So what do you do on stage?

expertune

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I rock out, it's natural for me to get into the tune, to slam my headstock down for big hits, or for cues to the other members (I'm the bas player/singer/bandleader....) I walk around the club if it's a song I'm not singing... I love my wireless guitarunit and IEMS....

I don't really enjoy watching the 'nailed to the floor and afraid to shake it' guy, I've been playing and watching bands long enough to have seen it too many times, it can really mess sup a bands overall image...

• Members

Well, I'd rather have a band making show on stage and giving me something to watch then a band standing there like they were protecting the king and queen. No matter how much the playing suffers from the sceneshow. That is what playing live is all about, you know. Who can play wrong, but still get through the song. If you wanna hear a band play flawless, put on a record.

• Members

Play guitar (and sometimes harmonica, with or without a rack). Sing. Talk to the audience. Back off the vocal mic during instrumental bits. Occasionally take quick swallow of beer between tunes.

Ummm ... that's it.

• Members

I get drunk and trip over the guitar cord, knockin my amp over..

only did it once tho..

:freak:
:freak:

Why.. they never asked you back???? :freak: haha

I am the lead singer and share lead guitar -- not much for me to do except sing -- and look up at the crowd, play guitar, change effects, smile, be witty....

the other guitarist though.. turns his back on the audience.... at 42 he's still got a touch of stage fright!

• Members

Depends on the music. I groove like some mad snake being "charmed" during solos, and headbang like Angus Young during rawkin' heavy stuff.

I'm pretty energetic, but I like to keep that cool kind of Slash posture :p With the guitar slightly raised on your knee groovin' as you fire out some licks...

And of course, yell at the audience. Sometimes those {censored}ers need motivating, while you're up there giving your all and they're just stood tapping one foot...

• Members
BK I wish I could spend 30 minutes playing on stage with you. I'm sure I'd never be the same...

:cool:

~Blackbelt

Aw, Steve, you're too kind. It depends a little bit on which band I'm playing with of course, how active I get onstage. In Crash Pad I try to stay moving a lot, but a smidgen less so with the side bands. As long as one communicates to the audience how much fun you're having it's all good-- eye contact and a big smile go just as far as some of the over the top stuff I do, in the right environment.

If you're not doing anything around Labor Day, that's when (Aug. 27-Sept. 2) the Gainesville Summer Music Showcase is this year, probably all 3 of my bands will be playing at some point during those few days.

• Members
752998710_696e7b232c_o.jpg

752147969_e17a85e456_o.jpg

541761144_524fd28c6a_o.jpg

541760944_7f4ff604a1_o.jpg

458391424_4119a54888_o.jpg

love the reeperbahn t-shirt, was there a few weeks ago ... stayed out until dawn and went to the fish market. what a place ... mardi gras on steroids with unbelievable legal prostitution. should have gotten the t-shirt too ! :cry:

• Members
Do some ballet dance, then poop on your guitar.

I almost wet myself laughing when I read this! :lol:

My wife once suggested I do the 80's hair band thing - wear tight black spandex, and stuff a banana down the front of my pants.

I think the main thing is what a couple of posters have already said: have fun. Whether that comes through as just tapping your toe and smiling, or jumping around and flailing with your best snarl. To each his own. The audience will be able to tell if it's genuine or not.

One last thing. I know (from teaching a presentation skills class at work) movement doesn't comes across to the audience nearly as strong as we think it does. There's have been times where I've really felt like I was workin' it on stage. But when I looked at video of it later, it looked much tamer than I thought.

Try it; you'll see what I mean.

• Members

I used to be a shoegazer, just standing motionless in my coner, but in the last couple years I've taken to dancing:freak:It's entirely involuntery and I'm sure it looks utterly foolish, but when we hit a good groove, I gotta move. Besides, I'm ugly and uncool as it is, I've got nothing to loose:D

Archived