twelve strings. I did play some model of Alvarez 12 that was a pretty nice guitar a while back - sounds like you got a good deal.

You might enjoy hanging out at the 12 String Cafe' - even tho its at the Martin site the discussions are pretty brand neutral.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/forums/7/t/The-12-String-Cafe.html

Now we can start all the 12 string jokes

"What does a 12 string sound like when its in tune?" "Nobody knows"

"My wife says I spend half my time tuning and half my time playing out of tune"

Leo Kottke said "This song starts like all my songs, with lots of tuning..."

• Members

Thanks for all the replies. I am still very pleased with this guitar. The action is amazingly low with no buzzing frets (Almost sounds like a Zager ad!!) I wish it had a pickup for playing through an amp, although I'm not playing outside the house much any more.

Anyway, thanks for the input on price. I obviously didn't get the greatest deal in the world but I think for the condition I got a very fair price.

One more question. I bought a crappy gig bag to keep it safe while I went shopping the rest of the day but I want to get a good HS case. Any suggestions? I saw that Alvarez makes one but it is one of those semi hard shell cases without a good wood or ABS outer shell. What cases do you folks like for your acoustics? One that comes in jumbo size is needed.

• Members

Congrats on your new guitar. There was a period in my life ('bout 10 years) where the only guitar I owned was a 12 string Yamaha. I loved playing that thing, but hated changing strings.

Good luck finding a case ... you may want to give craigslist a quick search, that way you could bring your guitar and check it out to see if it fits before buying.

• Members

Congratulations and HNTSGD! I love 12-strings. For some reason, I never had one until about two years ago, when I found a deal I couldn't pass up -- a Tak EG523SC-12 -- and it's become my go-to acoustic since then. I especially like it in combination with an electric 6-string; there are a lot of songs that when you add a 12-string playing rhythm just makes it "pop". I hope never to be without one again!

• Members

One more question. I bought a crappy gig bag to keep it safe while I went shopping the rest of the day but I want to get a good HS case. Any suggestions? I saw that Alvarez makes one but it is one of those semi hard shell cases without a good wood or ABS outer shell. What cases do you folks like for your acoustics? One that comes in jumbo size is needed.

I happen to believe that a gig bag isn't adequate protection for a guitar, but its better than nothing. Some 12's will fit in cases designed for the same body sized 6 string (Martins will) but the headstock is frequently longer and you might need a special case. I have had Cedar Creek (the custom case branch of TKL) make cases to fit my odd ball twelves, they are elegant, expensive and very long delivery. I'm also reminded of the quip from Kottke's vid where someone made a long scale 12 for him. He took a saw to the headstock and cut two tuners off so it would fit in an ordinary case.

Since both Guild and Taylor make jumbo 12 strings you might want to look at their case offerings.

• Members

Congrats on the 12 string. I have an old Alvarez 12 string that I got a couple of years ago. I love the thing. I tuned it down a full step to reduce the string tension. An old joke is: "How many people does it take to tune a 12 string guitar?" Answer: "No one knows." I really haven't had any trouble tuning mine or keeping it in tune. An electric tuner comes in real handy.

• Members

I've found that opinions seem rather divided on the "12-string question." Some find them little more than a novelty item, with no (or very little) real musical value. Others seem to consider 12-string sound very, very appealing. I fall into the second category, and hope to add a 12-string to the arsenal as soon as I find one that I can find one that works for me, and is in a price range that I can afford. Might take a few more months before I find it, but I DO plan to have one.

• Members

I've found that opinions seem rather divided on the "12-string question." Some find them little more than a novelty item, with no (or very little) real musical value. Others seem to consider 12-string sound very, very appealing. I fall into the second category, and hope to add a 12-string to the arsenal as soon as I find one that I can find one that works for me, and is in a price range that I can afford. Might take a few more months before I find it, but I DO plan to have one.

Novelty item? I don't think so. Some of the greatest recordings made featured a 12 String including some great artists - Leadbelly, Fred Neil, Byrds, Rooftop Singers, Searchers, Beatles, Kotke, Petty and on and on.

• Members

Novelty item? I don't think so. Some of the greatest recordings made featured a 12 String including some great artists - Leadbelly, Fred Neil, Byrds, Rooftop Singers, Searchers, Beatles, Kotke, Petty and on and on.

....Willie McTell, BBQ Bob, Pete Seeger, Arlo, Paul Geremia, Alvan Youngblood Hart, Art Sulger, Chris Proctor, Terry Allan Hall, SRV.....

and a few of the nice folks who hang out at HCAG

Archived