OT: explain your avatar

kwakatak

• Members

This is one of the few forums where I have a graphic avatar and this one is pretty special to me (more on that later) but I'm wondering what is the thinking behind everyone else's avatars?

Mine is a sunrise that taken from my son's bedroom window. IIRC it was taken before he turned 2 (he's 5 now) and I used to be awakened early by him for some reason I can't recall. Anyway, being up that early for days on end in such a tired state tends to put me in a contemplative mood and think about the Big Picture and God and such. Well, directly to the east of us is a religious retreat, set back in the woods at the edge of our neighborhood. I don't know if you can make it out, but the top of the steeple is visible and on this day the rising sun shone directly through the opening. This in itself seemed like a beautiful moment but if you look at it a certain way, the glow around the steeple almost seems like and eye.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Neil, I'm sure your avatar has a lot more meaning to you than mine does to me. Mine is simply a copy of a piece of artwork that was posted on another forum. One of the members was displaying some of his wife's artistic talent and I just thought it was a nice work of art. Apparently the painting, at that time, was hanging in an art gallery somewhere in New York City, so, for all I know, I could be in violation of some copyright regulation. Willie's had a few songs that I liked, but in no way does it mean that I'm a big Willie fan. I just liked the painting, so I sort of "borrowed" it for my avatar.

• Members

Neil, I'm sure your avatar has a lot more meaning to you than mine does to me. Mine is simply a copy of a piece of artwork that was posted on another forum. One of the members was displaying some of his wife's artistic talent and I just thought it was a nice work of art. Apparently the painting, at that time, was hanging in an art gallery somewhere in New York City, so, for all I know, I could be in violation of some copyright regulation. Willie's had a few songs that I liked, but in no way does it mean that I'm a big Willie fan. I just liked the painting, so I sort of "borrowed" it for my avatar.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
This is one of the few forums where I have a graphic avatar and this one is pretty special to me (more on that later) but I'm wondering what is the thinking behind everyone else's avatars?

Mine is a sunrise that taken from my son's bedroom window. IIRC it was taken before he turned 2 (he's 5 now) and I used to be awakened early by him for some reason I can't recall. Anyway, being up that early for days on end in such a tired state tends to put me in a contemplative mood and think about the Big Picture and God and such. Well, directly to the east of us is a religious retreat, set back in the woods at the edge of our neighborhood. I don't know if you can make it out, but the top of the steeple is visible and on this day the rising sun shone directly through the opening. This in itself seemed like a beautiful moment but if you look at it a certain way, the glow around the steeple almost seems like and eye.
Very cool Neil! Nice to know the back-story.

My avatar is my namesake, Michael the Archangel. I use this image because we share a name but also because this particular sculpture (by Raffaelo da Montelupo, from 1536) is in the Castel Sant'Angelo in Rome, and Rome has figured very powerfully in my life (and especially my songwriting) for the past three years.

This Michael is marble with bronze wings, and it stands in a courtyard within the Castel. It once stood atop the Castel, but was eventually replaced by a larger all-bronze Michael in the 1700s. In both cases Michael is depicted sheathing his sword, a signal to pilgrims that danger had passed (whether the plague, sack of Rome, etc.) and they can safely make their way to nearby St. Peters.

Angel_da_Montelupo_SantAngelo.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post

Very cool Neil! Nice to know the back-story.

My avatar is my namesake, Michael the Archangel. I use this image because we share a name but also because this particular sculpture (by Raffaelo da Montelupo, from 1536) is in the Castel Sant'Angelo in Rome, and Rome has figured very powerfully in my life (and especially my songwriting) for the past three years.

This Michael is marble with bronze wings, and it stands in a courtyard within the Castel. It once stood atop the Castel, but was eventually replaced by a larger all-bronze Michael in the 1700s. In both cases Michael is depicted sheathing his sword, a signal to pilgrims that danger had passed (whether the plague, sack of Rome, etc.) and they can safely make their way to nearby St. Peters.

Angel_da_Montelupo_SantAngelo.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by poppytater View Post
I've always felt me and Popeye had a lot in common. Your avatar is lovely Neil, pay no attenton to FretFiend, she's been in a bad mood for the last few years.
Thanks, poppy. Have you seen the episode where Popeye goes to see the doctor? I hope you're doing better than he is!

As for FF's reply blissfully all I see on my phone is "?".

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by poppytater View Post
I've always felt me and Popeye had a lot in common. Your avatar is lovely Neil, pay no attenton to FretFiend, she's been in a bad mood for the last few years.
Thanks, poppy. Have you seen the episode where Popeye goes to see the doctor? I hope you're doing better than he is!

As for FF's reply blissfully all I see on my phone is "?".

• Members

Mine is rather obvious. It was from a photo shoot in Ventura, Ca. (circa 1976), to get some 8x10's for marquee placement for my first solo club engagement. Fortunately, the photographer was a female friend (very hot) and had me laughing all day long. "Wet your lips". "Work with me baby".......

Never actually used this one, but I always liked it. biggrin.gif

Paul

• Members

Mine is rather obvious. It was from a photo shoot in Ventura, Ca. (circa 1976), to get some 8x10's for marquee placement for my first solo club engagement. Fortunately, the photographer was a female friend (very hot) and had me laughing all day long. "Wet your lips". "Work with me baby".......

Never actually used this one, but I always liked it. biggrin.gif

Paul

Archived