New Guitar Evening... :)

masterbuilt

• Members

I went to Guitar Center to compare a few guitars that I was considering and I ran into a deal on one that I could not let go. The gits I was considering were the Taylor GA3, the Guild GAD30, GAD25, and the Martin OM series (depending on what was available).

What I found was a used Martin D-15, not a scratch, with the case for $699 ($672 out the door after the ASCAP discount).

Here is a pic...

martin_d15.jpg

• Members

First Stack brings up info on a used MMV for $900 and now this? Aw man, that's IT. I'm going to my local GC to see what kind of used goodies might be there. If something follows me home I'll gladly endure the wife's wrath and spoon with my ill-gotten bounty on the couch. Or is the correct term "booty?" :freak:

But I digress...Congratulations, MB! I envy you, sir! ;)

• Members

First impressions... the action is a little higher than I'd like and I will fix that. Strings are also a little heavier than I'd like, so, I will restring the guitar. All the fret ends are nice and clean, there are no sharp edges. They are all dressed perfectly. The guitar tunes easily enough and it feels very well balanced.

I love the sound of this guitar. It is very sweet and will only get sweeter with age.

• Members

Update... I took the saddle down to 5mm on the starboard side... the high "E" string. The action is much nicer now. The sound is great. Using a flat file on the bottom of the saddle was a good idea and an easy process. The sustain is simply amazing, almost to the point of unreal. Considering that this is not a brass nut, brass saddle situation, it is uncanny just how much sustain the guitar has. I can't reach the truss rod with my present supply of wrenches. I will get one long enough to reach the truss rod from StewMac or a similar outfit. They are about $8.00 and worth the investment just in case it is ever needed.

My wife, sweet gal, loves the tone of the git and wants to take some pictures of me with the guitar later today.

• Members

I'm gonna have to get a barn for all those goats. :)

I am thoroughly pleased with this investment. Now, I hope Stackabones is equally satisfied when he finally comes home with that MMV or whatever guitar he finally chooses. You can find some good deals at Guitar Center and Sam Ash, but you have to check frequently. Good deals go fast.

• Members

So, did the purchase slake your GAS for an OM style guitar?

Or, will there be another NGD in your future?

Beautiful git. Enjoy.

For now... at least... the gas has subsided, but in the future, I might just have to find a nice OM. Good thing my wife is not sitting here watching me type this. :*p

• Members

Update... I took the saddle down to 5mm on the starboard side... the high "E" string. The action is much nicer now. The sound is great. Using a flat file on the bottom of the saddle was a good idea and an easy process.
The sustain is simply amazing, almost to the point of unreal.
Considering that this is not a brass nut, brass saddle situation, it is uncanny just how much sustain the guitar has. I can't reach the truss rod with my present supply of wrenches. I will get one long enough to reach the truss rod from StewMac or a similar outfit. They are about $8.00 and worth the investment just in case it is ever needed.

My wife, sweet gal, loves the tone of the git and wants to take some pictures of me with the guitar later today.

That is exactly why I bought an 000-15. When I first tried it out I was like "wow". The sustain on these all mahogany guitars is definitely amazing. :thu: After 4 years of playing it... it's even better. :)

Archived